Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Triple Slight drag when warm?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2024, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy Triple Slight drag when warm?

Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a built Evo 8 with an exedy Triple in it. I've recently noticed when I put the car into reverse, it wants to creep backwards even with the clutch fully in. Revving slightly does not seem to increase it much, if it all.
Car has 2 step enabled so I haven't been able to rev it past about 5000rpm to test it. It also seems to want to creep slightly in first, but not as bad if it all. Honestly it's hard to tell.
I haven't had any lockout issues, but that's probably attributed to the dog box in the car. I have yet to see if the master needs to be adjusted, but it was adjusted last year to my knowledge. Clutch bite point is pretty high, about half way up the pedal travel if not higher.
Also, this seems to happen once the clutches have warmed up, as it does not do it at all when its cold.

Any insight before I pull out the master cylinder and try to adjust it? Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks I'm advance!
Old Jun 27, 2024, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sluik
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a built Evo 8 with an exedy Triple in it. I've recently noticed when I put the car into reverse, it wants to creep backwards even with the clutch fully in. Revving slightly does not seem to increase it much, if it all.
Car has 2 step enabled so I haven't been able to rev it past about 5000rpm to test it. It also seems to want to creep slightly in first, but not as bad if it all. Honestly it's hard to tell.
I haven't had any lockout issues, but that's probably attributed to the dog box in the car. I have yet to see if the master needs to be adjusted, but it was adjusted last year to my knowledge. Clutch bite point is pretty high, about half way up the pedal travel if not higher.
Also, this seems to happen once the clutches have warmed up, as it does not do it at all when its cold.

Any insight before I pull out the master cylinder and try to adjust it? Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks I'm advance!
Follow up: I got curious and started to adjust the master. The clutch is definitely dragging a little as the car creeps when going into gear. This also explains the slight reverse "grind" as it is a syncro on 5th and reverse.
The master was already adjusted pretty far out, tried a few more turns to only 1 or 2 threads left outside the bracket, no improvement.
Any thoughts or insight?
Old Jun 27, 2024, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try bleeding it.
The following users liked this post:
Sluik (Jun 27, 2024)
Old Jun 27, 2024, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
Try bleeding it.
Just bled it twice, seemed to not help. Regardless of adjustment and making sure there's no air in the line, it just barely drags when warm. When the clutches are still a little cold it's fine.
Old Jun 28, 2024, 07:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
The center hub is probably worn. Need to pull the trans and inspect the hub and discs. Likely needs them replaced if it has miles on it.