Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what should i do

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what should i do

i have Buschur stage 4 and want to do more. should i buy a bigger turbo or get the AEM EMS. i only want to buy one right now. i could buy both but don't want to spend that much at once.

max out stock turbo OR head studs and bigger turbo ???
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:59 AM

The larger Turbo won't do you much good if you can't tune the car to handle the power it can put out. I would invest in fuel/tuning before the Turbo.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

definitely, always make sure you lay out the groundwork before you just start jumping into power making mods.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

i have an safc2, 255 fuel pump, and injectors

with the stock turbo im not sure how far fine tuning will get me but i know that with a larger turbo i should be quicker with moderate tunning

Aem w/ install and tuning about $3500 vs turbo, head studs and tuning about $3000

any factual info please
Old Jun 16, 2004, 01:57 PM

Well if your going to eventually get both, go for the Aem Ems first. with a stage 4 and Aem good tune I think theyve been getting around ~380 whp on stock turbo, and running mid to high 11's. Not to shabby!!!

With the new turbo alone, You may not be that happy, with out a way to get down a solid tune. you could get a reflash but ???

Plus new turbo/housing/manifold combos starting to get attention who knows?

Just my 2 cents
Old Jun 16, 2004, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

yea without a good engine comp.... a big turbo may not be that fun.....

-shahul
Old Jun 16, 2004, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

i'm in the exact same position. I am going to get the AEM because once you have that, you know whatever you do in the future you know you will be able to get optimal tuning out of your car
Old Jun 16, 2004, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rez90
i'm in the exact same position. I am going to get the AEM because once you have that, you know whatever you do in the future you know you will be able to get optimal tuning out of your car
I couldn't agree more. I would rather lay down the foundation with the EMS and build from there. You get the benefit of maximizing the power you have now; as well as being able to do the same when it comes time to do more mods like upgrading the turbo like you mentioned.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

i would go standalone. Then build the block and upgrade the turbo.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

so the Aem wins i guess but i want to go as fast as i can for the least money right now. the EMS will help the idle w/272s that i have but how much power can i expect? i run a 12.6 at 108 on pump now what kind of pump runs can i make w/ ems?
Old Jun 17, 2004, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Why dont you ever thought of the Utech? Standalones are expensive to get and expensive to tune. You might get alittle bit more power on the standalone. With that money, you can get the utech and turbo at the same time. Tuning with the Utech should be alot easier too. When you get the EMS, you need to get it install and tuned. It will need a retune once you upgrade your turbo. You would have to pay twice for tuning. If you have the cash, might as well go all out and do it all at the same time. Save you 600 just like that. Plus, you know already that you will eventually upgrade to a bigger turbo. Do it now and save the extra cash for body kits or rims. I wish I'm in your shoes, it be easy to decide.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 03:51 PM

I went with utec, It gets my vote. comes with base maps and its a snap to tune. let the factory ems takecare of all the non performance functions and fine tune the utec fuel,timing and boost maps.

Aem's standalone been around longer for evo, utec fairly new and has some quirks but simple to work around. I think Aem able to create more power because they switch to speed density set up (which the utec does not) Utec reads the maf but that can be upgraded to increase airflow.

Just an option if your looking to save some $$$ Ams is a great setup!!!