Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Drivetrain Symptoms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivetrain Symptoms

Can we get a list going of all the symptoms related to the miscellaneous drivetrain problems the Evos sometimes have...

For example:

Transfer Case
Throw Out Bearing
Clutch Chatter

etc...

My clutch has started chattering when its cold or when i try to start up a hill.. my tech told me its normal. (I don't believe him.)

Also, I get a gravelly noise when decellerating in 3rd and 4th gears. (I was also told that was normal.)

What should I check out?
Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

i would hope that your clutch doesn't chatter, if you have the stock clutch, mine never did....until i went with a better clutch.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

in the morning before the drivetrain is warmed up, clutch wont be very smooth... and when you go up hill, what rpm is it when your clutch chatters? your whole car will chatter if your going up hill and your rpm is too low.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

my clutch makes a very faint rattle noise that goes away when i push in the clutch all the way and comes back when I release it. Is this normal. also I sometimes get a little gravel like noise on high rpm decelleration in any gear.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Guack007
my clutch makes a very faint rattle noise that goes away when i push in the clutch all the way and comes back when I release it. Is this normal. also I sometimes get a little gravel like noise on high rpm decelleration in any gear.
I get the same noises... I think the clutch noise is the throw out bearing, and the gravel noise is the transfer case... I want to know how to explain it to the dealer so I dont get the "it's normal" BS. (Unless it is normal)

How can I tell if these parts are just noisy or are damaging something...
Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

I also get a faint rattle noise when I am in Neutral. It goes away when I have the clutch pedal pushed in. I suspect that is some what normal.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 10:34 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlewByYou
Also, I get a gravelly noise when decellerating in 3rd and 4th gears. (I was also told that was normal.)
Yup, that's the decel noise that Mitsu claim is normal. Mine sounds like rocks being shaken in a tin can and it's horrible. Never had it until I got rid of the stock clutch and it goes away when I press the clutch pedal.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

I also get those noises
Old Jun 18, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

I get the same decellaration noises. I am installing a new cluch and flywheel tomorrow, will let you know if it goes away.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

new clutch and flywheel usually amplify the deceleration noise ...
Old Jun 18, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justhadyourmom
should have got a wrx.
is it me or is EVERY post from this guy talking **** about evos OR "you should have gotten a wrx?"

man every forums has trolls =P
Old Jun 18, 2004, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

WR what

my evo makes all the noises your describing it made them when i got the car, i got it with .3 miles on it, it always made those noises its perfectly normal...
just drive it, its a performance vehicle not a luxury car, its going to make noises and decel whine, tire noise. transmission noise, differential noise
just drive it..
rick
Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:39 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

To bring this thread back to life...

Originally Posted by justrick
my evo makes all the noises your describing it made them when i got the car, i got it with .3 miles on it, it always made those noises
Up to here I have to say I can sign my name on the above statement only my car had 4 miles on the clock when I picked mine up. Same exact noises as described previously.

its perfectly normal...
just drive it, its a performance vehicle not a luxury car, its going to make noises and decel whine, tire noise. transmission noise, differential noise
just drive it..
rick
With this I don't agree with you. I just drove my friends Evo and his car has 0 (zero-null-nada) noises. I think that the deceleration noise is closely related to the idle noise/rattle/chatter or when clutch is not pressed in.

I actually experimented with my car and took it out on the highway and the decel noise goes away when I press the clutch. Then when just idling it's there, you can hear something rattling but when I turn on the AC the noises amplify. They are a lot louder.
So today we took his car for a spin because it was bugging me. Tried all of the above on his car (I was driving) and he's got none of the issues. We both got the car at the same dealer, they both have the same build date on the sticker only his car is different color.
Recently, I started experiencing some clutch issues when the car is cold and it *may* be related to the clutch going out too early issues I've been reading on this site for quite some time now.

Did anyone actually take their car to a dealer that was willing to inspect the issue? I know the dealer where I got my car is not going to do sx1t.
Thanks