Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What happened to my non-linear spool up at 3500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2004, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got just over 2k on mine and I feel exactly the same way - I've told myself that it was a combination of a butt dyno that was getting used to the torque and the oppresive heat in Florida (as compared to the only hellacious heat at the end of May when I bought the car)... but I really think something is wrong.

No boost gauge here, either - so it's possible to have a turbo that's either losing compression or otherwise wonky but still semi-functional, huh?

Let me know what you figure out, bro - I'll keep you posted if I find out what the problem is with my car (or my butt).
Old Jun 28, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

GO drive a civic for a while and then switch back to the EVO. Power will return
Old Jun 28, 2004, 04:45 PM

I took the dealership for a drive. Really, I had to drive them around town to show them my problems. As for the brakes, they now have learnt that they cause the steering wheel to shudder when braking lightly. They have the pads in stock. Is this work covered under warantee since I've had the vehicle just over 1/2 year and I haven't been hard on the brakes?

As for my boost, they still don't belive me. They "say" it drives like all the other EVO's they have, from 1 mile on the ODO and up. I will tend to disagree as it felt more agressive before. I need a boost gage. Who is this RnR?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GOKOU
GO drive a civic for a while and then switch back to the EVO. Power will return
amen. or if you want to take it one step further you can do what i did and drive a kia for a week. trust me, after a week in the kia you evo will feel like an f1 car with a jet engine on it
Old Jul 1, 2004, 06:10 PM

The dealer said it was the solenoid after I pointed them in the right direction as I was still complaining all about it. The USA is back ordered and the part won't be in for another week or so. What is the purpose of this solenoid?

My rental, for the short time I had it, was a late model Honda Civic LX. I think I have my butt dyno recalibrated now again. "Come on baby, come on, almost up to 20, come on baby...."
Old Jul 1, 2004, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

The solenoid is a mechanism controlled by the ECU for boost control. Its job is to vary the boost pressure "seen" by your wastegate. The ECU modulates the voltage to the solenoid which in turn controls the boost pressure seen by the wastegate actuator. So the duty cycle of the solenoid (percentage of time in a given period in which it is energized) controls your boost.

The wastegate actuator opens at 10psi, so with a problematic solenoid your wastegate would always be seeing full boost and so you would be limited to ~10psi which is what you were experiencing.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

abrupt power is fun but it doesnt mean ur going fast.... good example is the 300ZX which had a big push when the turbo engaged but was slightly slower then the 350z.. which had a very smooth acceleration but ended up being faster....

smooth is a GOOD thing even if its less fun. when i first drove my stock evo, the power was abrupt... but after dynoflash, i feel the turbo kick in but the power is much smoother
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:24 PM

It is now July 13, 2004 and still no signs of a new solenoid in America
This has been like 2 weeks now and the dealer STILL has no idea when the backorder is going to be filled. No ETA, no hint, no sniff of steal And they are unwilling to "borrow" one from a 2004 model. What ever are they thinking, eh? I miss my pep.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 01:22 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by tcollins
What do I do if my dealer can't perform a "boost leak compression check"? Its in the shop now and they say they can't do this test. So they take it for a test drive instead and insist there is no problem? Not even when the steering wheel shudders when I lightly tap on the brakes at 65MPH do they find a problem with it. Is this shuddering normal? I think not because it is a new occurance.
do a search, you probly have just a shi load of brake dust buildup, this is normal. Do a search for warped rotors or brake dust on the forums, this is pretty common so I'm told, with our cars.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 01:34 AM
Evolving Member

Bad for warranty but just get a manual boost controller and take that POS solenoid out of the picture...

for 50-100 bucks you can ressolve your problem and boost will be at a pretty constant 19 psi...Big difference in power since it wont have a taper at high rpm....

But it will void your warranty,or you can just uninstall it when you head back to the dealer and get your new solenoid...
Old Jul 31, 2004, 08:04 AM

Got me a new solenoid on Friday. Since I make a road trip from San Diego to Canada, I got them here to do it. But it doesn't give any difference in performance. New solenoid = same performance problem. Could it be another bad solenoid? Could it be something else? The guy here will need the vehicle for a few hours to troubleshoot the turbo system. Can I point him in a quicker direction? Thank you.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like you have an intake leak. Have you tried tightening all the hose clamps on your intercooler pipes? The best way to track down intake leaks is to build an intake leak tester and pressurize your whole intake system. Leaks will be very audible.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html
Old Jul 31, 2004, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't want to make one, Mach V sells one. The 2" one should fit our stock turbo inlet.

http://store.yahoo.com/machv/macvleaktes.html

You can bring this thing to the dealer and have them pressure test your intake system.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Go ahead and gently tighten up the hose clamp on the blow off valve with a 10 mm wrench. Don't overtighten it - the stock blow off valve is plastic. Check the other ones too.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...mps+boost+flat
Old Nov 8, 2004, 01:49 PM

To continue the saga: After all this time, I finally got me an Apexi EL2 boost gauge with fancy controller box ya da ya da ya da. Comes with nifty peak function Starting off around 2500-3000RPM in 3rd or 4th gear shows that when I give it some go-juice, when close to 3500RPM, I'm blowing ~130kPa (~19PSI). But no turbo surge. Also, no pshhh when I lay off the gas. What happened to my pshhhh? So, it would seem that I can get 19PSI (130kPa) at 3500RPM with no surge and no pshhhh when I lay off the go-juice. Is this correct? Does 130kPa mean I have no leak? Or could I still have a leak? Am I just crazy? What else could be wrong? The dealer says that all is well and drives like every other EVO out there; even with my missing pshhhh. Do I go to another dealer? Thank you

Quick Reply: What happened to my non-linear spool up at 3500 RPM?