Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Innovate LM-1

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2004, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Innovate LM-1

Has anyone used the Aux cable for the Innovate LM-1 to pick up RPM? I have mine hooked to my tach signal output from my ECU and it is not working correctly.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 04:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Please post if you figure this out. I have an LM-1 but haven't done any datalogging with it yet on the Evo. I didn't have a problem with it on my Z28 though tapping the coil wire, which also drove my shift light.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Please post if you figure this out. I have an LM-1 but haven't done any datalogging with it yet on the Evo. I didn't have a problem with it on my Z28 though tapping the coil wire, which also drove my shift light.
i have yet to install mine, how does one calibrate it?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a calibrating method to it. I beleive you have to hold the car at 2000 rpms and hold down the black button on the rpm module until the light blinks, don't quote me as im not exactly sure. You can download a manual online at the innovate website.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

to calibrate it you hold it in fresh air and hit calibrate... thats what my manual says
Old Jul 12, 2004, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

If the car has not been moved in several days you can try to calibrate with the 02 sensor installed. Sometimes it will work. Over time the contaminated air gases defuse. That said you may well have to remove the sensor to get a good calibration.
Their support off their web site has posts, many posts about this sort of thing.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 06:50 AM
EvoM Guru

you can calibrate the sensor by doing a highway 4th or 5th gear run and let off the gas completely . This will clear all exhaust gases from the downpipe and should show you a 20.9 reading, if its far from that you need to press the "Calibrate" button and it will calibrate itself. This is the method that most people including Innovate themselves recommend.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by superz
there is a calibrating method to it. I beleive you have to hold the car at 2000 rpms and hold down the black button on the rpm module until the light blinks, don't quote me as im not exactly sure. You can download a manual online at the innovate website.

Tried that method and also using the laptop method. Neither worked.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

did you remove it and put it into fresh air and hit calibrate?
Old Jul 12, 2004, 09:24 AM

I think that we are talking about 2 different things here. Sccavee and I calibrated the O2 sensor just fine. It reads the correct A/F ratio with no problems (have to have it in clear air to calibrate it or use some of the other methods suggested) The problem that we are running into is getting RPM to work. His SAFC reads the RPM without any problems. We have hooked the LM-1 into the same wire on the ECU harness that the SAFC is using to get the RPM signal. I used a voltage tester and the measured volts they were around 4.08v and they did not seem to change much when the accelerator was pushed and the RPM's rose. At least the change was not a linear up or down in voltage as the accelerator was pressed or released. So how does the SAFC read the RPM's from this wire when the voltage is not changing? We did calibrate the RPM converter? by holding down the button until the red light flashes and running the RPM's at 2000. We also tried to manually calibrate it by going into the program on the laptop and using the setup function. Has anyone gotten the RPM’s to work on an EVO yet? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Shad
Old Jul 12, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i don't have the rpm hookup so... sorry i mis-understood
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:21 AM
EvoM Guru

I have the rpm module and I have datalogged plenty times with great accuracy. Go over the instructions again and if that fails you should give them a call.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have it on your Evo? innovate says some new cars don't have a tach pulse anymore on the tach output. They actually send a serial signal on the tach wire. Some others pulse-witdh modulate the tach signal (constant frequency). In either case the RPM converter will not work. Try to use the coil signal, hooked up as described in many post here by wrapping a wire around the negative coil lead.

Guess I will try that.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by nastea
yeah i don't have the rpm hookup so... sorry i mis-understood
NP. We are still learning ourselves.

Shad
Old Jul 16, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

So those with the Innovate LM-1 how are you picking up RPM on your Evo?

Quick Reply: Innovate LM-1