Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Jeff Hill (TurboTrix) ran a 9.7 w/ his Evo VIII...Anyone know what turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2004, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the stock motor will be capable of 10's on a big turbo and a ton of mods, like I said "We'll see" And umiami80 I have a gazillion 11 sec timeslips with the 550 vpc/gcc setup if you have any doubts.HEHEHEHE, And also YES plenty of those darn oil leaks on the 1g's too......Been there, done that................GOD BLESS!!!!!!
Old Jun 29, 2004, 01:37 PM
Account Disabled

i BELIEVE THE 11's pn the 20G and 550's, Race gas will allow a smaller injector, but 720's woulda got you 10's...... Did you have cams too or any head work??
Old Jun 29, 2004, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor

FYI .. buschur went 11.6 on the stock turbo. That was with tym switzer driving.. Ron from around here (NJ) went 11.7 on pump gas ..stock turbo. I agree with rick that 10's arent possible with that turbo. Stock internals are only good to about 28psi of boost.. At that point your pushing your luck with the stock ring lans on the pistons. The rods would hold the power ..but the pistons wont. Trust me when i tell you that the turbo is maxed out at 11.6 - 11.7 .. The closer you get to low 11's..the harder it all becomes .. Ask al .. he knows

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jun 29, 2004, 01:40 PM

Thanks Mark for clearing things up. Innovative makes one hell of a nice turbo. You get what you pay for so I don't mind paying extra if its necessary.
To everyone else thanks for the input, but before anyone goes off half cocked, take time to actually read my question. I asked if it were possible to go 10's on a stock motor....thats it! I said nothing of stock turbo. And I may be new to the Evo community, but Im a moderator on the RX7 forum and no newbie to drag racing. I've had two 10sec daily driver RX7's. SO when it comes to drag racing, I do know more than most. My lack of knowledge is in the Evo itself. I think Buschur's 580kit would do it and maybe Turbotrix's new kit. Should be interesting to see.
Oh, if you guys care, here are a few vids.....Peace

http://www.vosko.net/media/dragracing/ernie/
Old Jun 29, 2004, 01:41 PM
Account Disabled

I guess keep it below 28PSI, I guess like 25PSI on a BIG turbo would do it, like a 60Trim or bigger....
Old Jun 29, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

I will get you 1000 hp out of a stock bootom end on an EVO, hows that? How long will it last, you hit it on the head, "I dunno" but if you want a flash dyno reading, or a one time run, probably is possible, shove enough air and fuel in there and spin it hard enough it could happen.

But what are you trying to do here? You want a hand grenade? lets be realistic, 9's or even 10's on a stock bottom end. you had better watch your feet, cause that is usually where the crank will come out around when it gets spit out of the bottom end along with half of the other components. If you really, really knew and understood what has to happen to make that kind of power, and what the stock stuff offers you (Even some of the aftermarket components) you might think twice about putting so much faith in untouched shortblock, or the whole block for that matter.

Put it into perspective, you take a stock evo, and more than double the hp output. It goes from making about 70 hp per cylinder to making 150 hp per, and you dont want to touch the bottom end. Youre nuts. the motor is made from toilet paper to begin with.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 02:38 PM
Account Disabled

If you can not express yourself like an adult with no name calling, please do not post at all. next time you call somebody an idiot, you will be recieve a formal warning.

thanks

Blonde

Last edited by blonde; Jun 29, 2004 at 06:42 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

first of all, who is selling parts? I dont make or sell any parts so I really dont know what you are talking about.

Secondly, why do you get so defensive and sink to a level where you are name calling and being sarcastic?

Thirdly, please let me know how and when it works out that you run a stock bottom end in that time on your evo. I am really curious, all joking aside. After all, I am the idiot according to you, so educate me.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:04 PM
Account Disabled

see my post above. you are walking on very thin ice here buddy.

Last edited by blonde; Jun 29, 2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

stop, get back to the subject at hand. I should not have even said anything. Good luck with your engine, let me know when you reach your goal.

Last edited by darkhorse; Jun 29, 2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

I cant wait till the turbokit comes out, I was talking with Keith about it and it sounds to be an awesome setup Ohya Mark my Ats twin is working very well in my car and that LSD insert kicks ***. Pulls alot harder into the corners !!!
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:43 PM
Former Sponsor

You could prob do it on a stock bottom end.. But like said above ..how long will it last.... Dont forget these cars weigh more then the 1G does, takes it by about 200 lbs.. Yes people did it with the 1g dsm ..but a decent amount of weight was taken out of it. 10's is a very hard number to get to .. and 9's is even harder. Good luck

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jun 30, 2004, 05:52 AM
Account Disabled

Would 500WHP be Enough to get a high 10 Second Evo?
Old Jun 30, 2004, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Ernie, Dude GWASSUP MENG?? I was not trying to come off half cocked, just giving a heads up on the 10's not possible on stock TURBO, which I realized I had misread the post. Like I said I have had a few really good running DSM's and a Heck of a lot of crappy ones with plenty of headaches along the way also. I figured you might be new to the EVO, not necessarily to drag racing, thats why I said when you start dragracing (THE EVO that is) you'll find out on your own it isnt that easy. At least not as easy as the rotaries.......
Funny because right after I sold my 67 Big block Chevelle, I got into rotaries. Quite a few of those projects too....Rx-2 with 13b/Holley w/spray...80'sRx7's with 6port and Dellorto side draft carb. 3 Toyota Starlets with every combo possible, Holleys, Weber dual downdrafts,Nos,no Nos, peripheral port,street port,overlap, you name the nightmare I've had it. I finally gave up on buying apex seals, rotors, eccentric shafts, and gsl-se rear ends and bought a new white anniversary edition and enjoyed it till they stole it..........So Dude, I'm still a rotorhead too, love the sound of that 13K rpm that only rotors and bikes can do.
Your videos were awesome, I have a few of my Starlet going 10.80 down the track at the PanAmerican nationals at Atco in the 1990's.....Side to side dancing all the way, holding on for dear life,BUT I wouldn't lift....I'd rather roll it over
Anyways Dude, I apologize if you took me the wrong way....like I said just trying to give the heads up, not being a beanbag Good luck in the quest......
I'll be beating on the 4BANGR soon and see what it can cough up at the track and how low it can go on the stock block. Later, and GOD BLESS!!!!!

Last edited by DA-4BANGA; Jun 30, 2004 at 08:24 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

hahahah... Dang, you guys are high ballers!!!!!!