Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Turbokit is out and it's sick

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2004, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MalibuJack

Thanks for your input, then what about the 3037? With .63 A/R what differs that from the 3071 with the same A/R? They don’t have a chart comparing the 3037 and the 3540 but you get that comparison from looking at both the other chars. It seems as if the 3540 spool about the same as the 3037 but at 4700rpm the 3540 just rockets upwards. So in that case the 3037 seem to be no good option at all?

I really don’t use my car as a daily driver, more like an expensive weekend toy and since I will have stand alone management (Motec) with ALS and 272 cams with adjustable gears I’m kind of figuring that a 3540 with .63 A/R might not be that laggy after all?

Still, I’m very curious on what the difference between the 3037 and the 3071 really is? Generally speaking I would say that the 3037 should be somewhere between the 3071 and the 3540 in spool up but the chars shows that it isn’t. I’m having a hard time making up my mind here and being on the other side of the world doesn’t make things easier exactly

Last edited by EVOVII_SWE; Jun 3, 2004 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant agree more
Old Jun 3, 2004, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

30371 is the best one for the streets. Rememeber they are only boosting 20psi and this turbo can go up to 30 psi so if you want alot of power this turbo will put in one with out having a laggy start.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, you actually answered what I was also going to say.. In his case, the 3540 might work for him simply because of what he intends to do with it.. However, I think with some tuning and a the same "required mods" that the 3540 requires, on the 3071, your gains would be similer with a much earlier spool under higher boost.

Now, from what I know, the 3037 is an earlier design turbo with a slightly different impeller and therefore spools later but "Bites harder" at higher rpm therefore it can move more air with a more aggressive compressor turbine.. hence more lag at lower RPM..

You really can't go wrong with any of these kits.. but just be aware of the adjustment to your driving style and that part throttle driving would be impacted.. if you do any circuit driving with alot of turns and short straightaways, then a bigger kit would obviously be detrimental because it would be more difficult to keep the car in the RPM range it likes to be at.

I don't know enough about the 3037 other than its similar in design to what the HKS and other kits use and all of those kits had unsatisfactory characteristics for what I was looking for.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

I was not thinking of replacing the stock turbo in my Evo until now. I like the fact that it keeps that stock appearance look. One thing I am wodering is if I installed this kit would my Vishnu dump back exhaust bolt right up to this thing?

Also, I see some guys pushing some pretty good power on the stock turbo w/ a stage 1+. If this turbo is added in the mix w/ upgraded injectors, I am wondering what kind of power I would be looking at. The only other thing I would need to do is get this thing custom tuned by Vishnu and possibly get a new FMIC. I wonder if this would be a cheaper route to go than a Stage 2 kit by Vishnu...
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

This turbo with basic tuning and stock engine will give you 360 whp. With good tuning and so on you should reach 450whp
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
This turbo with basic tuning and stock engine will give you 360 whp. With good tuning and so on you should reach 450whp
I got the stock turbo to do 360whp...and that was before the water injection.

But go ahead and buy that turbo kit. :-)
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

30371 is the best one for the streets. Rememeber they are only boosting 20psi and this turbo can go up to 30 psi so if you want alot of power this turbo will put in one with out having a laggy start.

I posted my original post at the MLR forum as well and it seems as some people in the UK already tried the same or at least very similar setups like the 3071 and they very promptly brought up the issue of surge. Especially when running high boost on such applications. I have cut and paste these comments from different people:

It will be very interesting to see whether this unit suffers from compressor surge (especially with the 0.63 A/r exhaust housing).

Even the 'laggy' GT3037 suffers from some compressor surge so it is difficult to imagine anything spooling quicker without suffering surge.

