Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car shutting off

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2024, 06:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
Yea the map sensor is faulty. Reading the replies and seeing what the Evo is doing its the symptoms of a bad map sensor. You will need to get an OEM Evo X Map sensor to fix this issue. My experience tells me it was an Omni 4 Bar map sensor that failed on your Evo.

Do a quick test while trying to start the engine. Unplug the MAF sensor and see what happens. Then unplug the MAP sensor and see what happens. Then unplug both sensors and see what happens.
yes I do have an omnia map sensor. I will look into this
it also failed once on my 99 GST eclipse. Swapped to an aem 3.5 and never had issues again.

It seems a bit difficult to do your test to diagonose. Because the car starts and drives like normally all the time. It just randomly dies after 20 mins or so. If I went to start it now it would fire right up and drive like normal.

My first symptoms that something wasn't right was I noticed the slightest of misfires. Very very small hiccup. But I know this car so well and it's tuned well, that I knew something wasn't right with it. Drove straight home and within maybe 5 minutes or so was the first time it died. Def could be the map sensor as I never had luck with those Omni ones and am actually surprised it lasted this long.

Last edited by Superchargedk20; Aug 8, 2024 at 06:42 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2024, 07:10 AM

Yea the map sensor is faulty. Reading the replies and seeing what the Evo is doing its the symptoms of a bad map sensor. You will need to get an OEM Evo X Map sensor to fix this issue. My experience tells me it was an Omni 4 Bar map sensor that failed on your Evo.

Do a quick test while trying to start the engine. Unplug the MAF sensor and see what happens. Then unplug the MAP sensor and see what happens. Then unplug both sensors and see what happens.
let's say it's the map sensor. If i went with thr evo X oem or let's say the aem 3.5. Would my tune be affected with going to a lower reading sensor ? Would that mess up the fuel scaling ?
Old Aug 8, 2024, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I had an onmi 4 bar die on me as well but I didn't have issues like this. That is a good thing to check and should be pretty easy with evoscan to monitor the output from the sensor.
Old Aug 8, 2024, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Superchargedk20
let's say it's the map sensor. If i went with thr evo X oem or let's say the aem 3.5. Would my tune be affected with going to a lower reading sensor ? Would that mess up the fuel scaling ?
The Omni sensors are notorious for failing (I'm on my 3rd or 4th now). Luckily Omni is really good about replacing them. The only true fix is to switch to an evo x map or aem, rife, or similar map with good reliability. This will require your tune to be recalibrated for the specific sensor you go with since they all use different scaling.
Old Aug 8, 2024, 07:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 441 Likes on 376 Posts
Originally Posted by schuhie
I had an onmi 4 bar die on me as well but I didn't have issues like this. That is a good thing to check and should be pretty easy with evoscan to monitor the output from the sensor.
Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
The Omni sensors are notorious for failing (I'm on my 3rd or 4th now). Luckily Omni is really good about replacing them. The only true fix is to switch to an evo x map or aem, rife, or similar map with good reliability. This will require your tune to be recalibrated for the specific sensor you go with since they all use different scaling.
how long do they last? I have to make sure I carry a backup then
Old Aug 8, 2024, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
Sometimes a couple months. Sometimes a couple years. Its truly a gamble. I've learned the hard way to always keep a spare now. Literally just a month or so ago I had to swap in my back up sensor after the one I had been running for over 2 years just crapped out. Now I need to get another back up or finally bite the bullet and just go to a better sensor. ugh.
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Aug 8, 2024)
Old Aug 8, 2024, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Mine lasted 5+ years before it died. Mine was causing all sorts of weirdness at idle but nothing while driving.

I too have added a spare to the kit I keep in the car along with an IAC, TPS, vacuum line, zip ties and the tools to replace those sensors lol.
ViciousLSD (Aug 8, 2024)
Old Aug 8, 2024, 11:59 AM

I went on YouTube and one evo owner had the omni last for 2 days
ViciousLSD (Aug 8, 2024)
Old Aug 8, 2024, 12:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
Sometimes a couple months. Sometimes a couple years. Its truly a gamble. I've learned the hard way to always keep a spare now. Literally just a month or so ago I had to swap in my back up sensor after the one I had been running for over 2 years just crapped out. Now I need to get another back up or finally bite the bullet and just go to a better sensor. ugh.
Mine lasted 5+ years before it died. Mine was causing all sorts of weirdness at idle but nothing while driving.

I too have added a spare to the kit I keep in the car along with an IAC, TPS, vacuum line, zip ties and the tools to replace those sensors lol.
Originally Posted by Superchargedk20
I went on YouTube and one evo owner had the omni last for 2 days
JFC this car man.
Old Aug 8, 2024, 12:25 PM

I asked my shop he said no on the map sensor. From the video and my symptoms his opinion is a failed fuel pump, bad relay or bad crank sensor. My cars been sitting all night and this is how it starts lol. This is wild.

Old Aug 8, 2024, 12:33 PM

Double post
Old Aug 10, 2024, 10:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Does it break like this or this is something else?? A few weeks ago I actually paid premium $ for a "pre-dyno check" so the tuner was poking around. they were tasked to tune an idling issue and even told me they tried their own MAP sensor, so theyre the last ones to touch this. they also stripped a hole for the ignition coil cover bolt
anyway today I just wanted to test run my backup map sensor to see if works out of the box. then I noticed current map sensor split up like this. can this happen while driving? I had some ignition related issue last weekend. maybe i'll glue it and see if this can be the backup, else i'll buy another one

Old Aug 12, 2024, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Does it break like this or this is something else?? A few weeks ago I actually paid premium $ for a "pre-dyno check" so the tuner was poking around. they were tasked to tune an idling issue and even told me they tried their own MAP sensor, so theyre the last ones to touch this. they also stripped a hole for the ignition coil cover bolt
anyway today I just wanted to test run my backup map sensor to see if works out of the box. then I noticed current map sensor split up like this. can this happen while driving? I had some ignition related issue last weekend. maybe i'll glue it and see if this can be the backup, else i'll buy another one
Yikes! Mine didn't fail like that. I would say that sensor is cooked and just get a new one.

Frustrating about them stripping the coil bolt too. I have helicoiled all of mine at this point I think lol.
ViciousLSD (Aug 12, 2024)
Old Aug 12, 2024, 09:09 AM

Cars been towed. Mechanic drove it and it died. He went to get some tools to start diagnosis. Comes back and car starts. It hasn't died since..... His initial thoughts are a bad crank sensor. Will keep everyone updated.
Old Aug 12, 2024, 09:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Yikes! Mine didn't fail like that. I would say that sensor is cooked and just get a new one.

Frustrating about them stripping the coil bolt too. I have helicoiled all of mine at this point I think lol.
I have one, the one I was about to test anyway i put a strap on the broken one and it still works, so this will be the backup. but I'll use the strap just in case
I normally remove the coil pack cover because they get swapped out 'accidentally' but forgot this time. anyway, i have a new VC, still needs PCV ports work

schuhie (Aug 12, 2024)

Quick Reply: Car shutting off