Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust Bolts (JIC exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Bolts (JIC exhaust)

So my exhaust had been rattling some time, so I got under my car to tigthen them (one slip joint halfway back from the cat, and another from that slip joint to the muffler). As I tightened, the bolts stripped and boom. Lost both bolts. These were the ones that came with the exhaust.

Remember a couple of months back some guy was complaining about how his JIC exhaust fell apart? Well duh. Probably cause these bolts suck ***.

So I got some Grade 8 bolts and tightened the sucker down. MUCH BETTER.

What's that black patch you say? Well, after getting new bolts in, it STILL rattled. Why? Cause of that spring holding the slip joint to the muffler. On idle and accel it was fine, but on decel the thing would rattle. I dunno why they need to be there, but they were a pain to get off so I left them on there. Solution? Put some soft velcro backing to keep the springs from rattling.

Moral of the story: always install exhausts with high quality bolts. They're only $2-3 for all the bolts you'll need, so don't cheap out on them.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hm, I have been advised the velcro might melt, so you can use thermal wrapping too to pad the springs.