Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need turbo lag advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2024, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnysideup
I can’t see the gsc s3s making that much of a difference. DSport did a direct comparison and there was very little difference when peak torque was hit.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/showc...63-evo/gsc-s2/

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/showc...63-evo/gsc-s3/
It does say that s3s aren't meant/recommended for anything smaller than 67mm and 800+
Old Jun 24, 2024, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDizz
It does say that s3s aren't meant/recommended for anything smaller than 67mm and 800+
Yeah, definitely this test was really just to see all the cams and compare them. The turbo used on the testing was the same 62mm turbo and the difference was pretty minimal past 4k rpm.

I just don’t think it would spool 500 rpm faster with s2s. On the comparison the s3 only had 250-300rpm less powerband on the midrange compared to OEM camshafts which are much smaller than the S2s.

I think you will only be sure with a pull on the street. Dyno graphs vary so much from tuner to tuner with similar setups on the cars. For example, I seen Performance Destinations dyno graphs and despite having a load bearing dyno they all seem to have pretty bad spool, even the ones with smallish turbos. In the end the dyno is just a tool and the street is where you actually see more realistic data.

Last edited by sunnysideup; Jun 24, 2024 at 05:13 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2024, 03:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
You are on the right track. That is a turbo that will likely need to get smaller for the spool you want. You will also need to find out if you prefer high peak power or less turbo lag. I learned over the years that I dislike turbo lag more than I dislike lower hp. Start with a smaller set of cams and see if the driving experience gets better. GSC S2s are a great choice for the power range you are working with.

Turbo lag is a stubborn variable that can be alleviated with some adjustments to the tune, but not completely fixed (100% WGDC early, adjustments to the fuel map). I would take the following approach and see if it works out for you:

1. Choose what fuel you want to run most of the time.
2. Choose what peak horsepower you need to make.
3. Find the smallest, twin scroll, turbo possible that will make that number horsepower on the main fuel type. If you are running E85 and want a stock frame turbo, MHI JB FP Black can make 650whp by 7000rpm.

Note: This method does not take into consideration the turbo compressor map and how happy that turbo will be achieving that peak horsepower number
Old Jun 25, 2024, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
You are on the right track. That is a turbo that will likely need to get smaller for the spool you want. You will also need to find out if you prefer high peak power or less turbo lag. I learned over the years that I dislike turbo lag more than I dislike lower hp. Start with a smaller set of cams and see if the driving experience gets better. GSC S2s are a great choice for the power range you are working with.

Turbo lag is a stubborn variable that can be alleviated with some adjustments to the tune, but not completely fixed (100% WGDC early, adjustments to the fuel map). I would take the following approach and see if it works out for you:

1. Choose what fuel you want to run most of the time.
2. Choose what peak horsepower you need to make.
3. Find the smallest, twin scroll, turbo possible that will make that number horsepower on the main fuel type. If you are running E85 and want a stock frame turbo, MHI JB FP Black can make 650whp by 7000rpm.

