Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Act New Twin Disk Who Running One?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2023, 04:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by EvokidIX
I don’t live very far from them so I’ll probably be stopping by next week with the clutch
That is good news and thats awesome that you live close. When I called them about the dowell pin they said I could send it to them and they would drill it or I could do it myself. I just eliminated the dowell and made the ACT flywheel fit being I was pressed for time.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The fact they're taking care of it is cool, still a shame that's it was an obvious issue since the inception and people are having to take trans out after such low use.

Some of us are blessed with the ability to do it ourselves but for those that aren't, the time and money spent shoots up quickly. Fluids, labor, having someone that can facilitate the wait etc. Just bad all around.

I'm curious what the revision is to the release tab
Old Feb 10, 2023, 11:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD96
The fact they're taking care of it is cool, still a shame that's it was an obvious issue since the inception and people are having to take trans out after such low use.

Some of us are blessed with the ability to do it ourselves but for those that aren't, the time and money spent shoots up quickly. Fluids, labor, having someone that can facilitate the wait etc. Just bad all around.

I'm curious what the revision is to the release tab
Agreed. Learning to work on your own car is a REQUIREMENT for owning an evo. If I did not work on my own car through the years, with all the changes and fixes, I would probably be over $200,000 in debt and almost never have the car. Parts are already expensive as hell. Imagine labor.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 315 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by EvokidIX
I don’t live very far from them so I’ll probably be stopping by next week with the clutch
I have the same problem as reported earlier in this thread and I am using the organic disks. Just like you, clutch was fine and then one day I did a 1-3 pull and immediately afterwards I got clutch lockout just going into first gear. I adjusted the clutch all the way out to temporarily resolve, but it starts to engage immediately upon lifting the pedal and takes almost the entire pedal travel before it fully engages. This makes it a PIA to drive and there is clearly some type of design issue because for some reason the clutches are not fully releasing.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 03:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
I have the same problem as reported earlier in this thread and I am using the organic disks. Just like you, clutch was fine and then one day I did a 1-3 pull and immediately afterwards I got clutch lockout just going into first gear. I adjusted the clutch all the way out to temporarily resolve, but it starts to engage immediately upon lifting the pedal and takes almost the entire pedal travel before it fully engages. This makes it a PIA to drive and there is clearly some type of design issue because for some reason the clutches are not fully releasing.
I had mine like that originally and your right it sucks to drive. I am not really that hard on my car being I don't drive it as much right now but I had to push the pedal closer to the floor. Thankfully right now I don't have lock out issues but the pedal disengages about half way up and I can live with that.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 03:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 365 Likes on 245 Posts
Growing pains on a new product. Sorry some of you guys are having issues. Pulling the trans in these cars is a chore.
FWIW, I've got a exedy twin and triple in my cars. I feel the triple is better then the twin.
I'm going to pull the exedy triple out for inspection next month or so. Its been a great clutch and dealt with alot of slipping with the 75mph first gear in this car. Its quiet for the most part , engagement is easy to modulate . Its not perfect but seems to hold up well to 650-730lb ft of abuse. Turbo comes up hard .

Hopefully the splines and hub are ok. It was inspected a few years back. Then another 3000 miles were added.

The following 2 users liked this post by Abacus:
240Z TwinTurbo (Feb 10, 2023), staywide8 (Feb 11, 2023)
Old Feb 23, 2023, 06:00 PM
AP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@EvokidIX Any updates?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AP
@EvokidIX Any updates?
Works been crazy this week so I haven’t had a chance to drop the clutch off with them. I’m gonna start the warranty process right now so I can get the RMA number and get this taken care of
Old Feb 23, 2023, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AP
@EvokidIX Any updates?
Just submitted my claim. Now to wait on the RMA number needed to drop it off. I’ll keep you all updated
Old Mar 8, 2023, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Update:

Just got the clutch back from ACT with the revised floater plate. They had also recommended I switch from the ceramic 6 puck discs to the organic discs since I drive the car on the street. Since I’m switching to the organic discs they had me switch to the xtreme pressure plate as well since switching just the discs to organic ones changes the flywheel torque numbers from 895tq to 700tq. Switching to the xtreme pressure plate bumps me back up to 875tq to the flywheel using the organic discs. They went ahead and resurfaced the flywheel a little as well so everything’s fresh again.

