Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.0 vs. 2.2 vs. 2.4 engine build

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2024 | 01:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
Not sure if you can access my photo album but I have several pics of the bearing surfaces on page12-14 under My Post Pictures. first spun bearing was #4, 2nd was #1. this current one sounds to be right in between. but note that after the bearing has spun i still have to keep driving slowly to grid, to paddock, to trailer, to garage, then to trailer/shop again. this last one, i think it took me a while before I noticed the (higher pitched) tapping sound because its much quieter at high rpm. I'll check under the VC tonight hoping to see if something is off there lol
The engine builder's "hunch" was "aeration" or more like the oil return of the IE pan might be blowing oil into the air (they never heard of the IE pan before). he's just guessing of course. none of my 2 builders/tuners (also evoms folks) ever doubted the oil. lots of chip bearing material was found in the oil compartments, pick up and filter. so far in this current one, theres no bearing chip material in the oil/filter but a lot of glitters.
"frothing" cant say we've seen any sign of this or that the oil looks/feels different when drained. since doing the VTA catch cans with working PCV my oil and fumes dont smell like e85 fuel. it did before
Ah man that sucks I'm hate reading about that. Frothing is where the oil turns to foam in the oil pan after its sloshed around and in and out of the engine. This usually turns into bearing failures and stuff like that being it's not oil on the bearing surfaces it's the foam which really doesn't have the same effect on the bearing surfaces as the oil does.
As spirited of a driver as I am and having an extremely high HP Evo, I learned about Schaeffer's oil a long time ago and I thought the guy who told me about it was nuts being a farmer. When u blew my first turbo up I asked my local turbo guy why and he told me bearing failures occur over high temps and after sitting on the bearings to long. He as well pointed me in the direction of Schaeffer's.

Another funny story is I was at the track way back when I had my 2.4 nad black setup and I went down the track and didn't realize I forgot to tq my oil filter down and it came loose just after I launched and needless to say my day was done and I oiled down the track and every last drop of oil i the car.

When I got back toy put area oil all over the place under the car and being I didn't notice it had come loose I figured the engine was done. Get back to my house undo the drain plug nothing in the pan was completely dry. Took the pan off and cut my oil filter off thinking there would be material all over the place. Needless to say barely anything if any ar al.
Moral of the story is this oil saved this engine with the good amount of phosphorus and zinc and the right amount of molly they is in it. I drove on that engine 5 more years till I killed it washing out the cylinders with e85 and kept trying to crank it over and over and over. Not the oils fault flooding the engine and cylinders full of e85 regardless of what oil you use is never a good idea and it cause me to move to my 2.2.
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Oct 14, 2024)
Old Yesterday | 08:37 AM
EvoM Guru

I think oil by itself wont "froth". not without moisture. a long time ago i have seen some signs of steam and oil mixing on the VC/cap after driving in the rain
Old Yesterday | 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Curse what Oil filter to do you use?
Old Yesterday | 10:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I think oil by itself wont "froth". not without moisture. a long time ago i have seen some signs of steam and oil mixing on the VC/cap after driving in the rain
I have seen it done after a track day after a pass it was foamy which I thought was odd, but none the less it was there.

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
Curse what Oil filter to do you use?
Just plain ole wix filters when I can find them out here.if I can't car quest filters being they are made by wix. That is just my preference being they trap a lot of stuff but not enough to block off the filter completely like some others I have tried. Plus I use 10w40 oil or 15w40 pending on what I can find. Slow motion told me to use 10w40 but Schaeffer's only has 15w40 so there's that as well nif I go to hold oil for my turbo and gain 2 more years I will go back to 10w40.