Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo running like #$%^

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2004, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm maybe i will go pull the plugs real quick and see if any thing looks screwed up there....i'll report back in a few.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Ok I pulled the plugs....nothing looks extremely messed up. The plugs overall look pretty clean. I'm not positive but it looks like some of the gapping may not entirely consistent. It may be an optical illusion of some sort...but I could almost swear the gapping is slightly off.....does anyone know what the plugs are supposed to be gapped at?
Old Jul 11, 2004, 07:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I gap my plugs at .026in, but you can gap from .026-.032
Old Jul 11, 2004, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

damn it looks like my gapper is in mm
Old Jul 11, 2004, 07:11 PM

Could be the fuel pump going bad.....
Old Jul 11, 2004, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

my gapper had in. on it....all the plugs are within spec....scratch that idea i guess
Old Jul 11, 2004, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

is there any way to test if the fuel pump is going bad?
Old Jul 11, 2004, 08:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Fuel pressure gauge on the injector rail... However its likely that would have "Shown itself" when they had their diagnostic tool plugged in, it would show as weird fuel trims at part throttle and major timing getting pulled..

Did they see the lb/min air flow rate change or become unstable while this happened?
Old Jul 11, 2004, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

That's a good question...they just told me that everything was reading the way it should be....not sure how in depth they got on the diagnostics. They tried blaming it on my gauge at first...so we bypassed the turbo gauge and got the exact same thing. Idiots...
Old Jul 11, 2004, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure how old this post is but i would check for a boost leek or your engine pulling timing. Just my .02
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how about checking your stock BOV to make sure you havent installed it backwards (a friend of mine was having some problems with his Evo and it end up being the BOV -stock- installed backwards)
Old Jul 12, 2004, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Nah its installed properly....like I said before..the problem only starts after the engine is hot. If it was specifically the valve it would suck from the minute you started the car.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Ok well i took my car to the dealership today because hte problem came up today. They looked at the waste gate and some other stuff and came to the conclusion that the stock BOV had failed. I have a Greddy Type-S but took it out because the car seemed like it was surging.....but then it also did it with the stock valve. Is it possible that the vacuum is messed up going into the valve somehow? My turbo gauge is reading fine as far as vacuum goes. The gauge is inline with the fuel pressure regulator line going into the intake manifold. Somehow I don't think it is the valve, but all there is between the valve and the instake manifold is some vacuum line...i don;t get it. Any more ideas?
Old Jul 13, 2004, 03:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Well, your gauge or the tap you put inline to the gauge could be causing the fuel pressure regulator to not rise with boost.. when you removed teh gauge, did you just cap the T fitting? or replace the hose?

You could also have bad coil packs.. or soemthing is affecting its output (bad ground or bad connection) so take a look at that stuff.. if its under warranty and they can't find anythign wrong, have them replace the coil packs and fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump...
Old Jul 13, 2004, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Two suggestions before you go insane.. Check your air box snorkle (if you still have it) make sure the front portion isn't missing its clips to hold it down..
I am just curious to understand how this could cause a problem? Could the snorkle get sucked upwards and restrict air getting to the engine at speed?