Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4G63 twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2004, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4G63 twin turbo

my friend called and told me about a 4G63 twin turbo set up. he said there was a kit on ebay a few weeks ago. he said he talked to someone about it and that this was a rare kit and i guess it was made . i was just wondering if any one else has seen or heard of any such thing. that would be kinda cool to have a twin turbo evo.

Last edited by nutnbutturbo4; Apr 19, 2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Y
Old Apr 19, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

id rather have a single turbo. hence some supras being converted to single. so i wouldnt even think about it anyway
Old Apr 19, 2004, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

i second that! why would you want a twin turbo over a single turbo? that's why both of my cars are single *hint*hint
Old Apr 19, 2004, 04:57 PM

i have no clue. he has a first gen gst and he is looking for a better turbo set up. i guess its kinda like the triple turbo set up for a supra.... why. i guess fust to say you have it.... http://suprastore.com/robjo19tr60s.html
Old Apr 19, 2004, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Twins kinda suck, I was going to convert my Supra to a single but then the EVO came .

The complexity of a sequential turbo setup like the Supra can lead to some problems.

A big single really does make more sense, esp for our cars.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 05:22 PM

i know big single turbos are better and less complicated. i was just wondering if any one else has seen or heard of it. just out of curriousity i would like to see it. plus i think it would get more points and more attention out at shows.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I sold my twin turbo setup for a DSM. I never got around to installing it, and then traded in the car it was going to go on (non turbo 2.4 liter Eclipse spyder) when I got my EVO.

In reality it works no better and no worse than a large single, it is something for the person who wants to be unique.

Keith
Old Apr 19, 2004, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

why in the world would anybody twin turbo an inline 4?
Old Apr 20, 2004, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Don’t forget that Subaru have been doing this for ages. The RX7 was a twin turbo and the Skyline as well as the Supra. There all little advantages to a twin set up apart from the delivery of the air. I read somewhere that the air is much smoother from twin turbos than a single big one. Sequential turbos are different altogether. In this set up you run two turbos in series not parallel (like on the Skyline). This is what Subaru have been doing. I think most setups have a small turbo that is designed to boost at low rpm. The exhaust then runs into a larger turbo that will boost at higher rpm. The problem with this is at any point in the rev range, you have a turbo that is not running at its optimum rate and is therefore very restrictive. I have read articles on the Legacy that have said the turbo takes ages to come on boost! I could see the advantage of a twin set up on lager engines that would require one HUGE turbo (which would be VERY lagy) to deliver the same boost but little on a small cc four pot!

Thanks Chris.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 06:31 AM

is there any place where that sells the kit. or even the manifold. i would really just wanna see it. also the way the piping is ran. really outta curiousity. possible to purchase. im going to sema this year and that would be something to reveal.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

THe only way that I see a twin turbo setup is really neccesary and sound is in a v6 or v8 engine. Such example is the 350Z or the corvette v8. Due to the high exhaust output and the orientation of the engine's manifold, it think that a single-large turbo is too restrictive and very hard to apply. The supra MKIV and the skyline GTR both have an inline 6, so a single large is better due to ease of tuning and setup. In an inline 6 engine, you have six manifolds power the turbo, so is much better that way to apply a single-large turbo. It would be exciting for Nissan to turbocharged the 350Z. Twin turbo on that powerplant is going to kick so major ***.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by masterevo
THe only way that I see a twin turbo setup is really neccesary and sound is in a v6 or v8 engine. Such example is the 350Z or the corvette v8. Due to the high exhaust output and the orientation of the engine's manifold, it think that a single-large turbo is too restrictive and very hard to apply. The supra MKIV and the skyline GTR both have an inline 6, so a single large is better due to ease of tuning and setup. In an inline 6 engine, you have six manifolds power the turbo, so is much better that way to apply a single-large turbo. It would be exciting for Nissan to turbocharged the 350Z. Twin turbo on that powerplant is going to kick so major ***.
Doesnt greddy already have a Twin Turbo kit for the 350Z? And I think its still slower than the stock evo! could be wrong though
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Yup it is still slower. Guy in my town has one. Nice looking ride though.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SurfguruJon311

Doesnt greddy already have a Twin Turbo kit for the 350Z? And I think its still slower than the stock evo! could be wrong though
It 12.4 on 1/4 mile i believe

Quick Reply: 4G63 twin turbo