I think this is the unit that Mark and Gaz have previously trialled ie: the GT30 72 mm compressor wheel with the 57mm 'ultra high flow' exhaust wheel?
Be aware near stock spool up on a stock comp engine . the small gt 35/30 wheel that is being used is the very same as both gaz and sam and mark used .!!!also be aware of the turbine too ! what size trim are they supplying . the stock unit from garrett surged like a pig and cost money to correct even still surge was a near thing if too much boost was used .as the american's show us time and time again they always have ways to solve problems . but to me getting this kit and then taking a backwards step of fitting a stainless mainfold is madness !! as this is what we all want to get away from.
Compressor surge is caused by a mis-match of compressor and turbine stages for a particular application. The mis-match can be either wheels or housings or usually a combination of both. For example a small exhaust housing (eg 0.63 A/r) with an efficient turbine wheel may overdrive a big compressor wheel to the point where no more air can be forced into the engine (due to back-pressure). This results in compressor surge which is actually the air stalling at the compressor wheel. The compressor cover can be ported to improve this but it how much this helps is up for debate. Changing to a larger exhaust housing (a/r) may reduce the compressor surge, because this means the turbine wheel will spool slower. This will also give you more peak flow, at the cost of a slower spool up.
the 3071 is not a garrett part number !!! the ATP unit they put togeather is there own hybrid !!! the internal wastegated gt30 is the stock item issued with this new wheel !!!! the stock unit has a 2 3/4 " inlet a a 0.50 comp cover !!! the 3037 compressor wheel is a 76.2mm exducer wheel the 3071 is a 71mm wheel . however garrett via new research have found new designs that will give greater hp than previous larger wheels could . for eg the new GT30 71mm wheel is rated @ 480/500hp by garrett . many people have tryed this combo but all find surge to be problematic !!! the new gt 30 wheel is also a lot deeper than normal wheels and has more blades too ! garrett have tryed to keep inertia down ! so by using deeper wheels and smaller diameters they get better response and good hp to suit . if only paper figures were true !!!!!
I think there is lots of knowledge in the UK and apparently some people have tried similar things and running into problems with surge. This makes me even more uncertain on what to do and what to choose? If I just had the money I would probably go for something like the AMS kit but it's just too expensive and I can't see that kind of money comming in any time this year So the options would be the ATP kit or just stick with the stock turbo.

Last edited by EVOVII_SWE; Jun 3, 2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

4G63000. SO you got your stock turbo to do 360whp I just wonder how long it will last you and what boost are you running plus how much you spent?? I bet you spent more than $3000 and your turbo is a ball of fire by now. This ATP turbo can boost up to 30 psi with no issues so go figure how much power i can make.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Good post,i too am at the same crossroad.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

4G63000. SO you got your stock turbo to do 360whp I just wonder how long it will last you and what boost are you running plus how much you spent?? I bet you spent more than $3000 and your turbo is a ball of fire by now. This ATP turbo can boost up to 30 psi with no issues so go figure how much power i can make.
It's lasted 6 months so far and shaft is still firm. Running 24psi on the water, but I agree with you, it doesn't have much more left. Not a ball of fire yet, but I don't see any reason to spend money on a turbo kit when, on daily pump gas, I won't be making any more power with it and will actually lose spoolup, which is important to those of us that take our cars on the track and aren't chasing after some dyno number or timeslip to wave around on the internet.

That ATP backhousing doesn't look like it flows very well and until someone puts up numbers that impress me ON PUMP GAS, I'm sticking with what I have.

Besides, getting full boost at 2700rpm is a LOT more fun than waiting until 4500 for a big boy to spool. But it's all about what you're into, right?
Old Jun 3, 2004, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

exactly. I want one setup for my car that will give me around 400 whp. I dont want parts here and there and boost controler here and dyno here and downpipe made by I dont know whom. I want one step to get me power and for $3000. by the way this turbo spools up at 3500 rpm not 4500 rpm plus I can boost up to 27 and 28 on 100 octane gas. and once i change my cams my low end power will improve. although, I was wondering what makes you think that ATP housing does not flow good I mean i bought so many parts from these people for my VW and nothing but the best. by the way 24 psi is high for our stock turbo and i hope u changed your head stud.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

the 3071 is not a garrett part number !!! the ATP unit they put togeather is there own hybrid !!!
Garrett works explicity with ATP designing turbos for all sorts of applications. Many of these unique turbos are ONLY available through ATP.

Oh and what's everyone's deal with PSI? Remember folks, PSI isn't what's so important, it's the volume of air moved that is. Meaning, a bigger turbo running at 10 PSI can/will make MORE power than a smaller turbo at 20 PSI (just an example.) The bigger turbos are pushing waaaaay more air, so you are making way more power even with smaller boost.

Last edited by bolsen; Jun 4, 2004 at 01:29 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

When I talked to the Garrett rep. at the NHRA sport compact race at Morosso a couple weeks back he was raving about the 3071R. The Garrett rep. also told me if I needed anything I should call ATP for turbos and questions since they work hand in hand with Garrett.

Now with bigger injectors and cams I can see the 3071R making low 400whp on pump gas and 450-470whp on race. That is going to be hard to beat with the way that turbo will spool. If you want be just stupid fast though the 35R is the way to go.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

I am getting this turbo next week I will let you guys know.

Quick Reply: The Turbokit is out and it's sick