Note: This method does not take into consideration the turbo compressor map and how happy that turbo will be achieving that peak horsepower number
So I run e85 100%. It seems like I'm going to be pushing towards an FP Black unless there's a Xona that will spool faster with the same numbers.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Nah something seems off here. I would start with the tune first as thats the cheapest and easiest thing to change, I would have a different tuner or one of the gurus on this forum look it over and give you a 2nd opinion.
Theres multiple evos on AGT site customer results page that have similar mods and are making 300tq before 5krpm on OPEN scroll 64mm turbos. One with a 64mm open scroll turbo is making 300tq before 5k with S3 cams, Skunk2 IM, 74mm tb, tubular exhaust manifold. Hell, theres even one with their 68mm turbo spooling bettter than yours.
Old Jun 26, 2024, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
Nah something seems off here. I would start with the tune first as thats the cheapest and easiest thing to change, I would have a different tuner or one of the gurus on this forum look it over and give you a 2nd opinion.
Theres multiple evos on AGT site customer results page that have similar mods and are making 300tq before 5krpm on OPEN scroll 64mm turbos. One with a 64mm open scroll turbo is making 300tq before 5k with S3 cams, Skunk2 IM, 74mm tb, tubular exhaust manifold. Hell, theres even one with their 68mm turbo spooling bettter than yours.
Would resonators hold back flow? My exhaust has 3 lol. My tuner said that might be a contributor
Old Jun 26, 2024, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Would resonators hold back flow? My exhaust has 3 lol. My tuner said that might be a contributor
Unless they significantly neck down in diameter inside then no they should not. Tuner blaming resonators for laggy spool is suspect especially since it still makes good power up top. Assuming theres no restriction before or after the turbo then most likely causes would be tune, something funky with the dyno, something funky with the wastegate, or turbo is hurt. The graph starts pretty late so he could have started the pull late giving it the appearance of laggy spool? Have you checked out the wastegate to make sure it has enough spring or isn't leaking pressure?
Old Jun 26, 2024, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
Unless they significantly neck down in diameter inside then no they should not. Tuner blaming resonators for laggy spool is suspect especially since it still makes good power up top. Assuming theres no restriction before or after the turbo then most likely causes would be tune, something funky with the dyno, something funky with the wastegate, or turbo is hurt. The graph starts pretty late so he could have started the pull late giving it the appearance of laggy spool? Have you checked out the wastegate to make sure it has enough spring or isn't leaking pressure?
Wastegate is definitely solid. When I was reinstalling the turbo it took alot of force for me to get that wastegate bolted back on the housing. Turbo issue could be possible. Last owner had the turbo on the car for almost a year with no oil cooler and it's not watercooled either (it is journal bearing). I installed a mishimoto race oil cooler when I got the car.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Hi Mike, I run a custom cam setup which would be equivalent to an S2 & S3 on my 2.4lr
Aim for a 222ish inlet with 11+ lift
This would make your spool earlier, but still have the extended torque of the S3 exh cam
An S3 inlet cam has lower hp at low rpm shifts compared to an S2 inlet cam at low rpm shifts
Aldo

Last edited by GTA.RS; Jun 29, 2024 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
One other thing not mentioned yet is ambient temp or your intake setup.

The hotter the ambient temps 90+ spool will suffer a lot, same with a super short intake that isn’t shielded from the radiator. Still would like to see the wastegate duty tables to see if this could be contributing to the issue.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by SnailSpeed
One other thing not mentioned yet is ambient temp or your intake setup.

The hotter the ambient temps 90+ spool will suffer a lot, same with a super short intake that isn’t shielded from the radiator. Still would like to see the wastegate duty tables to see if this could be contributing to the issue.
Doing pulls on 2 different days one hot and one not it really didn't make much of a difference. Haven't had time to upload the map but hopefully will this weekend. The intake is custom made, not short. Looking into the g30-660 turbo with a vband setup/tubular manifold. If the pool is still not adequate to what I need I'm probably going to switch to S2s at that point.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doing pulls on 2 different days one hot and one not it really didn't make much of a difference. Haven't had time to upload the map but hopefully will this weekend. The intake is custom made, not short. Looking into the g30-660 turbo with a vband setup/tubular manifold. If the pool is still not adequate to what I need I'm probably going to switch to S2s at that point.
Tuned on stock ecu or standalone? Upload the two pulls logs for both days. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by xxthayxx
Tuned on stock ecu or standalone? Upload the two pulls logs for both days. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
Stock ECU, i didnt have my laptop with me to record them. Havent been able to drive the car much right now. A/C season has me all hands on deck at the moment
Old Jun 28, 2024, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
g30-660 will definitely spool faster but will fall short of your power goal. And depending on the current mapping of boost control, if this is part of the issue then you might run into a similar problem with the g30-660, we need to see duty cycle in logs or a picture of the duty cycle in the map.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by SnailSpeed
g30-660 will definitely spool faster but will fall short of your power goal. And depending on the current mapping of boost control, if this is part of the issue then you might run into a similar problem with the g30-660, we need to see duty cycle in logs or a picture of the duty cycle in the map.
Ok im off tomorrow so I should definitely be able to get that

Quick Reply: Need turbo lag advice