Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Extremely laggy turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extremely laggy turbo

Ok so I'm a bit stumped here. Freshly rebuild motor only 170 miles. I went from a internally gated to external gated setup. I think the issue lies with the wastegate.

So got my car tuned on a fresh rebuild and new turbo setup. Went from a 71hta to a fp black. Compression and leak down test were good. The car isn't boosting till 5 to 6k rpm. Did a boost leak test and and 3 small leaks on wastegate and one small leak on intake where pcv connects. I fixed all leaks and still 0 boost till 5 to 6k rpm. At idle theres no exhaust gases or anything coming out wastegate dump tube. Wastegate is set at 18.85psi springs, currently tuned on 19/20 psi for break-in reasons.

Current setup is a fp black with the ss housing with a tial mvs 38mm wastegate and fp cast O2 housing and a fp manifold. Running the grimmspeed ebc. My previous setup there was no issues what so ever.

Motor rebuild was just new rings and bearings, fresh hone and valve job with new guides. So I'm stuck on what's going on. I feel its wastegate related but I see nothing wrong with it. I know I didn't have to struggle mounting it so maybe something installed backwards?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 07:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
I'd start with the boost controller. Sounds like it's bleeding too much pressure.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
I'd start with the boost controller. Sounds like it's bleeding too much pressure.

I'll run wastegate straight off boost source and see what happens.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
This is currently how the boost controller is hooked up

It's been 8 months but if I remember right, i had thehaden port in picture hooked to intake. Would that be the cause?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 05:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you check that you didn't forget the seat ring for the wastegate?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 07:08 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Just to summarize: You have a not stroked/non-mivec engine, and you went from a twin scroll 71hta to a single scroll FP black. I'm not trying to be critical or anything, but I wonder if this could be more of an expectations management problem vs. a mechanical one? Was there some example build you were going off of that you are falling short of, or have you talked to FP about what to expect vs. where you're at?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 07:50 AM
kaj

I agree to run the WG straight off the turbo. If you still have problems, I'd look into the WG. Worst case scenario, I'd then check the turbo.
All based on the fact that you found no boost leaks.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 08:00 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
What cams are you running?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by WJVspec
Did you check that you didn't forget the seat ring for the wastegate?
Yes the seat is installed and in correctly

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
What cams are you running?
I'm running kelford 272

Its a built motor nothing changed from previous setup motor wise. Just upgraded fuel and turbo setup.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Jestersplay
Ok so I'm a bit stumped here. Freshly rebuild motor only 170 miles. I went from a internally gated to external gated setup. I think the issue lies with the wastegate.

So got my car tuned on a fresh rebuild and new turbo setup. Went from a 71hta to a fp black. Compression and leak down test were good. The car isn't boosting till 5 to 6k rpm. Did a boost leak test and and 3 small leaks on wastegate and one small leak on intake where pcv connects. I fixed all leaks and still 0 boost till 5 to 6k rpm. At idle theres no exhaust gases or anything coming out wastegate dump tube. Wastegate is set at 18.85psi springs, currently tuned on 19/20 psi for break-in reasons.

Current setup is a fp black with the ss housing with a tial mvs 38mm wastegate and fp cast O2 housing and a fp manifold. Running the grimmspeed ebc. My previous setup there was no issues what so ever.

Motor rebuild was just new rings and bearings, fresh hone and valve job with new guides. So I'm stuck on what's going on. I feel its wastegate related but I see nothing wrong with it. I know I didn't have to struggle mounting it so maybe something installed backwards?
What gear does it not build boost until 5K 6K RPM?
What about in higher gear like 3rd to 5th gear?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
just run it off spring, no boost controller... see what it does.

more than likely boost controller or tune.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by EVOFans
What gear does it not build boost until 5K 6K RPM?
What about in higher gear like 3rd to 5th gear?

Its every gear

Originally Posted by hutch959
just run it off spring, no boost controller... see what it does.

more than likely boost controller or tune.
I put it straight to boost source and it spools about 1500 rpms sooner.

As for other that mentioned twin scroll and single scroll, would that really be that big of a difference? Its not a massive turbo. It is a twin scroll manifold to single scroll turbo, so maybe thay plays some factor?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 06:19 PM
kaj

Twin/single scroll is a huge difference. If you are seeing 0psi until 5k, then you have a leak somewhere or your turbo is toast.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
Twin/single scroll is a huge difference. If you are seeing 0psi until 5k, then you have a leak somewhere or your turbo is toast.
with running wastegate off compressor its seeing boost right around 4k. Turbo definitely isn't toast, or at least better not be it's all brand new. I may have not researched enough, seems it's common to spool around 4k to 4500 rpms with the black. I'm gonna try running the boost controller with the 3rd port hooked up to the intake pipe and see if it has same result with hooking it straight to compressor.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 06:43 PM
kaj

It's normal to see full boost at that RPM, not to be at 0 PSI.

Quick Reply: Extremely laggy turbo