Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car shutting off

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2024, 09:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 441 Likes on 376 Posts
Originally Posted by Superchargedk20
Cars been towed. Mechanic drove it and it died. He went to get some tools to start diagnosis. Comes back and car starts. It hasn't died since..... His initial thoughts are a bad crank sensor. Will keep everyone updated.
I had a new crank sensor that wouldnt work until I lifted it a little bit using smashed washers under it. no idea whats up with that
The following users liked this post:
Superchargedk20 (Aug 12, 2024)
Old Aug 14, 2024, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I had a new crank sensor that wouldnt work until I lifted it a little bit using smashed washers under it. no idea whats up with that
Oh you didnt notice that the trigger plate was bent. I suggest checking the condition of parts and doing the repairs properly before you panic and just start improvising.
Old Aug 14, 2024, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Cars been towed. Mechanic drove it and it died. He went to get some tools to start diagnosis. Comes back and car starts. It hasn't died since..... His initial thoughts are a bad crank sensor. Will keep everyone updated.
A new crank sensor means you have to remove the timing belt and redo the timing. The logic of replacing the crank sensor over replacing a map sensor doesnt check out to me. The labor of a new crank sensor being replaced is $1k easy in the Bay Area now. I wish I had that money to burn.
Old Aug 14, 2024, 12:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by deylag
Oh you didnt notice that the trigger plate was bent. I suggest checking the condition of parts and doing the repairs properly before you panic and just start improvising.
of course I checked. I suspected I had some crank walk which gave me the idea. I'm still using the same trigger plate 3 builds later
Old Aug 14, 2024, 01:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
A new crank sensor means you have to remove the timing belt and redo the timing. The logic of replacing the crank sensor over replacing a map sensor doesnt check out to me. The labor of a new crank sensor being replaced is $1k easy in the Bay Area now. I wish I had that money to burn.
Nothings been changed yet. Not gona just throw parts at it , until there's a better idea of what's actually going on with the car.
Old Aug 16, 2024, 09:44 PM

Just an update. According to my mechanic, I had a loose negative battery terminal which caused a bad ground which caused all sorts of electrical issues. It was in fact loose and you turn it freely with your hand with ease. He checked fuel, which turned out good and MAP sensor was reading properly. He said he drove the car for over 3 hours and it finally shut off on him. He changed the crank sensor but the problem still persists. He called me on the phone and asked if I noticed a small bucking /misfire while driving the car. I told him yes, that's what initially I felt when all this happened. He believed it could be a bad TPS sensor..As I told em this the car died on em. But this time he actually got a CEL and ironically it was for the TPS sensor.
that was yesterday. Haven't heard from him today.
Old Aug 21, 2024, 06:18 AM

Sensor was changed but problem still persists. Really stumped here. Hard to figure out what's wrong. The car doesn't stay dead long enough to properly diag what could be wrong with it.
Old Aug 21, 2024, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
checked for damaged wiring from rats and or bad grounds make sure the ground by the back of the engine to the intake manifold to firewall is connected this if this is missing it can cause all sorts of issues.
Old Aug 21, 2024, 01:10 PM

Found the issue guys. It was the MAP sensor. My mechanic took a heat gun to it, touched it and the car would shut off. Another OMNI failed sensor
deylag (Aug 21, 2024)
Old Aug 21, 2024, 01:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Found the issue guys. It was the MAP sensor. My mechanic took a heat gun to it, touched it and the car would shut off. Another OMNI failed sensor
dang! what a POS
Old Aug 21, 2024, 01:50 PM

dang! what a POS
yep. Now I'm gona have to pay for a tpms job and cam sensor job on top of this. He told me the sensor always showed data so he didn't think it was the issue. The sensor also has to get hot... Oh well. At the end of the day I'm just glad my car is ok
ViciousLSD (Aug 21, 2024)
Old Aug 21, 2024, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

you have to carry backups, and some tools AAA top tier membership is a must
Old Aug 21, 2024, 02:34 PM

you have to carry backups, and some tools AAA top tier membership is a must
I heard if u email omni and tell em your sensor **** the bed they just replace em. No questions asked
Old Aug 28, 2024, 11:50 AM

Just a final update. I got my car back and it hasn't shut off. The MAP sensor, cam sensor and tps sensor were all changed.
Old Aug 28, 2024, 12:17 PM
EvoM Guru

strap it! lol

Quick Reply: Car shutting off