Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Act New Twin Disk Who Running One?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2023, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CurseDSM
I think its because I am running GL5 in it. I just think its the cold weather. I drove the car today and it wasn't notchy at all so who knows. Maybe yours is the same thing just cold weather. What kinda fluid are you running?
When my trans was notchy running Redline MT85 or running 2 MT90 with 1 MTL I switched to Amsoil and haven’t had a problem since

Old Apr 19, 2023, 03:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Thats good info thanks evokidix, I know this is crazy sounding but I run Schaeffers 75w140. I was going to switch back to 75w90 but I cannot get it at my local Schaeffers dealer being he has to order it and he can only get it in a 5 gallon bucket which is 360 bucks. Oddly enough the 140 has the same viscosity as the 90 and has way more protection. Plus with the hp level I am at my Schaeffers dealer said he talked to Schaeffers and they told him to tell me to run the 140. He said it should hold up and keep the trans and t case happy.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CurseDSM
Thats good info thanks evokidix, I know this is crazy sounding but I run Schaeffers 75w140. I was going to switch back to 75w90 but I cannot get it at my local Schaeffers dealer being he has to order it and he can only get it in a 5 gallon bucket which is 360 bucks. Oddly enough the 140 has the same viscosity as the 90 and has way more protection. Plus with the hp level I am at my Schaeffers dealer said he talked to Schaeffers and they told him to tell me to run the 140. He said it should hold up and keep the trans and t case happy.
On my other Evo 9 I was having really bad lockout issues when it was cold out and I found out the previous owner was running Redlight lightweight shock proof 75w140. I switched that car to Amsoil as well and it solved all my lockout issues. I’m able to buy Amsoil at my local Napa auto parts stores. Maybe you could look into that and see if anyone carries it
Old Apr 19, 2023, 04:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EvokidIX
On my other Evo 9 I was having really bad lockout issues when it was cold out and I found out the previous owner was running Redlight lightweight shock proof 75w140. I switched that car to Amsoil as well and it solved all my lockout issues. I’m able to buy Amsoil at my local Napa auto parts stores. Maybe you could look into that and see if anyone carries it
That maybe an idea being the stuff I would normally run with the Schaeffers is to expensive. I mean Ive spent 5x what I paid for my house by now just in the car and I hate to cheap out but it seems like the best option. Hopefully its not the clutch just being a *****.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's so sad to see all these issues with the ACT twin still after all this time.

ACT neds to start reimbursing people labor/fluids because this is not a cheap situation and the issues are still happening.

QM 8 Leg Street is a great option for those needing a great driving/shifting clutch that holds TQ, while still being reasonably priced
Old Apr 23, 2023, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I occasionally get the first gear and reverse lock out. It’s frustrating as I was told having a cracked clutch pedal box may have contributed to it. The pedal box has since been fixed with a replacement. What a pain in the *** this clutch has been.Just a rant.

If anyone here is planning to switch to another clutch which brand/model would be the one?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 01:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 313 Likes on 127 Posts
Up to around 550 ft/lb at the wheels (dynojet), the ORC P659 clutch is the best on the market.
Shifting amazingly, easy to drive, soft pedal.
No lockout issues, extremely well proven.
Comes balanced out of the box (flywheel AND floaters), it's a great solution.
The following users liked this post:
iD33 (Apr 24, 2023)
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,560 Likes on 1,338 Posts
We are not very happy with ours. The engagement sucks and we have lock out issues. Will likely put a an Exedy triple back in the next time have the trans out.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 313 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
We are not very happy with ours. The engagement sucks and we have lock out issues. Will likely put a an Exedy triple back in the next time have the trans out.
How far can you push a triple until they give up?
850ftlbs or so?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 12:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,560 Likes on 1,338 Posts
Originally Posted by RSMike
How far can you push a triple until they give up?
850ftlbs or so?
Yeah, a ****ing lot. This car makes about 720wtq on kill. We tried to get away from the triple because it's really mostly a street car, and we don't like how makes that makes center hub/clutch disk engagement splines wear.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 04:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
Yeah, a ****ing lot. This car makes about 720wtq on kill. We tried to get away from the triple because it's really mostly a street car, and we don't like how makes that makes center hub/clutch disk engagement splines wear.
I hear you on getting away from the triple, it makes a lot of funny noises and is more suited towards a drag car. Though it will hold launch power every, single, time. The Xclutch twin that I've been using this year has been performing well thus far (XKMI23522-2A) rated for 740 trq. If you feel like rolling the dice on a different manufacturer, they make an unsprung carbon twin disk rated to 1230 trq for a build like yours (XKMI23522-2P). The unsprung ceramic version is rated to 1350 trq (XKMI23522-2E). Even the organic unsprung is rated to 1020 trq, but of course, it won't do too well with launches over time (XKMI23522-2G) lol. I suppose that the high torque tends to break the sprung hub of these disks, which is why the sprung counterparts are rated for less torque.

They do offer sprung twin disk clutches in pull to push conversion that handle around 900 trq as well.

Last edited by Pal215; Apr 27, 2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 04:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Pal215
I hear you on getting away from the triple, it makes a lot of funny noises and is more suited towards a drag car. Though it will hold launch power every, single, time. The Xclutch twin that I've been using this year has been performing well thus far (XKMI23522-2A) rated for 740 trq. If you feel like rolling the dice on a different manufacturer, they make an unsprung carbon twin disk rated to 1230 trq for a build like yours (XKMI23522-2P). The unsprung ceramic version is rated to 1350 trq (XKMI23522-2E). Even the organic unsprung is rated to 1020 trq, but of course, it won't do too well with launches over time (XKMI23522-2G) lol. I suppose that the high torque tends to break the sprung hub of these disks, which is why the sprung counterparts are rated for less torque.

They do offer sprung twin disk clutches in pull to push conversion that handle around 900 trq as well.
I was on the fence seeing this clutch at the shootout last year. It is identical to the ACT but it was this or the ACT. I am interested in seeing how yours reacts over time. I have about 5300 on mine and it locks out sometimes but not all the time. So idk if its an adjustment thing or maybe my fluid or whatever but once the car warms up quite a bit after driving its fine. No lock outs no nothing other then maybe an occasional grind. I am still working on that and I am not sure what to do. I would be open again to looking at one of the other clutches that support higher tq being my car does make over 800 ft lbs and the clutch does slip in full kill mode ( not that it sees that yet). Sean can you elaborate on how and when yours locks out?
Old Sep 18, 2023, 05:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
so i have about 1500 miles on mine, recently completed my new turbo set up with EFR8474. I have now about 15 full passes on the clutch and its holding up fine for now.
The following users liked this post:
DontStopMe (Sep 21, 2023)
Old Sep 20, 2023, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
I've been noticing some lock outs on my act time. Engagement has been a little wonky too.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 03:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by blackline
I've been noticing some lock outs on my act time. Engagement has been a little wonky too.
Mine is that way too. I notice it started to slip at the shootout according to my data when I was reviewing it. I will say my car sucked flat out sucked.

Quick Reply: Act New Twin Disk Who Running One?