Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Megan Racing downpipe, test pipe, cat back installed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2004, 09:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just don't deal with them directly...get the exhaust through lancershop or somethin.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased the full Megan turbo back exhaust a few months back... this thread had a hand in that. I like it enough that I'm now sponsoring a group buy on it in the Vendor group buy section. I'm not doing any other system right now do to me believing it is the "best bang for the buck" by far.

PS They come with O2 bungs now...

Last edited by Zeus; Feb 25, 2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

so im just wondering now... i have an hks 30th exhaust, and i want to get the megan dp wit a cat delete which ill figure out later, but as far as the dp goes, what will i need in order for it not to throw off a CEL and run without rattling, etc.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

has anyone resolved the dp rattling problem?? just got the megan downpipe only, connected a delete pipe and the hks carbon ti exhaust, im experiencing rattling and it kinda sucks...any ideas??
Old May 31, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
rattling on where? is it hitting lower strut bar?
Old May 31, 2005, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

no not the lower strup bars, its hitting the more or less the oil pan, its hitting whatever is above it, the metal there, but not the lower arm bars...this only happens when i get on it though, more or less at WOT.
Old May 31, 2005, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
try to loose both sides and first tight upper bolts and then by the hf cat.
Old May 31, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

yeah thats basically what i did actually...although i have a cat delete, im not sure if that is the reason or what...i took it in to the dealer the other day and the guy looked at it and said it was because of the cat delete...he said i need to get it reshaped...maybe tomorrow though ill try again, loosen up both bolts and re tighten, im not sure the gasket piece that they give you that replaces the stock one out of the turbo outlet is exactly flush either, its too hard to tell though...those dam nuts above the outlet there are a pain in the --- as well to tighten, not sure exactly how to get to them well...i tried taking the lower heat shield off and ended up with a huge gash in my hand becuase the lower screw is waaay to tight. the rattling is annoying though, although most probably wouldnt notice...i do though.
Old May 31, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

also about the downpipe after installation, at first the car seemed to rock so much harder, especially in like 3rd and the higher gears...now i go out and it seems almost that its lost some definite initial torque, in 1st and 2nd, almost like its sucking all the air out of the turbo...its spiking way high and dropping dramatically now, i know i definitely need a tune now, but this kinda sucks for now. this is pretty typical to all though im assuming without the proper tuning.
Old May 31, 2005, 07:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by xiaoni420
no not the lower strup bars, its hitting the more or less the oil pan, its hitting whatever is above it, the metal there, but not the lower arm bars...this only happens when i get on it though, more or less at WOT.
I've got the "First Gen" downpipe/delete pipe, and the "Second Gen" catback with no rubbing/rattling issues at all. However, I did not try and use the OE spring bolts, I used two 1 1/2" stainless steel bolts with lock and flat washers from my local Ace Hardware Store. So in essence, the downpipe to O2 flange is bolted down solid with no play allowed by OE spring bolts. This may, or may not make a difference. It does not touch the oil pan or lower tie bars though.
Old May 31, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

yeah likewise, i used the 1 1/2 bolts they supplied me, not the spring bolts. did your pipe come with that almost metal wirey lookin gasket/dougnut piece that you put between the dp and the outlet?? i looked kinda weird but i was assuming after tightening the bolts that it would end up pretty flush. when the car is at rest or normal idle too, there is not rattling and its not hitting anything, its only when i hit does it rattle. i gotta figure this out.
Old May 31, 2005, 07:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

When did you get your downpipe? I got a standard cheap Greddy-ish type flat gasket with mine.
Old May 31, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

i got it a couple of weeks ago from logic, so im assuming its the newest one. yeah it was more of a flat gasket than a curved one like the stock one.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 02:11 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if this would help but it looked like it would when I installed my downpipe: I didn't get the Megan dp, I got the Helix instead(no reason, just had the Helix on order before I heard the Megan, once I heard the Megan Catback I had to have it) and what I did was decide to wrap my dp with Thermo flex wrap to try and keep the heat away from my oil pan. It doesn't touch my oil pan but it is pretty close, if worse came to worse seems like if you wrapped your dp it would prevent the metal to metal rattling some of you are struggling with. Just a thought.............
Old Jun 1, 2005, 03:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
isn't it bad to not use the spring bolts?

Quick Reply: Megan Racing downpipe, test pipe, cat back installed