Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Come on you Americans!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2001, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on you Americans!!

What's going on? I've been on this board for nearly a week and still no talk of nitrous?!? From what I heard that's how you tune in the US, or is that not true?
Is there a point of adding a nitrous injection to a turbo charged car, or is that only for big V8s?
Old Nov 19, 2001, 06:07 AM

Wink

very true MK. Still the Evo will be more than the yanks can handle in standard form

IMO Nitrous is a bit of a waste of time on a turbo motor. Its easier to raise boost.

Where it can be useful is to reduce lag. this is done by switching it in at lower engine speeds when you have no boost but have planted the throttle. The sudden increase in exhaust gases caused by the nitrous will spin up the turbo earlier. When the turbo really gets up to speed you turn off the nitrous.

However standard evo turbo's are very low lag anyway so I wouldn't bother unless you fitted a monster turbo.
Old Nov 19, 2001, 10:36 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I personally dislike nitrous systems since they're mainly used for drag racing and short bursts of power. Also, most the people that get them don't know what to do with it. They can prove very useful to an all out drag vehicle since many of them are running T-88 turbos with tremendous lag. Nitrous can eliminate that, but that's not as much fun as 2 days at the track where nitrous is basically useless, except on the straight.

Mark
Old Nov 19, 2001, 10:41 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I stole this from another post by team srr who owns a US spec Lancer:

"I just put i some NOS.
The car is runnign very well.....
I got it in te low 13' this weekend."

Looks like nitrous took a 16-17 sec car into the 13s. Not sure if that was on slicks or not, but that is a serious increase in power.

Mark
Old Nov 19, 2001, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Unless nitrous/kit is used only for racing,
It is illegal in California.... where you see many ricers.
It is also illegal to have the nitrous kit mounted without
the canister installed. One of my co-worker installed it
on his Civics for weekend racing use only. When he got into an
accident, his insurance would not repair his car unless he
removed the nitrous kit.
Old Nov 22, 2001, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by KK
I stole this from another post by team srr who owns a US spec Lancer:

"I just put i some NOS.
The car is runnign very well.....
I got it in te low 13' this weekend."

Looks like nitrous took a 16-17 sec car into the 13s. Not sure if that was on slicks or not, but that is a serious increase in power.

Mark

Righ-----t!

And I put a 250 shot in mine and ran 12's. It is going to take a lot of mods and $$$ to put the Lancer in the 13's. A LOT.
Old Nov 25, 2001, 09:49 AM

Talking turbo cars love NOS

ok boys, i may be new here but....

turbos love nitrous, for a few reasons
1. cools intake charge like WHOA
2. chicks dig NaWz yO
3. just turning up the boost won't make 150hp in a second, tuning the fuel, etc...
4. running a small shot will not only improve power, but spinup the turbos at lightspeed
Old Nov 25, 2001, 11:44 AM

ok

sorry, i didn't realize this was such an international forum, i think it's very cool.

number 2 is a joke that stems from the movie "The Fast and The Furious"
they refer to N20 as NOS or nawz(fonics), and they use it as this mystical power that all u need to do is slap on the car and run 10's.

n2o kits vary in difficulty to set-up, depending on the system. For most EFI kits, i would suggest a single nozzle type fogger, and a "wet-system" at that. A wet system mixes the n2o with fuel on the way out of the jet, u need to provide proper amounts of fuel to protect against blowing up your engine. Too lean or too rich is bad. Some n2o kits utilize the stock fuel setup, while others benefit from another fuel reservoir. Companies like VENOM make kits that will work with your stock injectors and when the mixture get's wacky it will shut the nitrous down. I do not know what kits are available yet for the EVO's, i am just waiting to get my own EVO. My S4 was stolen 1week ago, and i really want an EVO to be my next victim.
Old Nov 25, 2001, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Hello Klaudius, nice avater, eh!
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:31 PM

Re: ok

Originally posted by Prophet
number 2 is a joke that stems from the movie "The Fast and The Furious" they refer to N20 as NOS or nawz(fonics), and they use it as this mystical power that all u need to do is slap on the car and run 10's.
No they don't refer to N2O as NOS. They refer to the N2O systems sold by the company Nitrous Oxide Systems as NOS. They say "NOS" so much because the movie was sponsered by the company. To sum this up NOS isn't slang for N2O it's just a company that makes N2O systems.

Old Dec 1, 2001, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

I have to say, I understand. Watch one of the Shaft movies in original language and you'll truly understand, you dig?

Quick Reply: Come on you Americans!!