Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Greddy Turbo Upgrade Kits

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2004 | 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Greddy Turbo Upgrade Kits

I was curious if anyone has or knows anyone with any one of the Greddy turbo kits. I see alot of talk about smaller local (us shops) coming out with their own kits. But it just seems that someone like Greddy or HKS would be a better (yes more expensive in some cases) option since they have been making kits for the EVO for a while. Yes I understand most of these shops have been working on the DSM's which is very similar. But anyways back to the question, anyone have any info on the Greddy kits. thanks
Old Jul 3, 2004 | 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

stay away from greddy they come apart , do well for a while and break like a cheap watch like john kocinski the gp racer as kev shwantz used to say.

hks are excellent but their manifold cracks, u need to get a bracket made, vibration makes it suffer

or get a garrett gt series, their excellent with a nice strong manifold , external wastegate etc
Old Jul 3, 2004 | 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

I know 3 guys with the Greddy 25G kit.. It's a Mitsu turbo.. They won't die!! It's very hard to kill a mitsu turbo.. Garrett on the other hand, put too much work on the turbo (Poof)!!

The 25G kit is a nasty mother... It'll make all the power you need and the spool-up time is relatively quick... Sure you can get a ballbearing HKS unit, and it'll spool 300 rpms faster (big deal), but it won't make the power that the 25G will... I've had plenty of experience wqith the mitsu 25G.. Had it on my 1st gen... Sold the car with it on, with almost 70,000 miles with it.. I'm a dummy for letting it go....
Old Jul 3, 2004 | 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

sorry to say my friend ive had the greddy 25g, gt3240 and the gt3542 and another truck turbo now

greddy 25g is **** and as proven by the uk evo tuners, they all used to use the 25g one time, aint good for long term

hks turbos are alot better and garrett is the same and cheaper.

hks turbos, their are many, gt3240 kicks the greddy 25g's *** like no ones business. and the gt3037s is a better all round turbo than the 25g greddy.

i previously made with alot of restriction coz of my 2.3 4g64 caused alot of back pressure (2.5 bar back pressure) with my gt3240 and loosing power coz of my 1600cc injectors with hydraulic cams not even solid profiles and solid lifters i made 607, 611bhp and 550 ft torque with race fuel at 1.7 bar on a dyno not a rolling rd , it couldnt make more power over 1.7 coz of the back pressure, housing was far too small to suit, it was good for the 2.2 and the 2 litre cranks.

and super unleaded it made 540 bhp and 485 ft torque.

thats what i call a turbo it was fully spooled by 4000 revs done by norris designs simon norris one of my really good friends and a brother like.

and now with a garrett gt3542 again with only 7500 revs to play with it made 665 bhp and 610 ft torque on race fuel and 575 bhp and 535 ft torque on super unleaded

their awesome turbos.

i recommend the garrett gt series anyday followed by the t66 turbonetics.

will keep u updated on my 1000 bhp ball bearing turbo again a garrett.
Old Jul 3, 2004 | 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

if u want a turbo mate

check out these ones

http://www.atpturbo.com/
they seem good for prices
Old Jul 3, 2004 | 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbo13
I was curious if anyone has or knows anyone with any one of the Greddy turbo kits. I see alot of talk about smaller local (us shops) coming out with their own kits. But it just seems that someone like Greddy or HKS would be a better (yes more expensive in some cases) option since they have been making kits for the EVO for a while. Yes I understand most of these shops have been working on the DSM's which is very similar. But anyways back to the question, anyone have any info on the Greddy kits. thanks

Greddy turbo kit for the EVO is expensive and not even complete or bolt on. needs alot of work and huge lag. go with garret turbos dual ballbearing.
Old Jul 3, 2004 | 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by moses evo
if u want a turbo mate

check out these ones

http://www.atpturbo.com/
they seem good for prices

whats up moses nice to see you here. I cAN'T POST ON LANCERREGISTER BECAUSE THEY WANT ME TO SEND THEM SOME FEE. oh sorry for the caps
Old Jul 3, 2004 | 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

So what kit would you guys go with? That all makes since, I think I would go with the ATP kit and go custom tuning.
Old Jul 4, 2004 | 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

I have the 8cm 25g bolted to the bottom of the stock cast manifold from a 2g dsm. On my 7.7-1 compression 2.4 the spoolup is amazingly quick. Full boost at 4100 or so. At 25.5 psi it makes around 470whp on 93octane. good for 10.89 and 130mph in the quarter. I have no doubts the turbo will make around 510-520 at 32 psi. In my opinion the 25g is awesome turbo. This opinion comes from it mated to a cast manifold and in 8cm form. most evo guys who buy the greddy kit opt for the 10cm which I think does nothing but add lag.
Last month a SRT-4 here locally dynoed 529whp on a 8cm/25g at 32psi.
Old Jul 4, 2004 | 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I have the 8cm 25g bolted to the bottom of the stock cast manifold from a 2g dsm. On my 7.7-1 compression 2.4 the spoolup is amazingly quick. Full boost at 4100 or so. At 25.5 psi it makes around 470whp on 93octane. good for 10.89 and 130mph in the quarter. I have no doubts the turbo will make around 510-520 at 32 psi. In my opinion the 25g is awesome turbo. This opinion comes from it mated to a cast manifold and in 8cm form. most evo guys who buy the greddy kit opt for the 10cm which I think does nothing but add lag.
Last month a SRT-4 here locally dynoed 529whp on a 8cm/25g at 32psi.

are you guys using some hybrid turbo? frankenstien?

The 25g has put down alot of power no doubt, but the greddy 25g kit isnt that high quality for the money you pay. You dont just look at the turbo when you buy a whole kit, the manifold is just as important as the turbo and I have seen 3 crack from different kits. Its due to too much weight being held by the manifold, some sort of bracket should help solve the problem because they all crack at the flange area near the turbo.

But I prefer the new GT Garrets, similar price, better spoolup, better transeint response, easier and probably cheaper to rebuild and many more options and choices when its time to select a turbo. whether it be combinations of wheels, exhaust & compressor A/R's etc.

My personal opinion, a Buschur kit is more than what a street car needs. maintains the heat shields, long lasting manifold and proven. for an all out setup I would opt on a Fullrace manifold and some combination of a Garret turbo most probably the GT35R.

Last edited by sloweclipse; Jul 4, 2004 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2004 | 07:34 AM

Unless you want to spend more money, and in most cases get an inferior part, don't buy JDM. Check out AMS, RnR if you want tubular. And check out Buschur and ATP if you want a cast manifold.
Old Jul 4, 2004 | 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

hi azar hows u bros and nice to see u here too

i only come here sometimes and hows things

bros u have the website link for rnr i want to have a look at their manifolds

cheers
Old Jul 4, 2004 | 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.rnrracing.com/cgi-bin/ccp5/cp-app.pl
Old Jul 4, 2004 | 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

thanks bros i had lost it, i got it from reims in the uk forum

cheers,emailed them earlier for something

and thanks
Old Jul 4, 2004 | 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by moses evo
stay away from greddy they come apart , do well for a while and break like a cheap watch like john kocinski the gp racer as kev shwantz used to say.

hks are excellent but their manifold cracks, u need to get a bracket made, vibration makes it suffer

or get a garrett gt series, their excellent with a nice strong manifold , external wastegate etc

moses i dont agree with you on that one
greddy kits are pretty good, strong cast iron manifolds,
non ball bearing turbos, which everybody knows are stronger and last longer then bb turbos. And when you consider price, 1500-2 grand less then HKS, its a great bargain, imo

th

Last edited by maki; Jul 4, 2004 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Greddy Turbo Upgrade Kits