Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HELP!! My EVO wont start!

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2004, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question HELP!! My EVO wont start!

Hi guys, please help me here. I just came from the body shop where they called me because the car would not start.

Here is the story, I dropped the car off Friday to get it repaired and apparently they got it in the shop and it ran fine, but a bit later they tried moving it again and it just wont start. Sure enough, it cranks and the walbro pump is running (at least it makes noise like it's running), but the car just "coughs" once but wont start.. WTF?!?... I do have the AEM EMS in it, but the car was running and starting OK when I took it there and obviously it ran after that.... Yes, it does have gas in it.

What are the obvious things to look for? Please tell me so I can go back and see if I can troubleshoot this car and get it running so they can move it around..

Thanks in advance,

Manuel
Old May 24, 2004, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

If the battery is unplugged for a while will it effect the AEM unit any? I doubt it will, but just a thought. Would they have had anything unplugged when they were doing body work/ Maybe they forgot to hook a connector back up or something.
Old May 24, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will it turn over?
Old May 24, 2004, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nastea
will it turn over?
Yes it turns over just fine and yes they did disconnect some black box/canister from the area under the gas tank in the driver's side, but we connected the one plug that was off of it with no better results. The back bumper is off of course, so the lights are disconnected, but that should not affect the starting right?
Old May 24, 2004, 11:22 AM
EvoM Guru

start with the basics.... check for spark by removing one of the coils and putting a plug on the end. If you have spark then that eliminates that. Next, have a noid light or test light and check for a pulse at any injector plug. If you have a pulse then you still need to check if fuel is making it to the rail. Put your hand on the rail while someone turns the ignition on and off, see if you feel the fuel making it up there. Don't go crazy just yet, take your time and start with the basics. It sounds to me like the bodyshop had something to do with it.
Old May 24, 2004, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superz
start with the basics.... check for spark by removing one of the coils and putting a plug on the end. If you have spark then that eliminates that. Next, have a noid light or test light and check for a pulse at any injector plug. If you have a pulse then you still need to check if fuel is making it to the rail. Put your hand on the rail while someone turns the ignition on and off, see if you feel the fuel making it up there. Don't go crazy just yet, take your time and start with the basics. It sounds to me like the bodyshop had something to do with it.
I'll try those ideas... Has anybody else had a similar problem? If so, how did you solve it?
Old May 24, 2004, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

check all of your sensors for your ems. I forgot to connect my 3.5 bar sensor once and it wouldn't start.
Old May 24, 2004, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

if all else fails put the stock ecu back in.
Old May 24, 2004, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

One thing to check is the cam position sensor which is to the right of the head.

Mine got loose (no idea how) and the symptom was as you described: coughed, would not start.
Old May 24, 2004, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdzuricky77
check all of your sensors for your ems. I forgot to connect my 3.5 bar sensor once and it wouldn't start..

Originally Posted by ez76
One thing to check is the cam position sensor which is to the right of the head.

Mine got loose (no idea how) and the symptom was as you described: coughed, would not start.
Thanks guys, I'll take a look and see.... You got any pictures of those by chance?

Originally Posted by 93h22cvc
if all else fails put the stock ecu back in.
I don't think it will work at all at this point
Old May 24, 2004, 08:11 PM

well the body shop is responsable for your car, you left em a running car and now it doesnt, they will have to take it to a repair shop to have it fixed, most likely a dealership.

if this concerns you i dont know what to tell you. theres no telling what the body shop did. did they remove the fuel tank?