Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam Specs - Hard numbers, really!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any chance we can get this stickied? If we can I'll add the other info people have been asking for.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:45 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

I did a good article for Modified Mag on camshaft selection and what all the cam specs meen and how they relate to each other. It's rather in-depth but worth the read. It came out one or two issues ago. I still am working on a big cam comparison project for EVO8 cams, but it's still a ways off.

-Martin
Old Jul 30, 2004, 03:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AMS
I did a good article for Modified Mag on camshaft selection and what all the cam specs meen and how they relate to each other. It's rather in-depth but worth the read. It came out one or two issues ago. I still am working on a big cam comparison project for EVO8 cams, but it's still a ways off.

-Martin
Any chance of it getting posted on your website soon?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alleggerita
Any chance of it getting posted on your website soon?

yeah, what he said
Old Aug 4, 2004, 09:07 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I stickied this as it has some great info for those looking for new cams.

Mark
Old Aug 4, 2004, 09:34 AM
Account Disabled

Crower has cams for the evo as well. Here is the spec sheet for them.

Old Aug 4, 2004, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm, those specs would imply that the ramp rate of the Jun 272 cam is much more aggressive than the Piper Race cams....
Old Aug 5, 2004, 05:30 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Only problem is the articles take a lot of room and I've been getting my *** kicked on bandwidth on my website, does someone here have room to hose them?

-Martin
Old Aug 5, 2004, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Martin,

How much space do you need. I'm sure I can host the images for you, to keep bandwidth down.

Shoot me an email. justdsm@hotmail.com
Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fenris Ulf
Hmm, those specs would imply that the ramp rate of the Jun 272 cam is much more aggressive than the Piper Race cams....
I would agree with that. The Pipers do have more lift though (12mm vs. 10.8).

One thing I have noted after getting my Piper Rally cams installed is that with a stock head and turbo, my Evo is esentially "over camed". Once I have the head ported and larger valves installed the cams should really come into their own.

Currently my Evo with Piper Ralley cams is putting out about 300 whp and 293 torque - on 93 Octane pump gas. My car has an XEDE for engine management, 3" turbo back exhaust and K & N Typhoon intake. That plus the cams and Ferrea valve springs and retainers are it for engine mods. Once I dial the boost back up a bit and do more tuning I should have even more power.

A huge thanks to Mark at Quantum Racing for getting me the Piper cams and Ferrea valve springs and retainers.

Last edited by erioshi; Aug 5, 2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by erioshi

One thing I have noted after getting my Piper Rally cams installed is that with a stock head and turbo, my Evo is esentially "over camed". Once I have the head ported and larger valves installed the cams should really come into their own.

Currently my Evo with Piper Ralley cams is putting out about 300 whp and 293 torque - on 93 Octane pump gas. My car has an XEDE for engine management, 3" turbo back exhaust and K & N Typhoon intake. That plus the cams and Ferrea valve springs and retainers are it for engine mods. Once I dial the boost back up a bit and do more tuning I should have even more power.

A huge thanks to Mark at Quantum Racing for getting me the Piper cams and Ferrea valve springs and retainers.
Thats funny. Your signature says installed:*** MMCA is watching etc ... and you listed your mods in the paragraph.

Anyway...what is Quantum Racing's website. I am researching cams. How is your idle?? This is very important to me because I would like a fast car with plenty of room for power but dont want a drag car.

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2004, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Also, In forth gear, what rpm do you hit 20psi at?

I currently hit 20 around 2900RPM turboback, intake, MBC @ 20PSI and dynoflash
Old Aug 5, 2004, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TampaTurbo
Thats funny. Your signature says installed:*** MMCA is watching etc ... and you listed your mods in the paragraph.

Anyway...what is Quantum Racing's website. I am researching cams. How is your idle?? This is very important to me because I would like a fast car with plenty of room for power but dont want a drag car.

Thanks
Their website is: http://www.quantum-racing.com/ Mark is who I talked with.

Right now my idle is pretty good, but it has some room for improvement. However that idle is essentially "untuned". I'll be fixing the idle this weekend when I look at trying to build more power.

As for the "censored" in my sig, that is from quite a while ago. I should probably update it with something new. How would "My Evo has passed a Lamborghini Gallardo on a race track - at speed - twice!" look?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erioshi

More aggressive ramp rates will idle better than slower ramps with the same total off the seat duration, so that is what I am mainly interested in. This thread also needs stock intake and exhaust port flow numbers in 1 mm increments, else the lift specs of the cams really do not help much.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:32 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
The stock cams are milder than I thought. That's interesting. No wonder cams make so much power everywhere throughout the rev band in this car.

Quick Reply: Cam Specs - Hard numbers, really!