Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

having major drivetrain problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the same problem last weekend heading up to the st. iggy cruise in michigan. the car would out of nowhere shake and rumble, when i let off it would stop, but when i started to step into it it would get worse. not to mention when i stepped into it on the freeway, i wasn't watching my speed, but the state police on the side of the road was, i got knicked for 93 in a 70 zone. my car hasn't did it since, and it never did it under heavy acceration. i think i ll be doing a comp. test and plug check first thing tomorrow. thanks for the tread and the help
Old Jul 7, 2004, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
Sounds like the 0300 cel Random Misfire plaguing some Evos....including mine. Have you had your cel checked?

SC~
Does the exact same thing for me every once in a blue moon. P0300 cel for sure
Old Jul 7, 2004, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BYBYSTI
i had the same problem last weekend heading up to the st. iggy cruise in michigan. the car would out of nowhere shake and rumble, when i let off it would stop, but when i started to step into it it would get worse. not to mention when i stepped into it on the freeway, i wasn't watching my speed, but the state police on the side of the road was, i got knicked for 93 in a 70 zone. my car hasn't did it since, and it never did it under heavy acceration. i think i ll be doing a comp. test and plug check first thing tomorrow. thanks for the tread and the help
that is what its doing exactly... watch out, it will eventually get worse. what is the po0300 code associated with? i do have emanage, but i never have acessories on with no engine(m,aybe the radio while working on it). il check my plugs, but that doesnt explain why it can drive normal around town. i floored it a couple times yesterday, it gave strong power like normal. if i give it gas when it does the problem, it feels like car will fall apart or blow up. the shaking isnt actuaqlly that bad, but to me i feel it will break something. what does a bad coil feel like?
Old Jul 7, 2004, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have your car reflashed by a vender of your liking (I went with dynoflash) you won't get that code any more.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo 8 ya
If you have your car reflashed by a vender of your liking (I went with dynoflash) you won't get that code any more.
i already have emanage, how do i correct it without a reflash?
Old Jul 7, 2004, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
make sure your mass MAF is plugged in

I forgot to plug in the maf once and I couldn't rev past 4000rpm.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

not true, I have the works p2 and get it only now. It sure sounds like the same exact thing as a misfire.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 08:03 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you taken your wheels off recently?
Old Jul 7, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

This is not correct information.

Most of the Vendors have backed away from their claims that their reflashes erase the occurrance of the 0300 random misfire. Most will at most commit to their flash only reducing the number of occurrances these days. So don't bet on it curing anything.

The random misfire is caused by an overly sensitive knock sensor/program. The sensor hears road noise and other harmonics created by the car on a freeway, it improperly transmits those road noises to the ecu as engine knock....then your ecu compensates for what it believes is very harmful engine knocking in an attempt to keep your engine from grenading. That is the misfiring/studdering/shaking you feel when at light throttle inputs.

I am dealing with a particularly severe case of the 0300's. I get that stutter like 4-6 times each day on my 10 mile commute to work.

I have to operate the throttle like it is an on-off switch if I want to avoid getting the error....but it is just not appropriate or safe to drive this way in fairly heavy freeway traffic.

Mitsu apparently has a fix on the way for this problem in the way of an ecu reflash. Over the past 6 months I have heard countless people saying that the fix will be here shortly.

SC~
Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
This is not correct information.

Most of the Vendors have backed away from their claims that their reflashes erase the occurrance of the 0300 random misfire. Most will at most commit to their flash only reducing the number of occurrances these days. So don't bet on it curing anything.

The random misfire is caused by an overly sensitive knock sensor/program. The sensor hears road noise and other harmonics created by the car on a freeway, it improperly transmits those road noises to the ecu as engine knock....then your ecu compensates for what it believes is very harmful engine knocking in an attempt to keep your engine from grenading. That is the misfiring/studdering/shaking you feel when at light throttle inputs.

I am dealing with a particularly severe case of the 0300's. I get that stutter like 4-6 times each day on my 10 mile commute to work.

I have to operate the throttle like it is an on-off switch if I want to avoid getting the error....but it is just not appropriate or safe to drive this way in fairly heavy freeway traffic.

Mitsu apparently has a fix on the way for this problem in the way of an ecu reflash. Over the past 6 months I have heard countless people saying that the fix will be here shortly.

SC~
yes, that is exactly what im dealing with, it does it 6 times on my way to work. the pedal is like an on/off switch. i just scanned the obd2 and got the po0300 code. im glad its this rather than a busted diff like i was thinking.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

possibly naive suggestion-- I'm not familiar with this issue.

**disclaimer** try this at your own risk.

but if the P0300 error is an overactive knock sensor has anyone attempted to dampen/isolate the sensor? generally they are threaded in, and you could probably insert a rubber or nylon spacer. this moves the microphone away and also isolates vibration.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ColinL
possibly naive suggestion-- I'm not familiar with this issue.

**disclaimer** try this at your own risk.

but if the P0300 error is an overactive knock sensor has anyone attempted to dampen/isolate the sensor? generally they are threaded in, and you could probably insert a rubber or nylon spacer. this moves the microphone away and also isolates vibration.

Don't even try altering the signal of the Knock sensor for this is the sensor that keeps your engine from blowing up!! you don't want a silly ghetto fix to damage your $ 30,000 car. Fix it right.

I'd check my plugs first. maybe it's all carboned up. it's really hard for spark to travel if its all covered in carbon let alone in 19+ psi in the cylinders. replace them if neccesary. won't hurt to try .
Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

um, under normal conditions a knock sensor should be doing NOTHING. get an OBDII realtime scanner-- there are many varieties around including fairly inexpensive "hobbyist" type units-- and SEE what it's doing.

it's not a fricken oxygen sensor or cam angle sensor. when the engine is running right, the knock sensor does diddly. if you have the stock exhaust you should HEAR detonation and get the hell out of the throttle, anyway.

and now, back to your regularly scheduled ill-informed flaming.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ColinL
um, under normal conditions a knock sensor should be doing NOTHING. get an OBDII realtime scanner-- there are many varieties around including fairly inexpensive "hobbyist" type units-- and SEE what it's doing.

Umm.. I don't think his car is running normal. A knock sensor does something. It detects knock. It see's it all the time. If it detects to much, then it tells the ecu, then the ecu retards timing, ect.. to save the motor.

Just ask anybody that has a AFC II. Ask them how many knock counts they get while driving, even at idle.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 04:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
before going too crazy, if you haven't already done this, put in a new set of plugs.. I'd get misfires all the time and similar symptoms to what your describing until I changed my plugs. Now it doesnt happen at all. Just my 2 cents.. before getting too concerned, its a cheap easy thing to replace your plugs. I put one step colder plugs but I also run slightly higher boost than stock.

Quick Reply: having major drivetrain problems