Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Act New Twin Disk Who Running One?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2021, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by EvokidIX
That’s good to hear! Hopefully the few that have had issues were just install error. I noticed the ACT hub won’t slide all the way down the input shaft splines on mine so I’m gonna be swapping out the input shaft with another one I have sitting here that is does slide all the way in on. Glad I checked that 👌🏽

Don't forget to use the lube act supplied on the spine.

Got my T2S-01 installed, just haven't took the car off the stands yet.
The following users liked this post:
EvokidIX (Nov 22, 2021)
Old Nov 22, 2021, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blackline
Don't forget to use the lube act supplied on the spine.

Got my T2S-01 installed, just haven't took the car off the stands yet.
Yup I lubed the splines after swapping out the input shaft. I already got her back together and this clutch for sure is gonna take some getting used too. The pedal is way softer compared to my old Exedy twin, but taking off in first gear feels about the same though.

I did notice the clutch pedal grabs higher now. Doesn’t take much to get it into gear either. Maybe 3 inches or so? Anyone else experiencing this? I already had the clutch pedal adjusted all the way up for the Exedy so I just left it. I already bled the clutch slave cylinder manually and with a Motive power bleeder too, but that didn’t change anything

EVO196 (Nov 23, 2021)
Old Nov 23, 2021, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by EvokidIX
Yup I lubed the splines after swapping out the input shaft. I already got her back together and this clutch for sure is gonna take some getting used too. The pedal is way softer compared to my old Exedy twin, but taking off in first gear feels about the same though.

I did notice the clutch pedal grabs higher now. Doesn’t take much to get it into gear either. Maybe 3 inches or so? Anyone else experiencing this? I already had the clutch pedal adjusted all the way up for the Exedy so I just left it. I already bled the clutch slave cylinder manually and with a Motive power bleeder too, but that didn’t change anything

Oh yea, others were right. It does feel stockish. Much much lighter than my single disc ACT.
240Z TwinTurbo (Nov 23, 2021)
Old Nov 25, 2021, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Since you went from a exedy twin to act twin how do you feel the shifting is? I feel like my shifting is almost kinda notchy ish or dosent seem to feel like butter but then again hard to say my drive-train setup is barely broken in, just curious of feel between exedy twin and act twin
Old Nov 25, 2021, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostindsm22
Since you went from a exedy twin to act twin how do you feel the shifting is? I feel like my shifting is almost kinda notchy ish or dosent seem to feel like butter but then again hard to say my drive-train setup is barely broken in, just curious of feel between exedy twin and act twin
Might just be the fluids. What are you using? Mine shifts like butter and my trans setup is still breaking in as well. I just rebuilt my trans with SynchroTech carbon synchros, new OEM sliders and spring, and a PAR Engineering 1.0 ratio double synchro straight cut 4th (uses the same synchro as 3rd now). When I was on Redline MT85 or 2 MT90s and 1 MTL both felt notchy, but I just switched to Amsoil and noticed a huge difference

BTW Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 🦃

Old Nov 25, 2021, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Im running REDLINE 75W90NS GL-5 Gear Oil, maybe i should try some amsoil or motul i was just going off the tre info, transmission is great all around, maybe have to experiment with fluids

Old Dec 26, 2021, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
My Twin Mod did it to me again. Start up car, locked out of gears. When I miraculously get into 1st clutch engages right off the floor. Checked for leaks in cabin and engine bay, none found. Clutch pedal assembly intact no cracks. Shifter cables checked in cabin and engine bay, nothing out of ordinary found. Haven’t participated in autocross since the floater plate was replaced. Been daily driving the past few months. Only thing I can attribute to the issue is cold starts with the engine RPM holding at 2K until coolant temperature reaches 100 degrees F. I would move the car out of the garage to warm up. Anyone have a similar issue? RRE mentioned another owner with the Twin Mod clutch had the same part replaced.

Edit: TRE 5 speed transmission with MOTUL GEAR 300 75W90 fluid. Can get into gear with the engine off.

Last edited by iD33; Dec 26, 2021 at 12:59 PM.
Justin Morrill (Mar 2, 2022)
Old Dec 26, 2021, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Wow i haven't had these issues yet, that seems very odd i was hoping this clutch was going to be the new best thing.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iD33
My Twin Mod did it to me again. Start up car, locked out of gears. When I miraculously get into 1st clutch engages right off the floor. Checked for leaks in cabin and engine bay, none found. Clutch pedal assembly intact no cracks. Shifter cables checked in cabin and engine bay, nothing out of ordinary found. Haven’t participated in autocross since the floater plate was replaced. Been daily driving the past few months. Only thing I can attribute to the issue is cold starts with the engine RPM holding at 2K until coolant temperature reaches 100 degrees F. I would move the car out of the garage to warm up. Anyone have a similar issue? RRE mentioned another owner with the Twin Mod clutch had the same part replaced.

Edit: TRE 5 speed transmission with MOTUL GEAR 300 75W90 fluid. Can get into gear with the engine off.
Any update on this ?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Waiting on the shop to give me an assessment.

Edit: Shop gave me a new Twin Mod Clutch assembly with the centering springs on the floater plate removed. ACT recommended it considering the centering springs broke previously. I don’t notice a difference in pedal feel. The old unit is going back to ACT.

Last edited by iD33; Jan 5, 2022 at 07:08 PM.
Justin Morrill (Mar 2, 2022)
Old Jan 24, 2022, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Is an adjustable clutch pedal stop useful at all for this thing?

I don't have an opinion on the clutch yet, I think my pedal needs adjustment or transmission needs a rebuild. Sure is light though.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 09:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My car is finally on the road and I had a chance to drive it yesterday while its still at the shop being completed.
The clutch feels smooth and the pedal feel is great.

I did a few 2nd and 3rd gear pulls at 550whp and it shifts great. Now only time will tell how it holds up. I am taking delivery on saturday and will start doing alot more mileage with it and might be drag racing it end of Feb so will see how it holds up with a few launches.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 09:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well mine failed me ......only 6000miles, the little piece was found in between the throwout bearing and input tube not completely releasing.

Very poor communication between ACT & I, but I did receive the clutch back in a week with a resurface and all new internals.

Hope this doesn't happen again, has anyone had the " tabs " removed.... since it wanted to remove itself already?

Old Mar 3, 2022, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Justin Morrill
Well mine failed me ......only 6000miles, the little piece was found in between the throwout bearing and input tube not completely releasing.

Very poor communication between ACT & I, but I did receive the clutch back in a week with a resurface and all new internals.

Hope this doesn't happen again, has anyone had the " tabs " removed.... since it wanted to remove itself already?

Mine failed that same little tab, but I was lucky enough it landed somwhere that it did not damage anything else, although getting my car to shift was a nightmare. ACT replaced my entire floating disk cost-free

BTW, I am in Costa Rica and I spoke to Eric from ACT customer support, he was great!
Justin Morrill (Mar 3, 2022)
Old Mar 3, 2022, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

I never got to see the problem on my floater plate but RRE mentioned the problem was at the same spot as pictured. Check with ACT and see if they recommend drilling out the floater plate springs. It was recommended in my case since it broke twice after 6 months. The ACT representative can reference my case.

Quick Reply: Act New Twin Disk Who Running One?