Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is an intercooler upgrade worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is an intercooler upgrade worth it?

I'm thinking of doing the Bushur intercooler and upper piping next. I was just wondering if anyone has any dyno numbers etc. I would love to hear from someone that has the kit/or another kit. Did it increase your MPH at the track etc? I just hate the thought of dumping $1,000+ on the entire kit unless I can notice the difference.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on what you are aiming for, i have seen an evo run 11.7@ 118mph with stock fmic. If you are lookin to running faster than that i would then get one. the stock fmic is very nice and it's really big. If you dont have cams yet spend your money there instead.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks..

Yeah I have Hks 264s.. Just looking for the best next step...

I have Turboback, MBC, Dynoflash, ARP bolts, 660cc's Walbro ect... Considering the BR FMIC or racing head... My goal is 115mph+
Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

my best is 12.1 @114mph and i don't have cams or injectors.
i am now in the market for 272 cams and 660cc. How much did you pay for the injectors?
Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

Great MPH... What kind of boost were you running.. That is the highest mph without cams that I've seen....

My injectors were like $440.00. Since I don't have a clutch, I haven't taken mine to the track.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

long before I'd worry about an intercooler, I'd consider Water Injection. Cools the air better, increases the ability to up the timing, improve the fuel mix, which means... mo power..., All without detonation. So for the same money you get Much better results. Check out,
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

one of many WI sites, follow through their links for an indication of what WI can do.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nothere
long before I'd worry about an intercooler, I'd consider Water Injection. Cools the air better, increases the ability to up the timing, improve the fuel mix, which means... mo power..., All without detonation. So for the same money you get Much better results. Check out,
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

one of many WI sites, follow through their links for an indication of what WI can do.
I would rather not do WI.... It just amazes me how little info/Dyno numbers are out there on intercoolers... I'd love to see a before /after... Bushur's site really doesn't have it either... .
Old Jun 1, 2004, 06:25 AM

look into propane injection...
Old Jun 1, 2004, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jamieritchie
look into propane injection...
I just want to know how much HP is picked up with the BR intercooler and piping....

Last edited by xstang; Jun 1, 2004 at 06:45 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

I have the Greddy V-SPL FMIC kit. It is really nice. It includes the lower piping from the turbo outlet to the intercooler inlet and from the intercooler outlet up to right in front of the air box. The greddy FMIC is 3" thick which is 3/8" thicker than stock FMIC. The core is also about 4" longer. When I had the stock FMIC, I noticed in warm weather (above 65 degrees) my car would be down a little bit in MPH (~3 mph). When the weather was in the mid 40's to lower 50's the car was a good bit faster. IMO, the stock FMIC works very well until the ambient air temps climb above 65 to 70 degrees. My thinking is with the upgraded intercooler, I should be able to run more consistent MPH during varying weather conditions. I haven't run it yet, but should know how well it works the next time I go to the track. The intercooler kit fits great and I like it alot. The guy I bought mine from has one more available if anyone is interested in one. PM and I will give you his number.

Brian
Old Jun 1, 2004, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
I have the Greddy V-SPL FMIC kit. It is really nice. It includes the lower piping from the turbo outlet to the intercooler inlet and from the intercooler outlet up to right in front of the air box. The greddy FMIC is 3" thick which is 3/8" thicker than stock FMIC. The core is also about 4" longer. When I had the stock FMIC, I noticed in warm weather (above 65 degrees) my car would be down a little bit in MPH (~3 mph). When the weather was in the mid 40's to lower 50's the car was a good bit faster. IMO, the stock FMIC works very well until the ambient air temps climb above 65 to 70 degrees. My thinking is with the upgraded intercooler, I should be able to run more consistent MPH during varying weather conditions. I haven't run it yet, but should know how well it works the next time I go to the track. The intercooler kit fits great and I like it alot. The guy I bought mine from has one more available if anyone is interested in one. PM and I will give you his number.

Brian
Thanks... That helps... Since I live in the DFW area, it probably will be a good investment....
Old Jun 1, 2004, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

i think part of the reason you don't see alot of dyno numbers on a new FMIC is because when you dyno, you are in a room. This means ur not out doing 80 mph and sucking in air. I bet you'd only gain a 10 hp on a dyno, but on the street or in a race, you'd gain much more. Just my thoughts...

xstang, where are you in dfw? I'm in Richardson
Old Jun 1, 2004, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Oh, also see which FMIC has the best efficiency...Something like 66.6% is awesome, in 150 degree air, you get rid of 100 degrees, which means your taking in 50 degree air
Old Jun 1, 2004, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mattsteg45
i think part of the reason you don't see alot of dyno numbers on a new FMIC is because when you dyno, you are in a room. This means ur not out doing 80 mph and sucking in air. I bet you'd only gain a 10 hp on a dyno, but on the street or in a race, you'd gain much more. Just my thoughts...

Good point!!!
Old Jun 1, 2004, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mattsteg45

xstang, where are you in dfw? I'm in Richardson
Thanks... I live in Bedford off of 183.... The efficiency think makes sense.. Is that something that is listed for most FMIC? I like Bushur's because of the shorter piping....

Quick Reply: Is an intercooler upgrade worth it?