Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo 8 starting and running issues

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2024, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
evo 8 starting and running issues

Been trying to figure out why my car wont run. When it first happened I started the car for work and walked to my other car to get something out of it. Got to my other car and my evo died. Went back to it and it started right up and ran about 2 seconds and died again. Would keep doing this no matter what I did. Went to work in my other car and when i got home i started it again and it sat and idled for 10 min or so. OK. Tried it again the next day. Same thing would start and run for about 30 seconds and die. Same thing start right back up and die again. Been fixing little things hoping it would work but no. Found stm fuel pump rewire melted at the fuse and relay. Replaced the rewire kit thinking the fuel pump wasnt pumping enough due to melted stuff. same thing would just start and die. It has 85psi fuel pressure btw but i wouldnt think that would cause it to just die like it is since its probably been like that since i put the 450 in and drilled the syphon out. Sometimes when it would start and idle for a while i would try to drive it and i would make it about 1/8th mile and it would buck **** and moan and die with it in gear. I could push the clutch in and let it back out and it would start up again. Sometimes it wouldnt restart and i would have to hang out for a couple mins on the side of the road and it would restart then. Sometimes it would just crank and sound like it would fire up but wouldnt. Ive replaced the cam sensor fuel pump rewire kit and added a couple grounds off the battery to the block and chassis. Swapped coils with another set and plugs. As of right now there are no codes but i did have p0300 at one point. Right now it fires right up but dies and will restart if you turn the key again. Did some logging with evoscan and its showing rpm while cranking and the 1 or 2 seconds of running. The ait and coolant temp are at ambient temps or close to it. Map sensor is reading 89kpa or however it reads it with the engine not running. its showing injector pulse for the 1 or 2 its running. when it did actually run for a brief time wideband was showing normal values 14.5-15.5. not sure what the hell is wrong at this point.
mods are fp black kelford 272 full exhaust wastegate dump fic 1650 with resistor bypass spooling up cop kiggly hla stm fuel pump rewire with wally 450 ported intake and tb and intercooler and pipes
currently on my 93 tune because of the winter and havent switched over to e85. has 2 tunes and i made sure its on the 93 tune.
Old Aug 4, 2024, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved? I was having issues where the car would start but then bog down and die in neutral but if I pushed the clutch in, the RPMs would hold steady. The car died on me randomly one day while driving and now it just cranks but won't start.
Old Aug 5, 2024, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah ended up being the omni 4 bar I had. I borrowed my buddies from his evo x and it ran fine when I switched them.
replaced it with a new omni and it's been running fine since.
The following 2 users liked this post by slowonder:
Jahtoot_Evo (Aug 5, 2024), ViciousLSD (Aug 5, 2024)