Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Throttle Body Whistle..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2004, 08:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Throttle Body Whistle..

Has anyone noticed that our throttle body whistles when the blades are open "just right"???

I used to faintly hear a sound and never was sure what it was until I upgraded my intercooler pipes..

Its definitely not a leak or any other issue, and its not the Diverter valve because it makes a different "Chirp sound" under very low boost, but only whooshes under higher boost.. and I don't have any boost leaks..

I thought it was funny and a little irritating.. apparently nobody hears it but me.
Its not a vacuum leak from my vacuum lines..

Oh well, its just an observation, maybe its just something unique about the buschur intake pipes..
Old Jun 5, 2004, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did that all the time in my old DSM. It was my passing whistle With a K&N conical filter it was loud enough for the slow driving convertables in front to hear it. you sound the whistle a couple of times and they would move over
Old Jun 5, 2004, 04:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Ok.. at least I'm not crazy.. I think I'm going to upgrade my 1G Diverter Valve to a 1G flanged blowoff anyway... It seems to release a bit early under vacuum.. It definitely isn't the valve, but I think I need to adjust it a bit anyway.

Good news is instead of spiking at 22.8 psi and dropping to 17psi, It ramps to 21psi and tapers slightly to 19psi.. A little retuning and I'll be very happy.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey Malibu, can you tell me the difference between a 1G blow off valve and a 1G flaged blowoff? Are they completely different animals, or is the latter a modification of the first?
Old Jun 6, 2004, 09:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Whoops, I mean to say "An Aftermarket 1G Flanged Blowoff"

The flange is the constant.. I'm trying to find an aftermarket BOV that shares the same flange as the 1G valve so I can replace it.. But because my car has slighty different "vacuum" characteristics than some other cars, and how I am still running my stock boost control solenoid, I wanted to swap something in that is a bolton and adjustable, preferrably recirculating.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey MalibuJack, do you have the MAF pipe too and if so, what did you use to connect the diverter valve to the MAF pipe? Did it come with the hose or did you buy something. I am waiting for the MAF pipe and don't see reusing the stock DV hose.

Thanks
Tim
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:27 PM
EvoM Guru

actually the Buschur MAF pipe has a recurculating fitting on there.. and the upper intercooler pipe came with the hose.. so its all on there and working.. it actually all bolted up real cleanly.. there were two things that had to be relocated.. the pressure fitting for the boost solenoid had to be put into another vacuum/boost source.. and there was no nipples for the crankcase vent, or boost solenoid vent on the MAF pipe.. the solenoid vent isjust hanging out there.. and the crankcase vent now has my trick little oil catch/filter on it..
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Did you get them at the same time? I have the upper IC piping all installed and am waiting for the MAF pipe. I did not get the hose, just the 1G diverter valve itself. Please don't tell me that I was supposed to get that hose with he upper IC because I have been waiting 3 weeks for the damn MAF pipe and if it doesn't come with the hose then I will have to find one to work.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:36 PM

I have a turbocharged Z, and it has a similar whistle. People call it the "goose honk". If you hold the throttle _just right_, the turbos will provide a good amount of boost... but it won't all make it past the throttlebody because it's mostly closed. The Recirc/BOV valves operate on the differential pressure before/after the TB, this condition makes just enough differential pressure for the recirc valve to kinda want to open, but not quite. The valve just vibrates against it's housing because it's not really opening, but there really isn't anything keeping it closed either. The vibration sounds like a goose honking, could this be the same thing you are hearing? You don't really hear it with the stock airbox, only with aftermarket intakes.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is not as trick but using a 90 degree street elbow will keep most all oil from the filter element and as long as I don't get too much oil in the line itself it will flow fine.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Yep.. thats exactly what my assumption was.. that the recirc was opening a little too easily and honking/whistling against the seat periodically.. though I hear two distinct noises.. the other one is definitely the throttle body, but its not annoying..

At least I didn't break anything.. thanks guys..
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by timzcat
Did you get them at the same time? I have the upper IC piping all installed and am waiting for the MAF pipe. I did not get the hose, just the 1G diverter valve itself. Please don't tell me that I was supposed to get that hose with he upper IC because I have been waiting 3 weeks for the damn MAF pipe and if it doesn't come with the hose then I will have to find one to work.
Since I got the MAF pipe and Intercooler pipes at the same time, I don't remember which of the two bags of parts it came with.. I'm fairly certain it was the MAF pipe. The good news is if you had to, the stock hose is nearly identical and will work in a pinch..

Since I have a blowthrough MAF, I need to have buschur (or someone else) create a new or modify the existing upper pipe to accomodate a 3" blowthrough maf setup.. hopefully it'll be done in a week if I can get someone to turn around a the part for me quickly.. with the buschur maf pipe, the upgraded MAF was a little too long to setup as a drawthough like I originally wanted.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by timzcat
Mine is not as trick but using a 90 degree street elbow will keep most all oil from the filter element and as long as I don't get too much oil in the line itself it will flow fine.
Not all taht different than what I did.. except I used a "cheap mrgasket fuel filter" with the element removed as the oil trap in the line so it can go somewhere.. it then gets drawn back into the valvecover under vacuum if there's too much in there..
Old Jun 6, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Since I got the MAF pipe and Intercooler pipes at the same time, I don't remember which of the two bags of parts it came with.. I'm fairly certain it was the MAF pipe. The good news is if you had to, the stock hose is nearly identical and will work in a pinch..

Since I have a blowthrough MAF, I need to have buschur (or someone else) create a new or modify the existing upper pipe to accomodate a 3" blowthrough maf setup.. hopefully it'll be done in a week if I can get someone to turn around a the part for me quickly.. with the buschur maf pipe, the upgraded MAF was a little too long to setup as a drawthough like I originally wanted.
Well I ordered a MAF pipe 3 weeks ago because David said they were in stock, now I get a different story from Jarrod every week as to where it is. Needless to say I am not very happy with them right now. I sent David a PM about the whole thing.
I have the worst luck. I brought ARP head studs and while putting them in found that one of the nuts had no threads. To their credit they shipped me 3 more and had them to me quickly.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Malibujack,

I got both of your whistles/chirps. Happened after I installed upper IC pipe and filter. Called BR and they had no clue of what I was talking about. The whistling is really annoying.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Whistle..