Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need turbo lag advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2024, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SnailSpeed
I haven’t posted my review yet but on my evo 8 with a stock bottom end, stock intake manifold, stock TB, s2 cams I see full boost in third at approximately 4300 rpm on the AGT 62mm mhi hotside with the dual port internal gate actuator controlled by a 3 port ebcs tuned by me.

Initially I was seeing full boost at around 4800 and felt pretty lazy but once I fine tuned my wastegate duty tables I saw a huge improvement.

By full boost I mean 27psi and it makes 300wtq right at 4k rpm and this is third gear of course starting the pull at 2500rpm, also I must mention I know I have a decent sized boost leak that I haven’t fixed yet.

In the single scroll AGT 64mm bolt on option from what I have seen it tends to have full boost at 5500 on a 2.0. But the twin scroll is usually in the 4800rpm range.

if possible post your wastegate duty cycle tables, also what kind of wastegate actuator are you running and is it preloaded correctly?
I'll have to pull the maps that my tuner loaded. I am running the twins scroll housing but it's the old style. Using a turbosmart wastegate 27psi spring. Last time I reinstalled it there's a ridiculous amount of preload on it. I'm also running S3 cams which I feel contribute to a drop it low end spool. He was surprised by fast the turbo spooled to full once I hit around 5500-6000k.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 06:53 PM

I haven’t posted my review yet but on my evo 8 with a stock bottom end, stock intake manifold, stock TB, s2 cams I see full boost in third at approximately 4300 rpm on the AGT 62mm mhi hotside with the dual port internal gate actuator controlled by a 3 port ebcs tuned by me.

Initially I was seeing full boost at around 4800 and felt pretty lazy but once I fine tuned my wastegate duty tables I saw a huge improvement.

By full boost I mean 27psi and it makes 300wtq right at 4k rpm and this is third gear of course starting the pull at 2500rpm, also I must mention I know I have a decent sized boost leak that I haven’t fixed yet.

In the single scroll AGT 64mm bolt on option from what I have seen it tends to have full boost at 5500 on a 2.0. But the twin scroll is usually in the 4800rpm range.

if possible post your wastegate duty cycle tables, also what kind of wastegate actuator are you running and is it preloaded correctly?

Old Jun 21, 2024, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try logging a pull on the street and see the boost curve. The dyno won’t show the same power band as on the street if the load applied on the dyno isn’t the same as on the street.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDizz
That looks exactly like the open scroll AGT housing spool. How much boost are you running?
Old Jun 22, 2024, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

I'll have to pull the maps that my tuner loaded. I am running the twins scroll housing but it's the old style. Using a turbosmart wastegate 27psi spring. Last time I reinstalled it there's a ridiculous amount of preload on it. I'm also running S3 cams which I feel contribute to a drop it low end spool. He was surprised by fast the turbo spooled to full once I hit around 5500-6000k.
what do you mean the “old style” twin scroll housing? Are you saying you are running the 9.8 hotside?

preload is supposed to be about 3mm or half an eyelet. It may seem very stiff to pull over based on what spring stack you have in your actuator which is normal.

i have had to use and air compressor to push mine forward enough to pull over the wastegate flapper pin lol.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 01:55 PM

That looks exactly like the open scroll AGT housing spool. How much boost are you running?
35psi
Old Jun 22, 2024, 01:56 PM

what do you mean the “old style” twin scroll housing? Are you saying you are running the 9.8 hotside?

preload is supposed to be about 3mm or half an eyelet. It may seem very stiff to pull over based on what spring stack you have in your actuator which is normal.

i have had to use and air compressor to push mine forward enough to pull over the wastegate flapper pin lol.
The 64mm I have is one of there first. From what i understand they updated it alittle since then
Old Jun 23, 2024, 08:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
Thats too much lag for 650whp. My 72mm 2.2 mivec makes 400lb ft at 5000rpm but goes to 9500.
Even a single scroll fp red will be online by 4500 and make 600-650whp.
If thats the Factory MHI housing I would go to an FP Black. Full boost by 4500(non mivec 2.0) and goes well to 8000.

The following users liked this post:
Pal215 (Jun 25, 2024)
Old Jun 23, 2024, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

The 64mm I have is one of there first. From what i understand they updated it alittle since then
I am almost positive you have the open hotside, you have any pictures of it before installed?

Something just doesn’t seem to add up.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 04:24 PM

I am almost positive you have the open hotside, you have any pictures of it before installed?

Something just doesn’t seem to add up.
I unfortunately don't but when I took it off for powdercoating I know 100% it's twin scroll. My tuner said it's a combo of way Oversized cams for the 2.0 non mivec and the turbo.
Old Jun 23, 2024, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Abacus
Thats too much lag for 650whp. My 72mm 2.2 mivec makes 400lb ft at 5000rpm but goes to 9500.
Even a single scroll fp red will be online by 4500 and make 600-650whp.
If thats the Factory MHI housing I would go to an FP Black. Full boost by 4500(non mivec 2.0) and goes well to 8000.
Yea he was showing me graphs of 2.0s making about 600whp with s2 cams and an FP black
Old Jun 24, 2024, 06:48 AM

I know I mentioned this before but you should get log on the street in 3rd and you can see when boost actually kicks and compare it with the dyno graph.

The load and ramp rate on a dyno can be changed by the operator which would give a different looking graph.
Old Jun 24, 2024, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
I know I mentioned this before but you should get log on the street in 3rd and you can see when boost actually kicks and compare it with the dyno graph.

The load and ramp rate on a dyno can be changed by the operator which would give a different looking graph.
I definitely will. Also contacted AGT and they said a big factor are the s3 cams. S2s should give me atleast 500rpm quicker spool for that turbo. It's also the gen 1 64mm. I think they have gen2 now
Old Jun 24, 2024, 11:30 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Tyler confirmed the sale was with the twin scroll housing?
Old Jun 24, 2024, 11:54 AM

I definitely will. Also contacted AGT and they said a big factor are the s3 cams. S2s should give me atleast 500rpm quicker spool for that turbo. It's also the gen 1 64mm. I think they have gen2 now
I can’t see the gsc s3s making that much of a difference. DSport did a direct comparison and there was very little difference when peak torque was hit.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/showc...63-evo/gsc-s2/

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/showc...63-evo/gsc-s3/

Quick Reply: Need turbo lag advice