Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Removed HKS EVC = Not boosting past 10.5psi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2004, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the obvious: How's the turbo? Have you pulled the intake and inspected it? Any shaft play or damaged fins?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 07:40 AM
Former Sponsor

The car pulls great up to 11 psi; the turbo is as healthy as a baby hippopatamus. Turbo is fine.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Have you pressure tested the intake pathway and checked for leaks?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

if there's absolute no solution to this, you're better off putting the HKS EVC V controller back to see if the problem persists
Old Jun 5, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

i may actually try that, but I dont understand (or AMS tuning) why it wont work.....

its virtually stock.... I mean, its stock 99.9%.... I dont get it... anyone know if there is a cheap aftermarket wastegate (tial 38mm)? and if it fits w/o dumping back into a dp?

-Shahul
Old Jun 5, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you get my email?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

yea I did.... I replied right? (it was a pm?)

-shahul
Old Jun 6, 2004, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

getting frustrated...... and sad

-shahul
Old Jun 6, 2004, 02:58 PM

frustated here 2.....gonna re-do all my hoses tomorrow....im gonna disconnect the evc...and see if im boosting 19.5 on my analog boost guage.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

see I was boostin fine with the EVC..... once it was gone is the issue.....

but I hope you get it....at least one of us can enjoy 19+ psi of fun

-shahul
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

No you didn't reply Shaul X.

Here is the deal for anyone with this problem.
First it boosted fine with the EVC so therefore the stock boost control method has a problem. Unless the wastegate is stuck open then it's not the wastegate.
The boost control circuit is not plumbed correctly or there is a boost leak somewhere. The manual includes a 3 page diagnosis for low boost that tests the solenoid and wastegate.
If the hoses were installed and there was no restrictor at the turbo housing nipple then it is possible that the wastegate saw too much pressure and is damaged. The testing procedure specifies that the wastegate not see any more then 17 psi or 117 kPa. The restrictor exists in the short hose that goes to the turbo nipple. (black hose) It's purpose is to reduce the pressure that the wastegate and solenoid sees. The longer hose with the pink end, goes to the wastegate actuator.

If either of you want to talk to me over the phone and I will go over the hoses with you, PM me.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

the owners manual?

so w/o the resitrictors in the hoses if I was boosting 20psi it would/could damage the wastegate....?

I tried a new selenoid to no avail....

-shahul
Old Jun 7, 2004, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor

With the hose off; it causes damage by overboosting, since there is no restriction. Accordingly, MachV recommended an overboost test that calls for carefull pull to observe overboosting - however - it did not happen.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Yes it is possible to damage the actuator with too much pressure to it (no restrictor) It is not that common and is probably not the case.
I still think the problem is the hose setup because no one will verify for me exactly how tey are installed. I offered to go over it on the phone with you and you didn't respond. Mui3z did take that option and I think we are clear on his problem with his boost with the EVC now. This is really simple stuff, it's only 3 hoses and the solenoid. I have the proper diagnosis steps from the mitsu manual but no one has PM'd me for them.
Who has the car? Shaul X or AMSTuning?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AMSTuning.com
With the hose off; it causes damage by overboosting, since there is no restriction. Accordingly, MachV recommended an overboost test that calls for carefull pull to observe overboosting - however - it did not happen.
I was talknig about damage to the actuator if there is no restriction on the boost it sees from the compressor housing. It should only see about 17 psi and with the restrictor it does.

Your saying that you removed the red hose from the actuator and drove the car and it did not boost past 10.5?
What are you using for a boost gauge?
Does it feel like it only has 10.5 when you did this test or is that just the reading you got?

If the actuator hose is off and it does not make boost then the actuator rod is bent or the actual wastegate is stuck open. By disconnecting the hose then you eliminate the boost control and the wastegate is closed, therefore unlimited boost is available. If you can't make more the 10.5 then the wastegate is open and the exhaust is bypassing the wheel only providing x amount boost or energy to compress the inlet air.

Quick Reply: Removed HKS EVC = Not boosting past 10.5psi