Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2004, 09:09 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your turbo is fine I'd take that out of the equation. The leaky return line wouldn't damage anything.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
Your turbo is fine I'd take that out of the equation. The leaky return line wouldn't damage anything.
thanks BIM...sorry for the little tiff before...i just hate when things dont go smoot....but that should be expected.

as far as the boost controller being installed backwards, it has been installed for approximately 6 months the same way. I have the boost line from the wastegate and the vacuum from the bov

i am going to use a stock tube for the bottom FMIC pipe and cut it, and I am going to move the wastegate actuator out of the way a little so I can make sure that the lower pipe connecting to the turbo is in fact flush with the turbo.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 09:55 AM
Account Disabled

Is the leak at the J pipe exiting the turbo? Did you ever take that off to do the install? Is that the problem? A leak or the noise? Nothing suggests a bad DV,BOV, BV whatever it's called these days. The noise from a valve that's stuck shut sounds like a chit chit chit which is compressor surge. That wouldn't affect vac or boost levels though.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

The best way to find all leaks is to build with an intake leak checker. It should make the troubleshooting process a lot easier. Only problem is that you need an air compressor.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html
Old Jun 25, 2004, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, a leak tester is a good tool. I found I had a pretty big leak where BR's outlet pipe mated to the turbo. I had to make a gasket to get it to seal. I'm good for 30 psi now.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by propellerhead
Yeah, a leak tester is a good tool. I found I had a pretty big leak where BR's outlet pipe mated to the turbo. I had to make a gasket to get it to seal. I'm good for 30 psi now.
what did u use for a gasket?
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The coupling looks correct and from what I can see it looks to be pushed onto the intercooler and lower pipe far enough. Maybe you can just install some band clamps on the system, we have them here give us a call.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The FMIC kit comes with everything you need to put it on, couplings, FMIC, lower i/c pipe, new gasket for the lower i/c pipe to the turbo.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

The local autoparts store was closed so I ended up using some cardboard from the back of a notepad. I cut it out and soaked it with some Mobil 1. The thickness was just right to fill any imperfections. I haven't done a follow up check to see if it's still holding. I think it is since I still don't see the boost taper I used to before I fixed the leaks.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

The local autoparts store was closed so I ended up using some cardboard from the back of a notepad. I cut it out and soaked it with some Mobil 1. The thickness was just right to fill any imperfections. I haven't done a follow up check to see if it's still holding. I think it is since I still don't see the boost taper I used to before I fixed the leaks.
Hmmmm.. very creative. I hope you're only going to keep the cardboard gasket on temporarily. I don't think regular cardboard can handle all the heat and pressure cycles and still hold up. My main concern would be cardboard particles getting into the engine and intercooler.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

My BR kit DID come with an OEM gasket but it wasn't sufficently thick enough to deal with the slight warp of the flange, even after attempting to sand/grind it flat. Field conditions rarely are the same as back at the “lab”. It all worked out in the end.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What sort of taper were you seeing?
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
Hmmmm.. very creative. I hope you're only going to keep the cardboard gasket on temporarily.
As with a lot of things in life, it was intended as temporary but has been in service for about 4,000 miles. The way I look at it is only about 3/64s of cardboard is exposed to the intake tract. Under vacuum I doubt it will get sucked into the intake. It certainly isn't going to happen under 20psi of boost. I'll probably replace it before my next track day.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
What sort of taper were you seeing?
IIRC, even using my Hallman MBC I was seeing a taper from 20 down to 17 near redline. Now I've got some datalogging capability and when I hit 19.5psi it stays there. I mean it will fluctuate a half PSI or so, but it doesn't taper. Although not based on a whole lot of data, that said to me that my taper was due in part to leakage.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

well i went over some things again (at work ) i am a boss so i dont care and all my work was done. Anyways after speaking with Jarrod he asked me if I had placed the gasket on the BOV correctly. I thought I didnt, but after taking if off again and seeing that I had actually put it in wrong. I had the rubber gasket material facing the BOV instead of the pipe. I doubt that was the serious leak but we will see. Also, as far as that coupling, my friend here at work just gave me a KICK *** coupler specifically made for plumbing that will hold up to 130psi. Here are some pics. The cool thing is that the clamps are fastened to the coupling so they dont slide. Check it out.....

Also, here are some pics of my boost gauge with the car off, and with the car on...you can see it is busted. So i ordered a defi d gauge black face and had it overnighted
Attached Thumbnails Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems-boost-gauge-busted.jpg   Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems-coupling-apart.jpg   Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems-coupling-new.jpg   Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems-coupling-not-attached.jpg   Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems-gauge-busted-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need Immediate Help....Buschur FMIC problems