Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TPR Magazine EVO8 exhaust shootout.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2004, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Magnaflow makes a ton of import exhaust systems.

I can put a polish on our standard muffler for you if you think that will make you happier with it.

As for our SCCA legal system, it USE to use a reducer on it. A few months ago we changed the design of it so that it no longer uses any reducers. We had a special 3/8" thick 304 stainless steel flange cut that is 3" but still matches up to the stock bolt holes in the stock cat. Sweet stuff.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jul 2, 2004, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice man... Just curious.. I've been thinking about taking a week off sometime this fall and driving up (around 400 miles) to see you guys.. I'd like to get a clutch install / exhaust done would this be possible to do in a weeks time?

I really have lost all faith in local shops and I'd be much more at ease knowing the shop that's working on my car knows what they are doing. I haven't worked out any details yet but I wanted to check with you to see what you think.

Actually it's no further than Cleavland really.. 265 miles is what yahoo map says

Last edited by justchil; Jul 2, 2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 03:57 PM

Great post, very informative and helpful. Congratulations to you David... powerful and light, what more do you need. I just wish they could have included the Perrin system in this comparison as well… because that’s what I am running. I would love to see how it would have done.

Jason
Old Jul 2, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AcA
I wish busher muffler looked better than I would be all over it. Its quite ugly in opinion and magnaflow muffler is not what I am putting on my import. Its for domestics.
I have a full 2.5" turbo back with a magnaflow on my galant vr4 and it sounds bad a$$. Magnaflow mufflers has a very sweet sound on turbo cars
Old Jul 3, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Justchil,

We have a few versions of the exhaust. If you want the exhaust quieter then all we would need to do is install the Magnaflow muffler on the system. No difference in power, just adds 3 pounds to the system. Magnaflow option is only $20 more.

The Mackin Industries exhaust that is in this review says "Gram Light-Rays" on the tip. Looks like 3" but has a very short reducer right where it bolts to the converter.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
David, we are talking about the turboback exhaust (no test pipe), correct? If so, a post by yellow evo 2003 indicates the turbo back is about as quiet(with magna flow) as the stock. Is this the case? Or is as quiet a 20db difference vs 5-10.

Thanks.

Last edited by blackevoVII; Jul 3, 2004 at 07:47 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2004, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Crap, I messed up here, I missed two additional companies in the magazine that were tested. I thought the article ended on page 58 and it ended on page 61.

Other two companies tested were:

RS-R USA, their system was the GT-2. Other company was the Works Exhale Series. Peak number comparisons at the end of the pulls were the same as the others I mentioned in my first post under this topic. Actual peak power for each was good and on par with the others too.

The RS-R is 3.15" tubing, weighs 36 pounds and tubing is made of 409 stainless, that will eventually rust, same as stock system material. Cost is $639 for the cat back.

Works is 2.75" tubing, all 304 ss, no weight available. The system does NOT have a muffler in it. It is available as an axle back (no muffler) for $299 or a cat back (no muffler) for $439. Just has a 4.5" tip on it.

Sorry I missed those two.

There were actually 11 systems tested against each other, not 9 like I posted at first.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jul 3, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

JIC & Magnaflow = same

I'm pretty sure the JIC and Magnaflow are the same....which, luckily, I have - I bought it based on weight savings and straight appearing tubing - I'm glad it beat out the others....I bought mine used for the price of Buschar. Otherwise I would have gone with BR.

FYI, Kakimoto makes THE straightest, best flowing and lightest exhaust overall for the EVO......I have yet to see an American vendor carry this exhaust - I have no idea how you can get one

Edit: regarding the above kakimoto statement, I don't know what the f*** I'm talking about! I was thinking of the wrx/sti, which I owned at one time....sorry.

Last edited by Flames-666; Jul 3, 2004 at 11:06 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2004, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

What does the Kakimoto weigh and what size tube?
Old Jul 3, 2004, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

dunno if you missed my post or not.. was kind of off topic.. ill try asking some other time
Old Jul 5, 2004, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for deleting my post admins. I wondered why David never replied about coming up for clutch/exhaust install. I realize it was a bit "off topic" but it took me time to type it all out. Now I start all over.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
David
Any chance on you running a special anytime time soon?
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

justchil,

Send me a PM and I will answer whatever the questions were, I didn't see them.

ride22,

We were thinking of running a sale, oh what the hell, let's do it. I think what I will do is just offer the complete systems with no shipping, minimum we charge to ship a system is $55.

This will mean you can get our complete system and the offer is only on a COMPLETE system for $820. This will be the downpipe, offroad pipe, catback with and YOUR CHOICE of muffler, ours or the quieter Magnaflow at no additional cost, the 3 SS band clamps and the installation kit.

Come and get it.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jul 13, 2004, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

David:

No big deal I've talked with you PM's a little about what I was needing. I'm just in the process of getting money together
Old Jul 16, 2004, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
David- Which make of downpipe & cat were used during all the testing? I read through the article on-line & I didnt see any mention to dp or cat type.

Thanks! Great job @ proving an awesome product @ a reasonable price!
Old Jul 16, 2004, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ordered one!

Quick Reply: TPR Magazine EVO8 exhaust shootout.