Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Act New Twin Disk Who Running One?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD96
I'm super curious about the ones who've had failures and what the clutches life was like. It seems that those tabs wouldn't break under normal city driving just due to function and some type of hard shifting or launching would have to do it.

I drive my car hard, like what most consider hard times 3. So if others are seeing the failures under light duty it makes me think I may as well go Exedy again
I’ve had issues with Exedy along with others that make a decent amount of torque. The springs don’t last on the twins. The discs still measured at 3.7mm.

The hub on the triple can destroy the discs.

Rebuilds kits for both these have doubled in price now as well. They’re nice clutches. I just wish they lasted longer.

The following users liked this post:
Pal215 (Jan 7, 2023)
Old Mar 23, 2022, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EvokidIX
I’ve had issues with Exedy along with others that make a decent amount of torque. The springs don’t last on the twins. The discs still measured at 3.7mm.

The hub on the triple can destroy the discs.

Rebuilds kits for both these have doubled in price now as well. They’re nice clutches. I just wish they lasted longer.

The splined hub chewing up the splines on the discs is an engagement issue associated with the adjustment. Essentially people had the clutches engaging too high which caused from alot of movement of those discs when the pedal was depressed. Evan Kline the former rep at Exedy gave me the rundown on that years ago.

As far as the twin, I know they're not ment for 140mph trap cars but for 130mph or so setups I think they're great. I'm coming from an 8 Leg Street which did well but I want something that's nicer to drive and easier on synchro's this time around.

Which brings me even further into curiosity on the ACT issues haha. I want to believe it is the best thing out there but need more intel
Name User (Mar 25, 2022)
Old Mar 25, 2022, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Is there a clutch pedal adjustment procedure that's recommended for these? For my previous ACT singles I had adjusted the pedal really high up. I rotated both the normal screw and also that other one with the sensor on it.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Just an update..

Been over 2 weeks now. Corresponded with Mike and Eric in customer service. Both said they'd get some answers from engineering, never heard back from either.

All of the failures have been on low power cars with normal usage. Beautiful looking unit, genius design, too many of those release tab failures for me to risk. Even on the FB Evo/Mitsubishi pages it's a common thing more and more everyday. Kind of a shame.
The following 2 users liked this post by AWD96:
EVO196 (Mar 29, 2022), Juz10xD (Mar 29, 2022)
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stumbled across this thread while researching the ACT mod twin. Currently i have a QM 8 leg that lasted a whole 18k miles so was looking to replace it.
before the QM i had a exedy twin but and i kept it to rebuild at a later date but holy crap the prices of disks are crazy!
Saw this clutch come up when searching for a twin, im around 400ish hp and typically use a twin for the softer pedal due to my knee, but seeing some of these issues is making me a bit nervous and it seems no one had much for miles on one of these yet.
guess ill let my car sit a while and see how this stuff pans out.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD96
How many miles? And what type of power/driving are you doing with it?

I probably have about 2,000 miles on it, on this motor setup around 550+hp shifting at 8-8500 with no issues, never have launched it just aggressive driving and pulls, in fall will see what it does with new motor setup and really push it. also finally got haltech installed so ill have a lot more miles on it this year when this weather changes.
EVO196 (Apr 4, 2022)
Old Apr 5, 2022, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

I still have yet to receive an explanation or response regarding the issue from ACT for what its worth. Unfortunately the design and press it received isn't enough to convince me to chance an issue especially for there just being a big dark cloud over the problems.

The best answer Ive received is they (Reps at ACT who have already dealt with others on this problem) don't know of any issues and its a popular clutch.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

BUMP!

Found another unfortunate soul via FB that suggered the spring tab failure very recently. Still no feedback from ACT after many attempts to get intel because I so badly wanted to run this clutch.

Looks like drilling the anti rattle spring tabs out is the best bet for those looking to run it. Kind of sad it's at that point especially with the feedback on this unit from the real world being 9:1 problems vs success.
iD33 (Apr 27, 2022)
Old Apr 28, 2022, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's weird these things are failing so much AND that customer support is not working on this.
I personally had the spring/tabs on the floater break, 2 of them and clutch would not disengage

I daily-drive my evo with the street setup. It is about 320hp ATW, not so much power but after the floater failed, they got back really quick and replaced under warranty. I bought an extra set of discs just in case in the future, I am also planning to buy a spare floater just in case. Other than that my experience has been overall great. I am in Costa Rica
Old Apr 28, 2022, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by arkangel13
It's weird these things are failing so much AND that customer support is not working on this.
I personally had the spring/tabs on the floater break, 2 of them and clutch would not disengage

I daily-drive my evo with the street setup. It is about 320hp ATW, not so much power but after the floater failed, they got back really quick and replaced under warranty. I bought an extra set of discs just in case in the future, I am also planning to buy a spare floater just in case. Other than that my experience has been overall great. I am in Costa Rica
That's the problem. Aside from complete failure and having to take the trans out and buy all new fluids and wait for replacement parts and then know it's going to fail again, it's great haha.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
damn, I can only hope I don't have this issue
Old Apr 30, 2022, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

I guess everyone's is diffrent but, Mines going strong 0 issues, not saying i wont get any but just got retuned and so Far so good.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I remember those days! , Tripple Disk Excede never talked about it again
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BUMP I’ve been following this thread for awhile. Curious if anyone has heard anything new from act. I’ve had two Exedy twin discs fail on me and thinking of making the switch to act but these failures have me in limbo on what to do..
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

I'm still running my act twin with no issues and 0 problems, i have never launched the car but its been beat on pretty good. this winter I'm switching motors it will be interesting to see how it has been wearing so far.

Quick Reply: Act New Twin Disk Who Running One?