Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:21 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys crack me up. First someone interpreting ft/lbs from in/lbs and then flaming the guy with the correct info, then another person who slaps stuff on in some frenzy without taking time to think the job over and observe normal procedures. (ie, replacing gaskets and thinking things over before jumping into a job that's not the mechanical equivalent of an oil change)

If you need an instruction kit maybe you should have someone else do it? I don't know.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

I personally don’t have the Buschur’s fmic kit, but I’ve had fmic’s on my last 2 dsms. Both installs were pretty involved. All DIYers have to start somewhere. I learned off my 2 DSMs over the past 6 years. Having instructions to use for reference would definitely help everyone, especially for DIYers at the beginner level, and would save people time from having to figure the less obvious things out. As a product designer, you’d want to cover all your bases. If something were to go wrong, like in this situation, you can just point to the instructions. In my book, a part that comes with instructions seems more thoroughly thought out and has a higher quality value.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
You guys crack me up. First someone interpreting ft/lbs from in/lbs and then flaming the guy with the correct info, then another person who slaps stuff on in some frenzy without taking time to think the job over and observe normal procedures. (ie, replacing gaskets and thinking things over before jumping into a job that's not the mechanical equivalent of an oil change)

If you need an instruction kit maybe you should have someone else do it? I don't know.
peoples like YOU make me sick. here i am posting up pictures and questions and information for something like installation of an FMIC and you are flaming me saying that I am slapping stuff on in a frenzy....let me tell you something about me...i am a fanatic and am a perfectionist...just because i like learning and would rather do it myself than pay and have someone else do it and not learn a god damn thing (unless you are someone who doesnt like to learn and pay to have it done).

For everyone else who has been helpful.....for this guy above get out of my thread
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:34 AM
Account Disabled

you yourself said something to the effect of "i was excited so I went to throw it on" you went further to critisize the fit and design of Dave's kit on a public forum and associate an oil leak to his design when it was your amateurish installation job (and rushed) that caused so many problems) I was hardly critisizing you but now you seem to deserve it. I make you sick? Well toughen up.

"also FYI...the Buschur FMIC was horrible to fit."

"i was all excited and immediately started to get to work"

Edit again: If you're so upset at my post and at the same time such a perfectionist why ask for URGENT IMMEDIATE help after the fact? Why not ask for tips here prior to doing a job that you've never done?

Last edited by Bimmubishi; Jun 24, 2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a very easy time installing my intercooler.. the only issue I had was relocating the boost solenoid (due to the upgraded intercooler pipe) and finding a new vacuum source for the boost solenoid since on my kit, It didn't have a fitting for a vacuum source on the discharge pipe (the outlet of the turbo to the lower intercooler pipe) I've had my kit for some time so it may have been revised.

All of the issues I had with the install were due to inexperience.. I didn't have a swivel to get at the bolt on the turbo thats impossible to get at.. But we did get it together without removing ANYTHING unrelated to the intercooler.. We didn't touch the starter, oil lines, ANYTHING..

The only issue I had was massaging the bracket a bit to get it to line up with the holes on the radiator support (I suspect that the support was revised so the bolts on some cars are in different locations) and of course getting the bumper skin back on was a little difficult, but its a tight fit in there with the new intercooler.

I wish I had photos of the entire install.. Took about 3 hours to do the intercooler, Maf PIPE, and Upper pipe with two people.. I'm sure it would have taken longer if I had done it myself with no help.

I was missing the one little part that Dave was describing "Stainless coupling with fitting" but I didnt need it, nor would it have seemed necessary.

DIY projects like this do sometimes take a bit of improvisation.. their not always a true bolt-on fit, and some knowledge of how the stuff your working on and your own car is expected. It certainly didn't require ANY instructions for me to install this correctly since it basically went together similar to the way the stock one came apart.

This isn't a criticism of anyone's info or suggestions, but I did PLAN this install for some time, I installed some ancillary parts several weeks/months ahead of time (Mini BAttery kit) etc.. Specifically to verify that I wouldn't have problems starting the car in cold weather, etc..

