Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Questions on Pill Removal and Evo 8 and 7

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2004, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on Pill Removal and Evo 8 and 7

Hey, I read through all the posts under the free horse power by tightening one clamp that Punisher started. The other topic that got in there was the pill removal. Thinking about doing that. My Evo has always been a little low on boost, 18 psi dropping to 16. Anyways, my question. Was this pill present in the Evo 7? Before the 8, Evos had the myth that they made much more power than the 280 they were rated at from the factory. In an early magazine article, can't remember which one, said the Evo 8 would make 271 hp and no more. My question to any Evo 7 drivers, does your car have this pill. The idea of a piece of metal shoved into a line to limit boost seems like a bandaid fix. Maybe had to do this because of US gas. Question to Dr. Evo who removed the pill with good results, have you put it back in, or is your car still doing ok without it. Also, to anyone else, who might have missed Punisher's post, what are your thoughts on this. I am leaving work early today to work on my car, and was thinking about adding this to the list of things to do.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

It's my understanding that removing the pill does not affect your max boost, it only prevents it from building up too quickly at low RPM's. Once over 4.5k or so, your boost will be the same either way. Without the pill mine spikes to 22psi in cold weather, but only briefly, then it goes back down to normal. There's a thread from last year about this, and someone explains why it doesn't give you a higher max boost without the pill. My observations agree with this.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

the right time to take out the pill is when you get an mbc or ebc so you dont have to worry of too much spiking.taking it out now without no means to control will either be like what you said that the stock will still go down when it hits the factory setting.and a chance of having your engine getting messed up with toomuch spoiking and no fuel or engine tuning with it.