Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam Gear Installation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam Gear Installation

Hey guys, I am planning on installing my Vishny Cam Gears. However, I need a little help from anyone who has done this install. I have the downloaded version of the Evo manual but I am not sure if I really need the specialty tools that it points out in the instructions.

The reason I am a little confused is that it shows how to remove the timing belt, and this requires a few specialty tools. I could not find anything, which just covers the removal of the Cam Sprockets. Do I have to remove the entire belt or just loosen it up and pop off the Gears?

Thanks,
Gnulooks
Old Apr 19, 2004, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.spxmiller.com/
call them up ask for this .The part number for this tool is MLR-MD-998738 (Auto Installation Tensioner). Its like 9 bucks. It will release the tension in the belt so you can remove the cam gears. You can also check out evomoto.com and just follow the first couple steps showing on how to remove the cam gear cover to help ya out some.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Cam Gear Installation

Originally posted by gnulooks
Hey guys, I am planning on installing my Vishny Cam Gears. However, I need a little help from anyone who has done this install. I have the downloaded version of the Evo manual but I am not sure if I really need the specialty tools that it points out in the instructions.

The reason I am a little confused is that it shows how to remove the timing belt, and this requires a few specialty tools. I could not find anything, which just covers the removal of the Cam Sprockets. Do I have to remove the entire belt or just loosen it up and pop off the Gears?

Thanks,
Gnulooks
Zip ties are your friends

Ok

Step one make sure you have all the tools for the job including a full socket set, Timing belt Tool, Nice Floor jack and ramps.

2 put the jack under the car jack it up to support the weight of the motor.

3 Take off motor mount (Passeger side)

4 Remove the gear cover (4 10 mm bolts I found that a 10 open ended wrench works best)

5 turn the steering wheel all the way over to the right. You will see a round garment. Pull the garment off and stick in a 1/2 extention in it and turn clockwise tuntil the markings on the gears line up with the markings of the cam cover.

6 Zip the the right cam gear.

7 use the timing belt tool the completely losen up the tention of the blet. (Be carefull the tool is a little brittle and you don't want to snap it

8 Hold the right gear while taking the left gear nut off. Remove the nut completely. Now remove the gear. Remeber your timing will not go anyware because you have the right one zip tied.

9 Install the gear But keep the blet off. The marking on the vishnu gears will be off because the cam got moved. Hold the Left gear with your hand and tighten up the bolt. Now take a rachet and mover the gear counter clockwise until the gear lines up with the cam cover.

10 Hold that position and slip the belt on and release the rachet. Hold the right gear and tq the nut on the left gear to 65ft.

repeat the steeps on the right one and your done.

If you don't feel that you can do this job you would consider taking it to a shop that knows what they are doing.

My Best and GOOD LUCK
Eric