Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone interested in a GB on a RPS Carbon clutch?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2004, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone interested in a GB on a RPS Carbon clutch?

Testing the waters for a group buy on the RPS Carbon Carbon twin-plate clutch.
The best clutch on the market.

I may be able to get them in the upper $2000 range.

PM or reply if your interested and I'll talk to the vendor. If we get enough interest the vendor will become a forum sponsored vendor.

$3,795 Retail
RPS Carbon-Carbon
Formula One technology for the Street and Strip
Aerospace quality billet materials
Formula One style carbon-carbon
CNC machining
Dynamically balanced
Ultra smooth engagement properties
Super long lasting carbon-carbon material on all wear surfaces 1/2 the price of other carbon clutches
Available in both Single and Twin Disc
Fully rebuildable for life
RPS is the industry leader in carbon-carbon model specific
Twin Disc clutches.
Old May 22, 2004, 05:46 PM

A quote from Supraforums

"I've had the RPS C/C for about 18 months and I love it. I daily drive my car (20K miles a year), street race, drag race sometimes, and road racing is my new love. So I do virtually everything one can with a car except park it & show it.

Before the RPS C/C I had an OS Giken Triple Disc (cost about $2500 w/ adapter), I destroyed it in about a year with 650rwhp. My left leg to this day is still larger than my right leg from this clutch.

I had the HKS Triple ($1700 or so) which I destroyed in 9 months, not to mention it was a POS to drive.

I had the TRD Twin Disc ($1600 or so) which I managed to finish off in 12 months. They have no warranty at all from day one (for those of you that didn't know that) which I didn't like. Not that I would have tried to warranty it, I just think TRD should give a warranty for at least 3 months. Good clutch just wore out too quick.

Then while waiting on RPS to finish their C/C I put in an RPS single disc 6-puck just for the time being. Wasn't much left when I pulled it out but that was expected.

Then came the RPS C/C. I make anywhere from 600rwhp (road race turbo) to over 1,000 depending on what turbo I have on my car. We inspect my C/C every 2-3 months just to make sure everything is looking good. As of February when we looked at it & measured it (15 months or wear) I was missing about 5% of the carbon off the disc. 5% in 15 months! In the past I have destroyed a twin or triple disc clutch in basically 9-12 months. 15 months of abuse (and I HAVE abused it per Rob's request) and I'm showing 5% wear. And if I ever do wear it down to the point I need to replace it then RPS will charge me $400 to completely rebuild it.

In regards to how it drives, I love it. Its about 15% stiffer than stock which is perfect I think. I can slip it all I want, its certainly not an on-off switch like the HKS. It is as slippable as a stock disc but holds all the power I can throw at it.

The RPS C/C is on its 6th revision. The 6th revision was made about 10 months ago or so. RPS has said they have not seen a need for a 7th revision. However, if they ever revise it they will upgrade everyone to the newest revision for free. I'm sorry but that is EXCELLENT service. I don't see any other companies offering free upgrades to their newest, latest, greatest parts. RPS is a step above the rest.

When the RPS C/C first came out and a select few people were trying them out, there were some problems. These problems were to be expected in my opinion considering it was a brand new product and needed field testing to find its flaws. I had the 3rd revision which had a couple of issues that RPS fixed immediately. I'm currently running the 5th revision and have no need for the 6th revision at this time.

I am not aware of anyone having any issues with the C/C in the last 6 months. If they are having issues they must not have gotten it from me or they are not letting me know about it. C/C clutches are still new technology and I can see an occassional issue here or there.

But RPS has always supported the individual and the community with their products. As long as they are giving us excellent service and taking care of any issues that arise I see no reason for a couple of issues with such an overall awesome product to be reason not to buy it. Especially if you consider that we don't know if a clutch was installed properly, how it was broken in, and several other factors that one-sided stories tend to leave out.

I've driven virtually every clutch on the market and I sell virtually every clutch on the market. It is of my personal opinion that the RPS C/C is the absolute finest clutch ever made for the Supra and is no doubt worth every penny b\c you will never buy another clutch again.

Regards,

Dusty"
Old May 22, 2004, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Id be down if the price was 2k and not 3.2 k.
Old May 22, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The cost of carbon carbon clutches is really annoying. The only reason it is expesive is because the clutch lasts so long. clutch vendors will go out of business if everyone would buy carbon/carbon.

flywheel 500
two discs 100(x2)
floater 100
pressure plate 400
carbon material 400
balance job 200

1800 is what this clutch should cost.
Old May 22, 2004, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

I would like to buy this clutch but the price is just crazy right now, I am probably gonna end up with a ATS twin disk.
Old May 22, 2004, 06:41 PM

This is a group buy! The idea is with enough interest (and I have THE vendor for RPS) I can get the price down in the upper $2000 range.
Old May 23, 2004, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can agree that the RPS C-C is the best if money is no concern. Rather than pay a bit under $3k for the RPS, I'll be going with the ATS full carbon twin disk for just under $2k and use the extra grand toward a front LSD.
Old May 23, 2004, 07:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fork up another few thousand and you got yourself a full rally sequential tranny!! That price is INSANE! Do you guys realize that our trannies are strong but a clutch like this is just way overkill. In other words, the capacity of this clutch (amazing quality by the way) is way over what the tranny internals, transfer case, driveshafts, axles will ever be able to handle. The drivetrain will self distruct, BUT your RPS CC will be OK! I have yet to hear of anyone in the Evo forums overpowering any of the twin disc clutches. Some have broken clips or throw out bearings, but I have not seen a wiped twn disc clutch, not even Al's car with over 500whp.

I wish you guys lots of luck with this clutch if you ever get one, it does look beautiful and im sure its top notch. Oh, before I forget, remember that in order to get a carbon/carbon to work you need to heat it up, othewise she will just slip until the discs warm up.
Old May 25, 2004, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Read this review of the RPS:
http://www.is300.net/modules.php?nam...&highlight=RPS

IN comparison, I've bee dealing and installing ATS carbon clutches for about 3-4 years now and have never had one problem at all. We use the singles, twins, and triples.
Old May 25, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

I just bought an ATS twin so you can take me off .
Old May 27, 2004, 06:48 PM

I'll throw a bump, just to continue this feeler.
Old May 28, 2004, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

RPS does not do group buys

Unless they just changed their policy, that is
Old May 28, 2004, 11:00 AM

I could tell you my source, but then I'd have to kill you.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by metaphysical
I could tell you my source, but then I'd have to kill you.
RPS doesn't do GB at all!! But, the good news is the Carbon-Carbon clutch will be our in the Mid November to late November. It will have a starting price tag of $2800.00 Retail and the product will come with a limited warranty and all mating surface is rebuildable. This will be the absolute clutch to get for the EVO8. We are taking Pre order's now.