Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intercooler CO2 spray

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:10 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Somebody should rig up a small heater core inside of the water tank, then run the A/C lines through it before they head into the cabin. Perhaps with some kind of bypass solenoid so you don't completely freeze your water.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seen as how those spray kits hook to the outside of teh intercooler what about a intercooler that has all the co2 plumbing welded into the core adn all over the inside of the intercooler with a vent away from the intake so that is you run a nitrous cooler or co2 cooler it doesnt' make it to you intake and give you a 10hp boost just from nitrous entering the intake. just a thought.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

So you're telling me that if I were to be rear-ended by an SUV going a decent speed with an N20 bottle in my trunk that it wouldn't blow me up? I wasn't trying to use FaF to learn about cars...I would call it solely NOS then. I was just under the impression that under the impact of an accident, it wouldn't be very safe.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Neither would co2. It's not a matter of flammability, but rather the force if a tank ruptured. co2 is a relatively inert gas, but if it gets hit, and the tank ruptures, it would most probably have the same impact as if there were a no2 bottle under the same circumstances. I've seen a 118ci high pressure nitrogen bottle (carbon fiber) explode when a friend jumped behind a bunker. Only thing that saved him was the fact it was basically around the corner, with his arm fully extended. Best way to describe the way it felt (about 20 feet away) was a dry ice bomb in a 3 liter coke bottle x 10.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

well notrous bottles have a blodown tube...and a safety cap...if the pressure in the bottle exceeds 10k psi...it blows off a cap and escapes out of the bottom of the car....
Old Jun 30, 2004, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bottles are safe back there.

It would be sweet to have an intercooler with channels built into it that could run CO2 through its outter surface. That would be a good set-up.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

OK, thanks for steering me in the right direction.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

You guys might find this interesting. http://www.cryofuzion.com/diagram.html There are several parts to this Co2 system including nozzles that shoot the Co2 at the car next to you (when at a stop) to choke it. The intake cooler part looks interesting.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

the AC though the water tank would help, but the amount of HP lost to the pump would out way the gains. it would be cool (pardon the pun) to cool the water before a good run or inbetween setions at a track day! you could up to % of antifreze in there to help stop the water from freezing. anyone know how cold the AC gets?

Chris
Old Jul 7, 2004, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OK, so testing of this stuff hasn't been as great as I expected. First off my sloenoid can't handle the pressure. CO2 is low pressure compared to the 1500+ psi of nitrous, but my solenoid still leaks like crazy. So as soon as I pressurize the line my solenoid opens and the CO2 starts flowing. I'm going to need a more high pressure solenoid, than the $40 grainger one I have.

The next problem is that the CO2 isn't high enough pressure to really come out of the entire length of hose I put across the intercooler. I thought I would be able to see the CO2 come out in "white" vapor all across the intercooler. That is not the case, it makes a lot of noise, but it isn't pressurized enough to stay in a somewhat liquid phase and "ice" the intercooler. So I'm going to remove the hose and replace it with two nozzles pointed at the intercooler.

The last problem was brought above. The CO2 chokes the car. I sprayed the intercooler for about 30 seconds with the car parked, and after about 20 seconds the car started to idle rough and kinda stutter. The car was getting CO2 vapor in the intake and it was struggling. My car has the stock air box with a K&N panel filter.

So as of now the whole setup is kinda shifty. With some changes I think that I'll use it to "freeze" the intercooler on hot days prior to autocross runs or pulls. I'll do it about 30 seconds before I start, with the car turned off. Having the intercooler cold does make more power, on hot days, but in the freezing winter it's trivial.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 01:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BuLocal
You guys might find this interesting. http://www.cryofuzion.com/diagram.html There are several parts to this Co2 system including nozzles that shoot the Co2 at the car next to you (when at a stop) to choke it. The intake cooler part looks interesting.
lol. To choke the driver!

Anything under pressure could explode. What do you think Granades are? They just explode easier, but imagine a stainless steel flying all over your face... that's not fun.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 01:31 PM
Account Disabled

you should try to freeze the piping and not the IC.

Maybe that would work better.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

could you not spray compresed AIR into the intake track? this would have no effect (that i can see) on fueling as the presure would equel out thanks to the wastegate, but would provide some good cooling effect in a simmilar way to N2O does!

it would help if you cooled all the itake piping after the turbo. you could fill your intercooler (on the out side) with dry ice (CO doen't exsist as a liquid only as a gas and a solid!!!!!!). this is what F1 teams do to stop the cars overheating on the grid! would remove all the heat before the run! you could also make a tank to fit around the upper piping and fill that full of ice. you could leave that in for the run as well!

take a look at a thread called ceramic coating i think! very good and would help keep under bonnet temps down, helping in the quest for a cold intake. also have you concidered lifting the rear of the boonet and removing the luvers on the bonnet to help promote air flow (thus hetting the hot stuff put)? how about wraping the cold intake track in a thermal barrier?

thanks Chris.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:55 AM
Account Disabled

i still like the idea of spraying the driver. maybe with some stinky water