From what I can see off the bat the floater plate springs are now wider than before. Hopefully they’re stronger as well. Hopefully by the end of this month I can have the car running again and we’ll see if it lasts.

The following 3 users liked this post by EvokidIX:
deylag (Mar 8, 2023), DontStopMe (Mar 12, 2023), EVO196 (Mar 9, 2023)
Old Mar 9, 2023, 01:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah now you can put it back together and have a light *** clutch lol. Idk what kinda tq your car makes but if its any indication it held 800 ft lbs on the dyno I was on in full kill mode. I have the same clutch as you do now.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

I am on my 2nd act twin. First one was swapped by act due to the finger springs breaking.

When the first one started to die, it got harder and harder to put it into 1st or reverse (then became impossible with the car running). Now the new one with the revised springs is starting to do the same thing.
Before I swapped the first one, I put a new oem master and slave in, hoping it would help. It didn’t. I have re-bled the thing about 10 times using all known methods for bleeding. (Mightvac, single pump and hold method (per TRE website) and the multiple pump and hold method.) No improvements.

I adjusted the pedal per TRE direction on both installs. The clutch was great for awhile. Held power. Engaged smooth. Then started getting harder to put into 1st and reverse again. So I adjusted the pedal yet again, (per jacks video) but now the pedal is damn near maxed out and it’s still rough getting into 1st and reverse. The replacement clutch has MAYBE 2000 miles on it.

The clutch is amazing to drive (when it works). Engages smoothly. No chatter. No noise. Can’t even tell it’s a twin… I love the clutch when it works. But I am beyond frustrated. Going to call ACT tomorrow. But not sure I want to try this clutch for a 3rd time. Debating on what clutch to run now. Leaning toward exedy twin or triple.

Just for reference, the car only has 49k miles. Still on stock turbo. Likely sub 400whp.

for those having success with the clutch, what’s your pedal engagement like? What height?
Old Apr 19, 2023, 01:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by luckybull
I am on my 2nd act twin. First one was swapped by act due to the finger springs breaking.

When the first one started to die, it got harder and harder to put it into 1st or reverse (then became impossible with the car running). Now the new one with the revised springs is starting to do the same thing.
Before I swapped the first one, I put a new oem master and slave in, hoping it would help. It didn’t. I have re-bled the thing about 10 times using all known methods for bleeding. (Mightvac, single pump and hold method (per TRE website) and the multiple pump and hold method.) No improvements.

I adjusted the pedal per TRE direction on both installs. The clutch was great for awhile. Held power. Engaged smooth. Then started getting harder to put into 1st and reverse again. So I adjusted the pedal yet again, (per jacks video) but now the pedal is damn near maxed out and it’s still rough getting into 1st and reverse. The replacement clutch has MAYBE 2000 miles on it.

The clutch is amazing to drive (when it works). Engages smoothly. No chatter. No noise. Can’t even tell it’s a twin… I love the clutch when it works. But I am beyond frustrated. Going to call ACT tomorrow. But not sure I want to try this clutch for a 3rd time. Debating on what clutch to run now. Leaning toward exedy twin or triple.

Just for reference, the car only has 49k miles. Still on stock turbo. Likely sub 400whp.

for those having success with the clutch, what’s your pedal engagement like? What height?
My pedal is very light to drive, My height is about maybe a little less then half way off the floor. Idk if its just the fluid but with a brand new trans its starting to grind second gear. Idk if its an adjustment thing or what, but it doesn't do it all the time just from first to second. Its not really a huge grind but you can tell its not quite going into gear so maybe its just an adjustment. I haven't had time to really get in there and look at it yet.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Mine was getting a bit notchy going into 2nd as well. my trans is a fresh TRE rebuild, so i know its not a trans issue. hopefully its not a sign of things to come with yours!
Old Apr 19, 2023, 03:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by luckybull
Mine was getting a bit notchy going into 2nd as well. my trans is a fresh TRE rebuild, so i know its not a trans issue. hopefully its not a sign of things to come with yours!
I think its because I am running GL5 in it. I just think its the cold weather. I drove the car today and it wasn't notchy at all so who knows. Maybe yours is the same thing just cold weather. What kinda fluid are you running?

Quick Reply: Act New Twin Disk Who Running One?