Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2nd Blown Motor Blown Clutch 3000 miles sucks

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2004, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Blown Motor Blown Clutch 3000 miles sucks

well here's the story.....blown clutch....with 500 miles on the car...covered under warranty....replaced with an ACT clutch...dealer installed....nice ....motor blown 1250 miles....warranty...nice .....3000 miles...blown motor....dealer/corporate...says "up yours take a hike" ....what to do now...spun bearing on crank....sucks to be me...any ideas??????????????....thanks...wayne...ps had it on the track 3 times
Old May 12, 2004, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

All on the Works flash too right?
Old May 12, 2004, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think a reflash will cause a spun bearing. I guess it is time to get a stroker kit or fight Mitsu. Good luck and sorry about the motor.
Old May 12, 2004, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

2 motors and a clutch at 3000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
Old May 12, 2004, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

this is great, it sounds like your having a heluva good time with you EVO. .i wish i could drive mine like i stole it.

cant wait to run out of warranty,
Old May 12, 2004, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear that Wayne. best bet would be to simply rebuilt this engine with stronger internals and tell mistu "up yours, take a hike".

let me know if you need anything or if there is anything i can do to help
Old May 12, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Repeated pinging from a lean condition could result with spun bearings. Was the flash specifically tuned for the car or was it a mail flash?
Old May 12, 2004, 04:16 PM
Account Disabled

damn dude...what the hell did you do?!
Old May 12, 2004, 04:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn where have I seen this before. Could have sworn I just saw this same post 10 minutes ago in the Motorsports fourm.

I guess if your buddies with blonde you can get away with it.

Last edited by sr20det91; May 12, 2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old May 12, 2004, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

hey thanks ....anyways...I put a HKS downpipe intake and muffler ....had the cpu flashed.......i was running Yokohama slicks and the stock clutch went out at Thunderhill raceway....snap ring problem......they said it was a common defect and was gonna put the same stock clutch in.....i asked if i could put an aftermarket clutch in ..and they said no problem....ACT......went back to the track a few weeks later...Buttonwillow.....oh had new JIC suspension from RRE(john is a god)...anyways....motor went....dealer fixed...they tried replacing everything else first only after that the did a short block......got ready for the OTC stickered up the car...changed tranny fluid.....went to vegas for the OTC...5 tracks in 5 days....had open practice on Saturday...car ran great....4 or 5 sessions....came back to start racing next day Sunday...first time out...4th lap.....my co driver(POC driving instuctor)....KABOOM ...done.....dropped car off at dealer next day.....they call me the next day and told me that since i have an aftermarket clutch installed..a new policy ....no motor warranties......i had a friend of mine back east that used to be the Vice President of marketing at Mitsubishi look into it ...he said they had video of me racing and pictures of me racing the car.....now i'm headed to Plan B...but i don't know what Plan B is yet...thanks...Wayne...www.pulpracing.com
Old May 12, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

how does mitsubishi get pictures of people racing their cars and why would they even go to the trouble?? Sorry to hear that happened though man, that sucks... best of luck to you.
Old May 12, 2004, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

they are doing more research on people now...since a lot of motors are blowing up.....all they have to do is enter your name on the search engines and any website with your name in it comes up....they probalby entered "wayne mello" in Google or something and that brought them to numerous websites with OTC stories and pulpracing..and 10 years of racing stories and pictures...it sucks.....cars only 3 months old
Old May 12, 2004, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

could it have been the fuel starvation problem robi encountered?
Old May 12, 2004, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

i'm sorry that happened man, that really does suck, that makes sense though... i was just curious how they would do that, i wasn't questioning the truth of it though so i hope you didn't take it wrong
Old May 12, 2004, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

na na..its kewl......we never realize how our names get around when we've been racing for years......go to google and type your name in the search line and see what come up.....just for fun..try it.......you'll find out how popular you really are......anytime your name is mentioned in someone website..or race organization website.......Mitsubishi is doing research because they dont' wanna have to cover blown motors if they can weasal out of it....i don't really blame them....but i think they did something wrong with my original rebuild...the motor only had 700 miles on it when it blew up again.......there only time trials...not wheel to wheel racing....so i say technically in not racing.....thanks guys for your support

Quick Reply: 2nd Blown Motor Blown Clutch 3000 miles sucks