Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intercooler sprayer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2004, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post intercooler sprayer

Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong place in the forum figured for engin / turbo / drive train the innercooler should fit in their some where. im just tryn to get a straight answer im pritty sure with every thing iv read that the intercooler when its on sprays depeinding on useage and severity of heat. i got that but what i havent been able to find out and 3 of the dealers with in a 50 mile radious of where i live have told me yes it turns it self on no it doesnt and i duno. So my question is.

Can the intercooler turn it self on or does it need to be turned on when you turn the car on.

If it turns it self on GREAT. hopefully itll turn it self on one of these days cuz i havent seen it do it yet.

If it does not turn it self on is their a way that you can have it auto turn on every time u turn your car on?

Thanks for the Help guys.

Last edited by chinto; Apr 26, 2004 at 02:05 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

I am a little confused by your question. Just to clarify, the intercooler itself doesn't get turned on or off. It is always part of the turbocharger system.

However, the intercooler sprayer does get turned on and off. I have noticed it needs to be turned on to Automatic mode every time the car is started. There is no way around this that I know of. You will see a little symbol on the instrument cluster in the shape of a spray pattern turn on when you have turned on the auto sprayer mode. If you flip the sprayer switch to automatic mode one more time, it will turn off the auto sprayer mode. One other note, you can hit the switch to manual mode and that won't cancel out the automatic mode.

Hope this answers your question.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

yup .. whitet777 is right..

i just noticed this myself a little while ago..

i never really thought about it, as i would always spray manually when i needed it the most..

how well does the auto mode work anyway?
Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

we placed a small camera on the bumper to see when it would spray even under full acceleration it didnt spray we floored it several times never sprayed so i have no clue if this thing even works in auto mode....
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

nice work! what temperatures were u testing it in?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

ya thats what i meant the sprayer for the intercooler not the intercooler by it self had a long long day yesterday . thanks for your help what i was kinda figureing but none of the dealers around here could help me out ya guys rull

Originally posted by whitet777
I am a little confused by your question. Just to clarify, the intercooler itself doesn't get turned on or off. It is always part of the turbocharger system.

However, the intercooler sprayer does get turned on and off. I have noticed it needs to be turned on to Automatic mode every time the car is started. There is no way around this that I know of. You will see a little symbol on the instrument cluster in the shape of a spray pattern turn on when you have turned on the auto sprayer mode. If you flip the sprayer switch to automatic mode one more time, it will turn off the auto sprayer mode. One other note, you can hit the switch to manual mode and that won't cancel out the automatic mode.

Hope this answers your question.

Last edited by chinto; Apr 26, 2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

The manual (shop that is) says speed, inlet temp and load.

From comments made by multiple people I think that it is safe to say that the water spray is not employed by the stock ECU as often as many people would like. My experience in testing this spring is that manual use restores charge temp where automatic doesn't.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

It most certainly does work in auto mode. On track, with it turned to auto on a 75 degree day, I had to refill the water bottle 2x each day.

chinto....it is called an intercooler...not an inner cooler
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i dont use the intercooler very much but i do notice it gets used here and there by the level of the liquid going down
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

my speln sucks live with it if u know what i mean when i type somthing its close enough for me im not an eglish major never said i was. my dads an eglish teachers im dislexic and add and what ever esle i got spell check but guess what i dont care so its all good if you want to read thru all my posts and correct my spelling ill happly go thru n fix it chears
Originally posted by Secret Chimp
It most certainly does work in auto mode. On track, with it turned to auto on a 75 degree day, I had to refill the water bottle 2x each day.

chinto....it is called an intercooler...not an inner cooler
Old Apr 26, 2004, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

edit
Old Apr 26, 2004, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

I was just trying to help. I wasn't flaming you. Most of the horrible spelling, non caring individuals who come to this site can usually spell out their car parts fairly well. In fact, being able to spell intercooler correctly would have helped you greatly if you had used the search button before posting this thread.

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Apr 26, 2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 04:34 PM

The intercooler sprayer, in auto mode, runs on a time delay. I think it sprays every five seconds for three seconds. It is in the owners manual. Strictly based on time.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by okijack
The intercooler sprayer, in auto mode, runs on a time delay. I think it sprays every five seconds for three seconds. It is in the owners manual. Strictly based on time.
Turn it on automatic and stand out by your front grill. You will see that it won't spray at all. The spray doesn't come on until a few criteria are met... But when they come on, you are right in that they cycle on and off in a time regulated fashion.

SC~
Old Apr 26, 2004, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
I was just trying to help. I wasn't flaming you. Most of the horrible spelling, non caring individuals who come to this site can usually spell out their car parts fairly well. In fact, being able to spell intercooler correctly would have helped you greatly if you had used the search button before posting this thread.

SC~
sorry man just been a bad weekend and i keep snapn at people was pulled over 4 times in 2 days for drivein an evo basicaly. and tryn to help people i keep gettn yelled at by other people, if you could fix it in the subject it great thanks i think i fixed the other spelling thx