Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Still stalling!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2004, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive put my car together in stages.....i have safc and it did it before that was installed...i have cams, and everyone says its the cams...then i tell them it did it before the cams went in....i had custom tune, did it before the custom tune and after....did it before the grounding kit and after....
didnt do it before we put the bigger intake on it....and that was one of the first things to go on
all of u with any stalling issue, do u have a bigger intake??
Old Jun 3, 2004, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

I checked the connections on the field ECU patch harness and they are all good. I soldered and insulated them well. My car only has 4K miles so I haven't checked the plugs yet...should I?? I'll probably try a grounding kit to see if it fixes the problem, it can't hurt even if it doesn't. I like the performance gains from the AFC II and the cold air suction kit so I probably won't remove any of the two.

Rally Red '03 Evo
Old Jun 3, 2004, 07:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd check the plugs anyway.. I developed a misfire from fouling around 5000 miles.. took me awhile to figure out why my car ran poorly with my stage 1 buschur components at the time.. I did notice that when the plugs were really fouled, the RPM's would drop and be more sensitive to transient loads and blowoff at low RPM (moving then suddenly stopping and getting on the clutch)
Old Jun 3, 2004, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

I installed the AFC II, bigger intake, and MBC all at once. I had no stalling issues before that. My car first stalled about a week after installation of these parts and has continued ever since. A mitsu. salesman I talked to has an '03 Evo with around 9K miles with only a HKS hiper catback system and a K&N typhoon intake. He has the same stalling problems so I'm assuming it is not the AFC II that is causing the problem.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

I'll check the plugs this weekend. Are the NGK plugs the best to go with if they need to be replaced?
Old Jun 3, 2004, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

its not the afc......come on folks, thats not even a good guess....
in my case the plugs are good....if the plugs are bad, u will have more issues than only dying out at a certain rpm when creeping forward.
in most of these cases, its the intakes.....grounding kits wont help, its not even an idle issue, its at around 1800-2000 rpm.....
at least suggest some theories or guesses that make sense.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What blow off valve do you have on the car?
Did you damage the MAF screen when you removed it from the original air box?
And to support what Malibu Jack said. The car is very rich stock and now you are adding more fuel down low which will only make things worse if they are already borderline.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 01:38 AM
Evolving Member

timzcat, i had a custom tune done, so im not sure if its still rich....but im not sure if even stock they are that rich down low, we all know they are rich up top. ive tried taking fuel away at the rpm point where it likes to die..(1800-2000rpm) i had no luck with that...
again, its only a certain rpm point and when the clutch isnt let out all the way and u take ur foot off the gas abruptly.....im assuming the conditions are about the same for all of us in this boat as far as how it stalls.
true, most of the time u can prevent it cause ya know what conditions cause it, but a real pain in the *** in stop and go traffic.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

This is a problem that has been reported several times now. I have the problem. Most people have seen the problem in stop and go traffic. It is not the AFC as someone has pointed out. Nor is it a damaged mass sensor. I can only identify what is not causing the problem. I have no technical explanation. I do think it is intake related, either with MAS pipe or without.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by players234
I have the Aem Short ram and my car does the same things, when creeping it stalls out, it is very annoying any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hey where in NJ are you? I'd like to see a car with this issue and maybe I can help.
I am about to put a MAF pipe on but I have to say that I have no expectation that I will join the crowd. I just don't see how it can cause the stalling on it own.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
never had a problem, just recently installed the Greddy Type S BOV and still no problems.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

the bigger intakes are believed to cause the problem well, because theyre bigger. and being bigger it throws off the maf's air/fuel readings off and the computer doesnt compensate fast enough nor can it adjust to the bigger diameter intake...thus, it changes the airflow that the sensor is reading for air/fuel, and causes a stalling issue.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 07:13 PM

I honestly dont see how a intake pipe can cause this problem. Venting your BOV to atmosphere will, a vaccum leak will, but bigger pipe diameter?? Doubtful. Maybe Im wrong, but the MAS is still reading the airflow in the same way as stock, since there is no modifications to the diameter of the acutal MAS housing itself. Unmetered air entering the engine will mess with the readings, like a hacked honeycomb in the MAS or a leak somewhere after the MAS. Larger intakes on the stock MAS will be read correctly assuming it is not a issue with the sensor itself. Yes it will see more airflow which will make the ECU add more fuel, but I dont see how it can dump that much more fuel in to make it stall out. A aftermarket filter doesnt flow THAT much more then a stock one to make such a dramatic difference. The metering of the air should not be affected since the stock MAS is unchanged. How many of you guys with the stalling issue have a vented BOV? Just curious. If not, double check all your hoses and clamps, etc. Let us know what you find. Good luck
Old Jun 5, 2004, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

well i for one have a recirc bov....no vaccuum leaks that i know of. now what?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

I also have a recirc. BOV and am pretty sure there are no hose or vacuum leaks. I've checked all of the hoses a number of times and made sure all of the connections are tight as well as checking the plugs. I did try adding up to +8 at 1800-2200 rpms with the AFC II and noticed that the car was catching itself at 500 rpm most of the time before stalling out. It still doesn't run right though and still stalls occassionally.

Quick Reply: Still stalling!