Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Act New Twin Disk Who Running One?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoRinga
BUMP I’ve been following this thread for awhile. Curious if anyone has heard anything new from act. I’ve had two Exedy twin discs fail on me and thinking of making the switch to act but these failures have me in limbo on what to do..
Mines still running strong with zero issues. I beat the crap out of my Evo 9 every time I drive the car too. I’ve been stuck in stop and go traffic a few times as well and the floater plate springs seem to be holding on strong still 👍🏽
Old Oct 28, 2022, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been following this thread since my QM started slipping in April. Anton have long term use on this?
Wasn’t thrilled that I only got around 18k from the QM. Is drilling out the springs still a solution to keep them reliable?
thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 08:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Rxracer
Been following this thread since my QM started slipping in April. Anton have long term use on this?
Wasn’t thrilled that I only got around 18k from the QM. Is drilling out the springs still a solution to keep them reliable?
thanks.
The clutch in these cars is a fuse. Between AWD and power the clutch is a wear item.

If you needed a QM, I'd presume you're making 700whp+ . Its a good racing clutch but difficult to drive.

FWIW, I've got a exedy triple and twin. The triple drives better then the twin and both hold power well.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 09:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
We will be testing the ACT twin in our 950whp sop car soon. Excited to try it out.
The following 2 users liked this post by LetsGetThisDone:
Boostindsm22 (Oct 30, 2022), DontStopMe (Nov 7, 2022)
Old Oct 29, 2022, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I’m not making that much. Just got a deal on the QM a few years back when my exedy twin was starting to drag. I’m only around 400hp but I have a bad left knee so run a dual disk for the easier clutch pedal.
the qm launched and shifted excellent but driving the car normally was pretty miserable.

Originally Posted by Abacus
The clutch in these cars is a fuse. Between AWD and power the clutch is a wear item.

If you needed a QM, I'd presume you're making 700whp+ . Its a good racing clutch but difficult to drive.

FWIW, I've got a exedy triple and twin. The triple drives better then the twin and both hold power well.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Last edited by iD33; Dec 1, 2022 at 09:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by iD33:
DontStopMe (Nov 7, 2022), RSMike (Oct 31, 2022)
Old Oct 31, 2022, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Army

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD96
Bump! About to order this clutch and curious about the release tab breaking issue that many have experienced. Was anyone able to pinpoint the cause of this? In the Exedy twins I've had those break and the clutch still shifts fine. Never knew until I removed it.

I messaged ACT on the live chat and the rep wasnt aware of the problem so I linked him to this thread to see. He got in touch with engineering and is going to forward me their answers. Seems like it's a valid concern even with reputable shops installing them so there goes the "install error" reasoning.
Started to get a hard shift from neutral to 1st, 4th, or reverse. What were the symptoms for anyone with a release tab issue? Not at the two year mark, so I'm hoping it hasn't kicked the bucket.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 04:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by LetsGetThisDone
We will be testing the ACT twin in our 950whp sop car soon. Excited to try it out.
Mine is going to hit the dyno tomorrow with my setup. Lmk how yours goes I am interested to see how it acts.
The following users liked this post:
LetsGetThisDone (Nov 1, 2022)
Old Nov 1, 2022, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
I haven't been driving much, but after a few highway onramps and autocrosses over the last year I'll admit I'm glad I tried the ACT twin. No lockout like my previous ACTs. I had to fiddle with the pedal a bit, but it's in a good spot right now that has survived something like 20 launches without needing further adjustments. Car is a torquey 2.4 so it's putting up with the abuse so far.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
My ACT twin seems to be ok for now and takes the beating. Launched a couple of times.

Current power: 750whp/620tq.
Kill power(not running atm, only dyno since I had fuel issues: 800whp/650tq
DontStopMe (Nov 7, 2022)
Old Nov 6, 2022, 04:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
To add to this thread, my MOD twin took 800 ft lbs of tq at 8k before it started to slip up top. I think I am going to try to keep it between 650 and 700 tq to keep it happy.
Boostindsm22 (Nov 7, 2022)
Old Nov 22, 2022, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
I just want to report that I started having an issue with the clutch yesterday, but i'm not sure yet if it is the clutch. My initial experience is this clutch has a long engagement window, unlike the 6 puck setup where a small change in clutch pedal travel would significantly engage the clutch. Yesterday I did a few 1-3rd gear pulls and immediately I starting having trouble getting the car to go in gear. I realized that even though the clutch pedal was all the way in, the clutch had a slight amount of engagement and inhibited putting the car in gear.

I went home and adjusted the clutch pedal, but I am at the very end of the adjustment and the clutch engages slightly with the slightest release of the pedal. I verified the slave is working although I don't know how far the actual travel should be from rest. As best I can tell the clutch is dragging right off the floor and it doesn't fully engage until about 75% of releasing the pedal. Something definitely changed after those 1-3rd gear pulls, but I don't know what. BTW, I have owned this car since new and have only every launched it twice that I remember, but on this clutch I have never launched the car.

Any thoughts are appreciated and if you know how far the slave should move please let me know so I can compare to mine.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Army

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
I just want to report that I started having an issue with the clutch yesterday, but i'm not sure yet if it is the clutch. My initial experience is this clutch has a long engagement window, unlike the 6 puck setup where a small change in clutch pedal travel would significantly engage the clutch. Yesterday I did a few 1-3rd gear pulls and immediately I starting having trouble getting the car to go in gear. I realized that even though the clutch pedal was all the way in, the clutch had a slight amount of engagement and inhibited putting the car in gear.

I went home and adjusted the clutch pedal, but I am at the very end of the adjustment and the clutch engages slightly with the slightest release of the pedal. I verified the slave is working although I don't know how far the actual travel should be from rest. As best I can tell the clutch is dragging right off the floor and it doesn't fully engage until about 75% of releasing the pedal. Something definitely changed after those 1-3rd gear pulls, but I don't know what. BTW, I have owned this car since new and have only every launched it twice that I remember, but on this clutch I have never launched the car.

Any thoughts are appreciated and if you know how far the slave should move please let me know so I can compare to mine.
This is what I experienced (am experiencing?). I had to bring the engagement almost all the way out to get it comfortable again in R through 4.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_latino999
This is what I experienced (am experiencing?). I had to bring the engagement almost all the way out to get it comfortable again in R through 4.
I'm gonna bleed the slave today to see if it helps, but this happened right after I went back to the S362 (6668) and made a few 1-3 gear jams from a roll. Something about this acceleration made this all of the sudden happen. I will measure my clutch slave travel today so perhaps you can let me know how much you have. It makes starting from a start trickier and definitely a non-linear engagement.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
been driving on mine now for a bit and it does have a long engagement window, it's so soft i almost don't believe it can hold the power, but I haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood)

Quick Reply: Act New Twin Disk Who Running One?