Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

having major drivetrain problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2004, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine did the same thing. It was a burnt up coil. Make sure to check these when you change your plugs as I would do now. Also, after pulling the code, make sure to reset the CEL. I would bet on the coils and new plugs. My car did the exact same thing on the highway at cruising speeds. Then I noticed one of the coils practically melted in half. let me knwo if I can help more. good luck and Happy Tuning!!
Old Dec 20, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rt turbo
the other day i noticed when on the interstate the car would loose power and shake.. if i gave it gas it would shake more and not speed up. today i was on the highway and it did it non stop. when it would start id let off the gas and it would be normal, boost normal, then a minute later it would do it again, i drov e for 15 mins and during that time it would do it right away, i almost couldnt get over 70mph. to me it didnt feel like the engine... it felt like my stealth did before the transfer case locked up. the evo would boost slower, as the car shakes or rumbles and it slows down. im pretty pissed right now because i just bought a gt30r turbo, and im broke . anyone have this problem? what does it sound like it going wrong... any suggestions are helpful. thanks,
Sounds exactly like mine. Mine only started shaking and rumbling after I installed an Exedy Single clutch. It does it around 80 mph, with only like 10% or less throttle. It loses power, shakes and rumbles until I let off the gas and the BOV releases the air. Then it is fine. But it will start up after a little bit with mininal throttle. It also only does it when it is just me in the car.

I took it back to the EVO mechanic who installed the Exedy clutch, and he rode with me and it never did it. He said it could be the harmonics are off in the car now, bc the flywheel is lighter than the stocker, but it is not harmful bc it is not happening constantly.

I was wondering if it could be the p0300 misfire. So I just called the EVO mechanic back and he said if it was the p0300 misfire it would be doing it constantly. He also said he could reflash it, but since I have a S-AFC that would have to be turned off bc it might cause the reflashed ECU not to start.

Does the mechanic's advice sound accurate?
Old Dec 20, 2004, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerEVOmann
Sounds exactly like mine. Mine only started shaking and rumbling after I installed an Exedy Single clutch. It does it around 80 mph, with only like 10% or less throttle. It loses power, shakes and rumbles until I let off the gas and the BOV releases the air. Then it is fine. But it will start up after a little bit with mininal throttle. It also only does it when it is just me in the car.

I took it back to the EVO mechanic who installed the Exedy clutch, and he rode with me and it never did it. He said it could be the harmonics are off in the car now, bc the flywheel is lighter than the stocker, but it is not harmful bc it is not happening constantly.

I was wondering if it could be the p0300 misfire. So I just called the EVO mechanic back and he said if it was the p0300 misfire it would be doing it constantly. He also said he could reflash it, but since I have a S-AFC that would have to be turned off bc it might cause the reflashed ECU not to start.

Does the mechanic's advice sound accurate?
it is the po300 code. the safc wil not interfere. but the reflash is bull ****. it doesnt do a thing. i had it done, and gues what, my car still does it. it did today.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

i just got the gt35r turbo. i have the same problem. the car would shake especially at WOT on fifth but sometimes it wont. we thought it was the stock bov. so i purchased the jdm mr bov. it got worst, now it shakes at third or second wihich it didnt do before. i will check my plugs tomorrow. and the little rubber tube that connects the bov to the engine is kinked-you guys think this causes it?
Old Dec 20, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

oh yeah- i have CEL too...
Old Dec 20, 2004, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

the p0300 reflash is supposed to make the knock sensor a little less sensitive from what I understand
Old Jan 6, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rt turbo
it is the po300 code. the safc wil not interfere. but the reflash is bull ****. it doesnt do a thing. i had it done, and gues what, my car still does it. it did today.
Mine is doing it under heavy acceleration now too. I was cruising on the interstate and passed this Eclipse, he sped up to pass me, but when I hit the accelerater the EVO started shaking and rumbling and loss power and he passed me. It is pissing me off bc if someone wants to **** with me, my EVO is not running right.

But when u hook up a ECU reader will it literally come up with P0300 misfire code? I had mine hooked up recently and the code for not having a cat and a misfire code came up. My mechanic said the misfire could be bc of overboost bc I have had boost cut recently.