Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Turbokit is out and it's sick

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2004, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea man this FP company looks great too. They have there logo on there turbos. When i see logos on turbos i can see how far they are in this.
Old May 31, 2004, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guess Im just more into full kits........ plus I like the AMS manifold

-shahul
Old May 31, 2004, 05:21 PM

You guys need to check these turbo kits out as well.

http://www.sfp.net/shopdisplayproduc...cat=Mitsubishi
Old May 31, 2004, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

You can by the same exact kit from Works for $3700 complete with an ECU that will work like a charm.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

That SFP kit sounds really nice. It comes with everything you need to make some serious power, well minus the head studs. For the price it seems really good. Now only if I could see some pics of it. The ones on there site must be down.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

those turbos (good 'ol t3/t4's) are not as expensive and sophisticated (read efficient and spool slower) as the new garrett GT R turbos.. that's mainly why they're cheaper..

other than that they include the same things as atp.

----------

edit: scratch that... they're not cheaper!

Last edited by RENN-ART; Jun 1, 2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 07:52 PM

has anyone tried the atp gt3071r on their evos?care to provide some feedback
Old Jun 1, 2004, 08:36 PM

Correct the the T3/T4 is an older turbo but has proven time and again to produce some real nice power. For $2,400 you also get the manifold and a lower IC pipe. Trust me I'm no expert but dam that sounds like a sweet deal.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

T3/T4 is kinda laggy dont know man....
Old Jun 2, 2004, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

To answer a few questions that I've read.

1. The turbo isn't flanged because it uses v-band.

Edit: Here's a better picture of the v-band

2. From what I know, the exhaust manifold is good for flow until you're down to the 10's.(aka Big power) At which point you'd want a tubular manifold anyway.

3. The kit is done with only 3" exhaust. STOCK INTAKE even.

4. These dyno charts are done on a 4 WHEEL dyno... NOT 2!! ATP has their own 4 wheel dyno and gets all their numbers off it.

ATP is a dope company with fantastic prices. And they know their isht too. I will be ordering my kit on Friday

Edit:

For those of you who are looking for kits. ATP has everything you'll need for a "kit."

Optional / Upgrade Paths:
-Ecu Upgrade / Reflash
-Piggyback systems
-Stand-alone EMS
-Larger Injectors

Last edited by bolsen; Jun 2, 2004 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to agree.. Its definitely one of the top kits on my list to evaluate right now.. (I have a top secret setup I'm working on at the moment)
Old Jun 2, 2004, 10:02 AM

way to go I'm ordering mine once the small details are settled with them
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Hi Guys,

Being fairly new to the world of aftermarket turbos I have a lot of questions. Main reason that I haven’t gotten one myself before is money, looking at HKS kits and so on and you had to sell your mother or something to afford it When the EVO8 was released in the US things started to happen over there and lots of decent stuff started to show at very affordable prices. This ATP turbo kit for example and also internals like forged pistons and rods and much more.

Back to my questions, I’m seriously considering ordering one of the ATP kits, biggest question is which one? I have studied their dyno charts closely and the 3071 is the faster spooling one compared to the 3037 and the 3540 as they say. Then there's talk about surge and different A/R and I found myself not understanding 100% of it. What is surge to start with, I think it has to do with physical limits of the exhaust housing maybe? Then I have pretty much figured out that the A/R has to do with size of the compressor and exhaust wheels/houses (?) and it’s easy to see that you can get a lot of combinations when matching different ones. So, what is the difference between the 3071 with .63 A/R and the 3037 with .63 A/R?

Their chart on spool comparing the 3071, the 3037 and the 3540 shows some advantage on the 3071 where the two other seem pretty much equal up to around 4700rpm where the 3540 goes like a rocket upwards. But these charts on 3037 and 3540 which A/R is used? They offer both with either .63 or .82 A/R, what would the difference be if I choose either one? I realize we live in a world of compromises and this is very obvious in this case and you have to sacrifice spool to gain top end power and vice versa.

My car will have Motec management and 272 cams with adjustable gears so I think I should be (or a good tuner anyway) able to reduce the spool up time to some extent so at this point I might be leaning towards the 3540 but should I go with .63 A/R or .82?

Then what do you think about using the stock manifold? In my case it will not be stock as I have a custom made stainless tubular manifold using stock design flanges to be used on a stock turbo (one of the reasons this kit is extra interesting $$$ wise for me) but it’s still the design on the flange and the exhaust part of the turbo that makes me wonder if it’s efficient enough? Especially with the larger 3540?

Anyone still reading this far? I would be happy for any kind of answers and explanations I might get on this and I hope somebody have the time and energy to give it to me.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

You don't need to make your own header, JIC and DNP both make one.

But if you meant buying one from them as being "custom", there ya go.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 05:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Any of those choices really depends on what you want.. the "bigger turbos" make more power, but if the car is exclusively driven on the street and rarely at the track, big numbers may not be what you want. Its not much fun having a narrow high horsepower powerband. I think the 3071 would be alot more fun as a "Daily driver" because of the near stock spool and significant HP/Torque gains over stock. The 3540 setup is REALLY soggy until you get to 4800 or so RPM.. At least the torque levels are quite a bit lower at where most driving is done.

Also, if your doing alot of track driving (not drag racing) you might want something that spools earlier anyway.

I'm somewhat in the same boat.. I've already spent money on a JIC exhaust manifold, and a DNP O2 housing.. And had been researching stock appearing turbo assemblies. (Not much to research since I've only found 2 products besides stock turbos and neither have posted any really "useful" information nor are they widely known about) And of course, the Evo TME 6.5 Stock turbo is floating around but its expensive as hell and appears that nobody who has tried it were either impressed with it, or decided to profess its value.

I was contacted by ATP very early on about this product when they first prototyped the housing, and I was impressed as hell and was anxiously awaiting their product release. If you want alot of power, the 3540 setup with the .63 housing is a good compromise the larger one may be way too soggy. But I think their Base Stage3 3071 kit is going to be the most fun to drive every day, and probably will impress the most people. Think about the gains that turbo with only a turbo-back exhaust system had made? Add the typical boltons and engine management, cams, injectors, pump, etc.. and your looking at an excellent product for the price.

I do have to admit I'm a little confused by their charts, but if you look at the one that compares the 3037 and the 3071, what I'm concerned about is the torque at 3000-5000 rpm and not peak horsepower.. the 3071 was the one that I liked.. Again, I looked at the 3540 comparison with (what I recall as being the 3071 used as a comparison) and again, the 3071 produced the torque where most of my driving would be, where the 3540 produced amazing gains, but down low, torque was very low compared to the same range.

Just my 2cents.. Sometimes less is more, and most people aren't willing to make the compromises required to run 10 seconds in the quarter, nor do they really care if it takes the fun out of driving the car every day. Trust me, at some point you realize that ungodly amounts of horsepower become either useless on the street, or impractical/dangerous.

Quick Reply: The Turbokit is out and it's sick