Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS a/f knock amp

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2004, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS a/f knock amp

Greetings guys,
Id like some information about the HKS A/F Knock amp, as it sounds like a good buy to do my own tuning, below is a writeup about it at www.takakaira.com. Apparently i have to get my own o2 sensor which is specified below. I read that the installtion is complicated and requires tuning (according to vehicle). Any of you guys using it? Any comments?

My questions are at the end of the post. Please take sometime to me!!

HKS A/F-knock Amp
The A/F-knock Amp , combining an air-fuel monitor and knock monitor in a single unit, is now available. In the past , individual meters were installed to measure A/F and knocking so they could be cross-referenced with the settings. However, by using the A/F-Knock Amp, it is now possible to cross-reference these data in the settings of the F-CON V Pro. Even when used alone, it's now possible to monitor the knock level.

A/F Amp convert A/F values into electric Voltage and display data in real time.

Comes with air calibration function to correct the individual variation of the A/F sensor.
By using this in combination with F-CON V Pro, it is possible to log A/F values and feed back fuel adjustment values.
* A/F sensors that are known to be in use are as follows. Please acquire an A/F sensor and install .

NISSAN genuine part no : 22693-0M500
MITSUBSHI genuine part no : MD178976
HONDA genuine part no : 36531-P07-003

Knock Amp converts level into electric voltage. Displays on monitor in real time.

An phone terminal comes with the amp to allow the user to listen to the output.
Designed for both four-and-six- cylinder gasoline engines.
Logging of knock level is possible by using this together with F-CON V Pro.
* Knock level logging is not possible when the internal log is set.

* While this corresponds to the factory-designated knock sensor offered by auto manufacturers, car models that do not have knock sensors as standard equipment will require a separate non-resonant type sensor.

* The knock level input is usable only for those after F-CON V Pro Ver 3.01 and Power Writer Ver.3.01 .

List of major engine that can be monitored with Knock Amp alone.

TOYOTA
* 7M-GTE
* 1G-GE.GTE
* 4A-GE (89.5~)
* 4A-GZE
* 3S-GE/GTE
* 1JZ-GTE
* 2JZ-GTE

NISSAN
* RB26DETT
* RB25DET
* RB20DET
* VG30DET
* VG20DET
* SR20DE.DET
* SR18DE
* CA18DE.DET

MITSUBISHI
* 4G63 (Evo)

SUBARU
* EJ20

Right then, my questions are:

1. So its not plug and play? (requires tuning?)
2. Can I install the sensor in the stock o2 bung? (which I think is on the cat)
3. Can I just leave it there and constantly monitor my a/f? what are the cons of it besides buring it out at around 25k miles?
4. Is there a website/number in which i can order the o2 sensor? And how much?

Oh and I searched the threads and found that many believe its very expensive, upwards of $600. I found that on some sites like i-m racing and hop up racing that it cost $460-475. But of course it doesnt include the o2 sensor.

Any help is very very much appreciated!!!

Cheers guys.....
Old Apr 14, 2004, 04:42 PM
Account Disabled

it's an awesome piece, VERY expensive though - I think we may have a unit or 2 in stock.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you were looking for a wideband O2 sensor / knock sensor Id check out either AEM:

http://aempower.com/product_ems.asp (it's on the right)

or a J&S Knock Sensor

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/monitors.html

Both should be a tad less then that HKS unit, and fill your need for a wideband A/F meter...
Old Apr 14, 2004, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
it's an awesome piece, VERY expensive though - I think we may have a unit or 2 in stock.
how much are you guys selling it for? sensors?
Old Apr 14, 2004, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MattGold
If you were looking for a wideband O2 sensor / knock sensor Id check out either AEM:

http://aempower.com/product_ems.asp (it's on the right)

or a J&S Knock Sensor

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/monitors.html

Both should be a tad less then that HKS unit, and fill your need for a wideband A/F meter...
I was seriously thinking about getting the AEM UEGO, because it looks and sounds quality, i also like the LCD reading.... i found it at about $475 with the sensor...

But i still would like to hear about the HKS unit if anyone knows about it....
Old Apr 15, 2004, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

AEM UEGO is on sale here:

http://www.myevostore.com/product_in...2ee9c7efabb51a
Old Apr 15, 2004, 09:57 AM
Account Disabled

the problem with the AEM is does not datalog - other than that, its a really nice unit.

For the money, the best thing going IMHO is the Turbo XS Tuner 0- wideband 02 plus knock monitering and datalogging to anything that uses a Hyperterminal - Palm pilot, cheap laptop, etc etc. And under $700.00 including senors, wiring and fittings
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
the problem with the AEM is does not datalog - other than that, its a really nice unit.

For the money, the best thing going IMHO is the Turbo XS Tuner 0- wideband 02 plus knock monitering and datalogging to anything that uses a Hyperterminal - Palm pilot, cheap laptop, etc etc. And under $700.00 including senors, wiring and fittings
That's true but and at the same time I will probably be using the f-con vpro and the f-con navigator some time in the near future, so at 700 i might as well use the HKS unit no? does the HKS unit allow datalogging with any other e.c.u or just the HKS one? It not very clear....

Last edited by airtreking; Apr 15, 2004 at 10:39 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 03:07 PM
Account Disabled

I don't think the FCon Navigator can run the F Con Pr, but thats a whole other issue

As I understand it from the last time we used this piece (awhile ago now), it was a self contained unit
Old Apr 16, 2004, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

THe navigator controls the FCON Type SZ only I think.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

I am quite sure the f-con vpro works with the navigator, and its on their japanese web site, just make sure you have the updated version of the v pro...
Old Jan 29, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

The HKS knock amp is a self contained unit that will MONITOR knock and A/F ratio, but will do nothing to retard timing in the event of knock being present. Ken at Pruven has informed me on another thread that the J&S knock safeguard will not only monitor knock, but has the provisions to retard timing in the event of it's presence. It also has an A/F reading provision and a cool reader that will pop into a gauge pod.

The HKS Navigator will work with the V-Pro, but is only a heads up monitor for the sensor that the Vpro reads.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 04:46 AM
Former Sponsor

A/F Knock Amp http://hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=1694

The HKS A/F Knock Amp is an electronic monitoring device that displays two of the most vital engine conditions for tuning; engine knock and air/fuel ratio. Engine knock occurs when there is abnormal combustion knock as detonation; which can rob power, reduce engine longevity and even lead to catastrophic failure. The A/F Knock Amp utilizes the factory knock sensor, allowing you to monitor in real time engine knock visually and audibly via earphones (not included). By adding the optional HKS wide-band O2 sensor, air/fuel ratio can be monitored visually on the back-lit LCD display. A warning function can be set for both engine knock and air/fuel ratio where an audible alert sounds if the preset warning is reached.
Old May 24, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

check out the PLX R-500 Wideband, EGT, Knock plus 2 speed and 4 analog inputs you can DATALOG up to 6 inputs at a time all for under 600$