Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car keeps on randomly stalling?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2004, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car keeps on randomly stalling?

This just started happening recently, only thing that I can tie the incidents together, is that it was raining when it happened.

Mods are AEM Short Ram Intake, Ultimate-Racing 3" downpipe, Ultimate-Racing 3" hi-flow cat, 3" Greddy Titanium catback, Apexi Turbo Timer, stainless steel clutch line & 2-piece & 8-piece bushings.

The car ran fine with all these mods for at least over 2-3 months. Battery & ECU has been reset with all these mods installed. It just started happening recently, like 2-3 days ago. Tonight it stalled twice.

First time was in heavy rain, I was crusing, going uphill. I can't remember whether I was in gear or not, but I think when it happens, I think it's when I'm taking it out of gear...

Second time was tonight, going up an incline into a parking lot in 1st gear, it just stalls, I wasn't taking it out of gear or anything, it just dies. Then it won't start again. I had to turn the entire car off, coast into the parking lot & pull the e-brake up, sat there for a few seconds, then it started again.

Third time was right after I started it back up from the 2nd time, in 1st gear pulling forward into a parking space, it stalls. Again, I do not remember if I was taking it out of gear or not.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Jun 16, 2004, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Did it happen when you try to inche forward very slowly in first gear? My guess is the AEM which come with an induction pipe that cause it. Those pipe can make your MAF go crazy just like VTA BOV. I would try to swap the stock intake back or at least the rubber hose back and see if the problem go away.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kevo
Did it happen when you try to inche forward very slowly in first gear? My guess is the AEM which come with an induction pipe that cause it. Those pipe can make your MAF go crazy just like VTA BOV. I would try to swap the stock intake back or at least the rubber hose back and see if the problem go away.
Yeah sorta I guess...

What rubber hose are you talking about?

The weird thing is I've had the AEM intake on for months & it never happened though...
Old Jun 16, 2004, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, i have the same aem intake and when i come to a rolling stop, push the clutch in fast, it wants to stall on me. i just give it some gas. it is the intake cuz i put the factory back on and it didnt do it. ive just learned to deal with it.

hes talking about the black factory air intake hose.

Last edited by jsprat7; Jun 16, 2004 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 09:10 PM

You too huh? Mine started stalling the same day I put on my intake. It wasn't as bad as your last experience but mine was stalling once every other day when I was outta gear. I took the intake out a week and a half ago and no more stalling since then.

It could be your intake but you should check your turbo timer also. Just make sure no wires came loose on the timer.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
how do you fix this?
Old Jun 21, 2004, 01:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Put the stock intake pipe back on.. Thats the only "real" Solution.. the bigger pipe lowers the airspeed through the MAF sensor (try 25hz at idle compared to 30-35hz with the stock components) that is enough to "stall the sensor" and therefore potentially stall the engine.. do a search this has been covered in detail.

One thing though, if the weather got rainy and its been running fine until the weather changed, its the ECU needs to adjust a bit until it learns the new weather conditions (long term fuel trims) It won't eliminate the problem completely, but it will get less frequent..
Old Jun 21, 2004, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
change to MAP :P aem all the way!
Old Jun 21, 2004, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Until you need OBD-II to pass inspection.. But yeah, thats another alternative..
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:00 PM
Account Disabled

I GET A SOLID 32 Hurtz @ idle, like I got on my 2G DSM, with teh AEM intake.

The car sets a map and runs it, so on a good day you have the computer set to run with a certain air Temp and pressure. Now it rains, with all that water, the is less air, humidity is VERY VERY HIGH, less 02, the car doesn't compensate for it right away, and stalls as it is starved.

Mine does this for like 10 mins, then it re learns and runs great.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

I have the exact same problem and it the aem intake. You learn to drive without stalling, but you should never have to. I'm thinking of switching to injen but the resell value of aem is crap.