The biggest mistake is rushing a job just to show it off.. Its too easy to miss things if you don't triple check them, then let someone else check again.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

"well now i seem to deserve it", boy are you ignorant. I was just stating the truth...and just so you know, the first post I stated was after spending hours to about 11:00 at night working on my car, so you can see why I was a little irritated, but it is funny, this post was informational until YOU added your 0.01$, since that all you have seemed to contribute to this thread.

Back on topic, I will post pictures tonight after I get the unit all together hoping that I still dont have any leaks. I have the gaskets for the oil lines and I will install that, fill her back up with oil, take her for a rip, and if all is well, off to the dyno for Al to tune.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:48 AM
Account Disabled

MalibuJack's post covered more "information" than yours did. Your post was "misinformational" -basically a rant followed by an open ended question about the condition of your turbo.

I think calling me names is against site policy by the way.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

malibu...thanks for your information. it is sad when someone tries to post information so that others can learn from others mistakes.

and BIM...if you read the whole post you will see that i apologized to dave/buschur for my original post. and as far as calling you a name....
Old Jun 24, 2004, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

damn i had no problem with my aps intercooler....
Old Jun 24, 2004, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i was probably too quick to jump on the fact that it didnt fit. i already called DAVE at buschur and apologized to him for my quick post about how it didnt fit. Yesterday I just took a rubber hammer and massaged it perfectly into place. Actually the intercooler fit pretty good it was just the lower intercooler piping that i had problems with. I hoping tonight I will install the oil line, fill her up with oil, and VRROOOOOMM....but as we mod our cars we learn something everytime we install something. Again, I cant apologize enough for jumping so quick down Buschur's throat. Jarrod and Dave were extremely helpful and I couldnt have received better service from them.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 05:39 PM

Well, I want to say something, you shouldn't have to bend or hammer anything. Period. I like the weight and power my Buschur exhaust made, but I know about a dozen people that have had problems lining up. I have also talked to about a dozen people on your Intercooler kit, and a lot of people have had problems with fit and finish. Several people have had problems with your lower intercooler pipes and several with the welds. I like the fact that you actually answer the phone (this may sound funny, but call several shops and find out) but I have held of on purchasing your intercooler kit for this reason. I'm hoping you're going to start doing more stringent pressure checks and give instructions with your products. Because I know you guys give good service and know the 4G63 as well as anyone.

And the internet is an open forum and it should be used for complaints and problems like this.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

The exhaust fitment requires some finesse and a good shake before you take the car off of jackstands.
The IC kit requires some patience to install, but it's one of the nicer kits out there and David doesn't kill you on the piping like other vendors.

The reason why I keep sending them my money is because of their excellent customer service. If something isn't right, they will go out of their way to make it right rather than lose a customer. Their pricing keeps everyone else honest, too, and I wish more vendors would run their show like Buschur does.

Joe
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

ok all thanks for the posts.....well tonight i installed the oil line....perfect no leaks, and i was able to tighten down the lower intercooler tube to the turbo today really good. well after taking it for a ride, the turbo NOW spools and sounds like a freakin jet...and i MEAN A SERIOUS WINE....it does not sound normal. So i figured it was a leak but, so i took everything off again and re-tighten...again, the same noise...a SERIOUS WINE. well so i took it for a RIP and right before i did this i damaged my boost gauge trying to remount it using the new autometer gauge pod and it now reads a 10mmHg instead of the normal 15 so it is tough to say whether or not i have a boost leak...but the car was strong, so i dont think i damaged the turbo...(question if I did in fact damage the turbo, i wouldnt be able to boost 20psi...right?) so i figured since it was running 5mmHg higher vacuum that it would read 5psi higher and i was right....there was no signs of leakage, except during the last RIP, the lower FMIC pipe popped off. The connector that I got doesnt really seem long enough, so the clamps keep popping off. Here are some pics...ALSO, dave, i have a Turboxs bov with mounting equipment so i used that for the stock MAF tube...here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems-fmic-installed.jpg   Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems-fmic-installed-2.jpg   Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems-lower-fmic-piping.jpg   Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems-piping-bov.jpg  
Old Jun 24, 2004, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

That lower IC hose is going to pop off.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

it does...constantly...i need to get a longer connector..i will find one tom.

thanks for the help 4G63, i really appreciate it

Quick Reply: Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems