Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Possible blown engine need suggestions for short block

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2024, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible blown engine need suggestions for short block

The other day my oil cooler line broke and the car stalled. Before i realized the issue I tried restarting it a few times. Once i realized i had the car towed to my shop and I'm waiting on new oil lines to see what the damage is. I am thinking worst case scenario here and I'm assuming that i will need to rebuild/buy a new short block.

The shop i deal with does not have a machine shop to rebuild my existing motor but they would be willing to install a new shortblock. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to get a semi built short block from? Right now the car has the following mods and i dont plan to do a whole lot more to it besides fix up the body.
Kelford 272 Cams
3in Downpipe
Turbo dump to atmospher
Cobbs Exhaust with test pipe
Cusco intake
Head Studs
ETS LICP
Walbro 255
Hallman MBC

I forget what PSI im running but i want to say 25-26ish on the stock turbo. The last time it was on a dyno (which was about 10 years ago) it put down 380/380 to the wheels.

This is a street car and i basically never track it, just spirited driving and enjoying the car, i dont need high RPM id rather the lower end torque. I always wanted to do a 2.4 stroker but from what I'm reading they have reliability issues so Im trying to decide between a 2.0 or a 2.2. If i have to get a new short block i figure why not get the 2.2. I was looking at english racing, their short blocks seemed decently priced for the street version. Im also located in NJ/NYC area.
Old Aug 28, 2024, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
Depending on the damage, you might be able to get away with a pretty simple bearing change if they are damaged but the crank and rods are alright. Has the oil been drained and checked for metal?

If you have to go the shortblock route, sending off your 2.0 or using it as a core is going to be cheaper than the 2.2 assuming the crank survived. The 2.2 would provide a little more low end torque but that stock turbo will be choking out up top.

As for suggestions on shop, I don't have any experience with them so I'm not going to chime in on that aspect.
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Aug 28, 2024)
Old Aug 29, 2024, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
what was the failure mode of the oil cooler line breaking?
Old Aug 29, 2024, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Have you pulled the filter off and cut it to see if it has bearing material in it? While we would love to build an engine for you we want to make sure that you need it first
The following 3 users liked this post by JohnBradley:
codgi (Aug 30, 2024), deylag (Sep 1, 2024), schuhie (Aug 29, 2024)
Old Aug 30, 2024, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
what was the failure mode of the oil cooler line breaking?
The oil cooler line separated/broke off of the fitting.. crazy and something i could have never knowing about.
The following users liked this post:
justboosted02 (Aug 31, 2024)
Old Aug 30, 2024, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Have you pulled the filter off and cut it to see if it has bearing material in it? While we would love to build an engine for you we want to make sure that you need it first
I have not yet. Its at the mechanics now. Im waiting to hear back from them, should be sometime next week. I ideally dont want to have to do a rebuilt..but if i have to i might as well make it bulletproof.
Old Aug 30, 2024, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by schuhie
Depending on the damage, you might be able to get away with a pretty simple bearing change if they are damaged but the crank and rods are alright. Has the oil been drained and checked for metal?

If you have to go the shortblock route, sending off your 2.0 or using it as a core is going to be cheaper than the 2.2 assuming the crank survived. The 2.2 would provide a little more low end torque but that stock turbo will be choking out up top.

As for suggestions on shop, I don't have any experience with them so I'm not going to chime in on that aspect.
I hear ya. Im waiting on the shop to tell me. The oil hasnt been drained yet. I should hear back next week.
Old Sep 1, 2024, 07:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 200 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by schuhie

I will add destroked 2.4 > 2.0 stroked in my opinion just for the fact you can run 162mm rod with a 94 mm crank and rev that thing to Pluto . The 2.0 will have its limits being stroked out and if I remember correctly has about the same rod ratio as a 2.3.
Old Sep 1, 2024, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Yea no need to trash a good block. Check for metal shavings in the oil filter. Evo engines are tough. Delete the oil cooler and just use plugs in the ports. Do a couple oil changes and check the oil filter before you make any more assumptions.