Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine "build" options for my "lower-HP" goals

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2024, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine "build" options for my "lower-HP" goals

Hello all,

I need some help with some engine options.

I bought a 2003 Evo with a blown engine. Multiple holes through the block. I am still in the process of taking the engine out. So in the meantime, I am looking to get some help with engine options for this car.

One major point to consider is I am not looking for a setup to make high HP numbers. I really don't care about that. I am mainly looking for a cost effective setup with approximately 300-350WHP and enjoy the car for what it is. I just want a fun reliable car to drive around. It will not be beat on.

I have a FP Green turbo with 1050 CC ID fuel injectors, but I am fine with using an Evo 8 or 9 turbo and going back to as many stock parts as I can. I actually prefer to use as many stock parts as possible. Again, high HP isn't the goal

With that said, I would love to hear as many options possible for my goal. I'm hoping the 4G63T head in my car is fine, but would like additional options assuming it is not useable, as well.

Assuming the head is good:
What options do I have for the most cost-effective bottomend? I keep hearing of the 4G64 from the 2.4L natually aspirated Mitsubishi engines. Any particular models I need to focus on? I am assuming the engine from the NA Lancers will work. I would love to keep the bottomend from a 2003+ Mitsubishi.

Any necessary upgrades I should complete before engine assembly?

Assuming head is bad:
I saw the 2.0L 4G63T JDM Mitsubishi Airtrek engine can work as well. I found a thread that I took notes on that identify which parts need to be changed to make it work in the Evo chassis.

I also saw a thread about a hybrid setup using a head from a Hyundai and I believe a 2.4L bottomend. I thought I took some notes on this setup but I can't seem to find it right now. I will update the thread if I find it. It was by a knowledgeable Evo enthusiast if I remember correctly. It definitely wasn't a common setup and I couldn't find too much info on it.

Anyway, I hope I was able to explain my goals clearly. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 23, 2024, 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 438 Likes on 373 Posts
you need a stock short block? maybe you can check prices and (core) availability from

https://buschursllc.com/

https://englishracing.net/collection...s?q=Shortblock

or@LetsGetThisDone can build you one
Old Jul 23, 2024, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
I think you want a 2.4 from a 1999 to 2003 Galant, so if you're wanting to be 2003 or newer, than a 2003 Galant it is. And personally I would do a 2.4 in your case and run the FP Green with that. I think that would be a very fun car on the street! Also much cheaper and easier than finding another 4G63 Evo 8 block.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you both!

Originally Posted by kpt6
I think you want a 2.4 from a 1999 to 2003 Galant, so if you're wanting to be 2003 or newer, than a 2003 Galant it is. And personally I would do a 2.4 in your case and run the FP Green with that. I think that would be a very fun car on the street! Also much cheaper and easier than finding another 4G63 Evo 8 block.
Can i run the whole stock 2.4L bottomend? Essentially mount my 4G63T head onto it?

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2024, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Thank you both!

Can i run the whole stock 2.4L bottomend? Essentially mount my 4G63T head onto it?

Thanks!
no, you need rods and pistons