Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Act New Twin Disk Who Running One?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2023, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CurseDSM
This clutch has lasted in my car for over a year now and I make well over 800 ft lbs of tq on kill mode and it only starts to slip at about 8500 rpms on the dyno. I am also on an organic disc. When it’s time to rebuild I will go ceramic disc to help keep it alive.
Thats good to hear! Hopefully my revised version lasts as well. Im just waiting on my buddy to finish making my custom spherical bearing suspension bushings so I can get aligned before I hit the dyno

Last edited by EvokidIX; Feb 26, 2024 at 06:08 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 136 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by EvokidIX
I‘ve seen the clutch pedal failure happen a lot. The pedal bracket itself starts to crack. The one on my 9 started doing this but l had a spare pedal assembly I replaced it with. I’m gonna have my buddy weld mine up since it wasn’t as bad as others I’ve seen.

I’m actually surprised mine broke since I’ve never ran a heavy clutch set up like the ACT single discs. Since I bought the car new, I’ve only ever ran the Exedy organic, Clutchmasters single disc, Exedy twin disc, 8 leg Quartermaster twin disc, and this ACT mod twin. All soft pedal clutches compared to the ACT singles
Interesting. I guess maybe I should take a look at mine. I haven't noticed anything but I ran the HDSS for like 3 years and have an Exedy twin now.
I'd rather catch and reinforce it now if there is something happening.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Guys how is the act twin working so far. I have qm 8 leg and love how it shift at 9krpm but I hate the noise. If I would have rod knock I would probably not notice it because clutch is rattling all the time hahah I am considering act twin. Do they still have problems or was it fixed by act? Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2024, 01:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by krys88
Guys how is the act twin working so far. I have qm 8 leg and love how it shift at 9krpm but I hate the noise. If I would have rod knock I would probably not notice it because clutch is rattling all the time hahah I am considering act twin. Do they still have problems or was it fixed by act? Thanks
You would know if you had rod knock. Specially on cold start ups and if your clutch is rattling all the time then you have something wrong. The only time it should rattle is when the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor. And for what I have been reading and researching ACT says that the engagement issues at high rpms is due to the clutch not being out far enough and the discs are still hitting the flywheel. Idk if I believe that or not. I know most people go by what Jacks clutch adjustment but I don't buy that either. I have killed multiple Exedy tripples doing it that way and those aren't exactly cheap to rebuild even at cost. So with that said I would say no problem isn't fixed yet unless someone has come up with a solution and I haven't seen it yet.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You would know if you had rod knock. Specially on cold start ups and if your clutch is rattling all the time then you have something wrong. The only time it should rattle is when the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor. And for what I have been reading and researching ACT says that the engagement issues at high rpms is due to the clutch not being out far enough and the discs are still hitting the flywheel. Idk if I believe that or not. I know most people go by what Jacks clutch adjustment but I don't buy that either. I have killed multiple Exedy tripples doing it that way and those aren't exactly cheap to rebuild even at cost. So with that said I would say no problem isn't fixed yet unless someone has come up with a solution and I haven't seen it yet.

I know I was just purposely exaggerating with the rod knock etc, what I mean QM 8 leg is crazy loud, you can hear it on idle and on deceleration, and when you push the clutch to the floor and it is completely normal. Besides the noise it is the best clutch to beat on. I can make 15k-20k miles beating the hell out of it, lunching at 900whp evo and this clutch is just awesome, but as I am getting older the noise is making me crazy but I guess it's the way it needs to be. I was thinking to switch to act twin but looks like they have some issues so I think I will stay with QM for now.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
No slicks, locked tunes and a really laggy *** turbo lol . No matter what I did with my launch control I was still at 16 lbs of boost off the line and it would blow the tires off in first, second and churp them good in 3rd according to a couple of logs I had. First pass I blew the coupler off the turbo lol. After that I just couldn't get it to hook at all and 2.5 seconds for the turbo to recover (53 lbs to 3 lbs on shift) just made it miserable. I wanted to ask you about your turbo. Aren't you running a 6871 or a 7175 or something like that? I may go down to a 6466 size myself but I wanted to ask what the spool was like on either one if u had them?
Going off topic here, but I was going back reading through some of the replies and this one reminds me of the issues David Buschur was having with his Evo Bad Bish. Do you have anything done to the suspension bushings? With his Evo, my old friend at Robispec developed some spherical bearing bushings that helped Buschur with his issues. It replaces 10 bushings in the rear and 2 more up front. Drivability feel around town is not affected like you might think. I’ve been daily driving on them for over 11 years now and barley notice they’re there until I actually drive the car hard and it hooks and books.

Robi passed away a while back, but I just started building the same exact bushings again that he was selling. If you’re interested let me know

The following users liked this post:
Justin Morrill (Feb 20, 2024)
Old Feb 20, 2024, 04:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Why does ACT hate me? And that makes #2 now ...less then 1500miles ... wouldn't let transmission go into gear without the car turned off. Anybody wanting to buy this pos? Cause im done with it.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 04:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Justin Morrill

Why does ACT hate me? And that makes #2 now ...less then 1500miles ... wouldn't let transmission go into gear without the car turned off. Anybody wanting to buy this pos? Cause im done with it.
Did you readjust it before you tried to put it into gear?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 05:15 PM

Did you readjust it before you tried to put it into gear?
yes made every effort before pulling trans
Old Feb 20, 2024, 08:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts

That sucks man. What clutch did you have before the ACT twin? Seems so odd to have the same issue twice with such low miles.

Old Feb 20, 2024, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by DontStopMe
That sucks man. What clutch did you have before the ACT twin? Seems so odd to have the same issue twice with such low miles.
competition clutch ... stage two
Already ordered a stage 4 with flywheel ordered 🙏🙏
Old Feb 21, 2024, 01:36 AM
EvoM Guru

yes made every effort before pulling trans
Trying to help you with this little issue. How far would the pedal go before it felt like the clutch released? I know on my car it is fairly low or maybe half way off the floor before it starts to engage. I know some people follow the Jacks video to adjust theirs but that puts the pedal way up high and makes the car really hard to drive. Either way that sucks my man I would keep sending it back and make them fix it. I mean it sucks but better then dropping 1500 or more on an Exedy.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 01:38 AM
EvoM Guru

competition clutch ... stage two
Already ordered a stage 4 with flywheel ordered 🙏🙏
Damn it I didn't see this post lol. I would warrenty it and then sell it as new at this point.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,
If you are really fixing it and selling, how much would you be asking? I may be interested
Old Feb 21, 2024, 04:55 PM

Trying to help you with this little issue. How far would the pedal go before it felt like the clutch released? I know on my car it is fairly low or maybe half way off the floor before it starts to engage. I know some people follow the Jacks video to adjust theirs but that puts the pedal way up high and makes the car really hard to drive. Either way that sucks my man I would keep sending it back and make them fix it. I mean it sucks but better then dropping 1500 or more on an Exedy.
My issue was the car wouldn't let me shift into any gear while running.
Thank you for trying to help!

Last edited by Justin Morrill; Feb 21, 2024 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Act New Twin Disk Who Running One?