Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intercooler CO2 spray

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2004, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Intercooler CO2 spray

I had some parts sitting around so i put this together just for fun. CO2 tank is from paintball gun. The sytem runs off the factory water spray system with a toggle switch. The switch up runs the water like normal. The switch down runs the CO2 instead of the water, so I can spray it manually or the car will do it automatically if temp rises.

INTERCOOLER

SOLENOID

TANK

CONTROLS

I still need to fill the tank and do some testing.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats cool, I was wondering when someone was going to try and use a paintball co2 tank and make something like you've done. Why don't you try 114cu inch fiber wrapped tank?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

I don't want to have to spend money. I had the 20 oz tank sitting around. I have a 20 lb bottle for refilling the small tanks so I figured I didn't need something big in the trunk.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

how did u do that...do u see any performance gains
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

you do know you installed it wrong right? the back wiper fluid reservoir is for the front and rear windows... the front wiper fluid reservoir (in the engine bay) is exclusively for the intercooler spray.... (someone please correct me if im wrong)..
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

^ You are correct
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

My setup has nothing to do with water tanks. The bottle just happens to be near the wiper fluid tank. The electronics and such are infact "tapped" into the motor wires for the engine bay mounted intercooler spray tank. I haven't tested it yet, I just finished the project and haven't filled the tank yet.

I'll have some results of testing soon. I expect that on a hot day here in the desert it should make a difference.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

oh ok thought you were replacing the rear reservoir..... was wondering if you'll get power gains from cooling the windshield with C02
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Jared nice work man. I hope it works well. The only bad thing i have heard from CO2 instead of NO2 is that if you suck the CO2 into the intake it will displace the air. So in theory it could hurt your performance. But you have they stock intake so i wouldn't worry about sucking to much in. If you had a cone i think you might have a problem.

Ben
Old Jun 29, 2004, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Good idea! I wonder how many shots you get out of that bottle?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Try compressed air in the tank or you may even be able to get a little N2O in there
Old Jun 30, 2004, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

CO2 is the coldest stuff you can send out of a bottle. I think that I should be able to "freeze" the intercooler completely 2-3 times on that bottle. I don't plan on really spraying it while I'm moving fast. The plan is to use it to get the intercooler super cold right before a pull. That way CO2 won't get into the intake.

I went to fill the tank last night and it had a leak in the pin valve and the guy said he couldn't fill it. I seem to remember it had a small problem like that. Anyway, I pulled it apart and cleaned it up and increased the spring tension on the pin valve, so I should be able to test it tonight, or maybe at lunch.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Oooo...I'd feel a lot safer running a CO2 tank than an N2O tank in the trunk. This looks really cool and functional too. I hope it works.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

you DO know that N2O is completely harmless right? please dont use fast and furious to learn about cars lol.... N2O itself isnt flamable, with the right amount of energy it breaks up and basically provides the combustion chamber with more oxygen particles.... picking n2O OR cO2 on the IC will just depend on which is colder only...
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
you DO know that N2O is completely harmless right? please dont use fast and furious to learn about cars lol.... N2O itself isnt flamable, with the right amount of energy it breaks up and basically provides the combustion chamber with more oxygen particles.... picking n2O OR cO2 on the IC will just depend on which is colder only...

i second that........ if cold is what your after put ice in the intercooler sprayer tank

Quick Reply: Intercooler CO2 spray