Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tubular VS Stock manifold

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2004, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marksae
Too bad their flanges aren't stainless to match the polished piping.
Actually on their website it says they are high temp coated, explaining the non-stainless look....
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:36 PM
Account Disabled

OK does anyone think a tubular manifold would help with low end power/launches? Less manifold pressure due to larger runners?
Old Jul 13, 2004, 11:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It should help low end torque a little, but only if its tuned as such, where it will help a little (assuming the tubular manifold is high-temp coated) is exhaust velocity and expanding gasses should lower the spool RPM's slightly, that in turn should boost power a little at lower RPM..
Old Jul 14, 2004, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

I kept the factory exhaust manifold. I have ported, polished, and ceramic coated it. Just another option for those who don't want the header. Check it out here: http://users2.ev1.net/~subaru/evo_web/evo_exhaust.htm

Old Jul 14, 2004, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Quick question, I actually just ordered the DNP manifold from Lancer Shop as well as a few other things, Studs, injectors etc. But Im not upgradng my O2 housing quite yet. Would that be any kind of problem not upgrading the O2 while upgrading to a tubular manifold?? Most people Ive talked to personally say no problem but I sa this thread and figured to throw it out there......

Last edited by Huscroft6; Jul 14, 2004 at 06:13 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

You will not have any kind of problems with the stock O2 housing. You could get a slight improvement going with an aftermarket one, or even porting the stock one but neither are neccessary. The stock piece is very good...
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
OK does anyone think a tubular manifold would help with low end power/launches? Less manifold pressure due to larger runners?
A tubular manifold will generally have longer runners which will improve lowend torque and and time to spool through the helmhertz effect. So yes it will help in launches somewhat.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

RNR racing has a sweet manifold for around $1000 it comes coated and is guarenteed to never crack.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Fenris Ulf
A tubular manifold will generally have longer runners which will improve lowend torque and and time to spool through the helmhertz effect. So yes it will help in launches somewhat.
Unless the volume is less or the same as the stock manifold I would not expect improvement in spool (assuming same heat retention within the manifold). However, less interference between cylinders may improve low end torque unless the length and/or volume of the manifold go up too much. In a turbo engine, in comparison to normally aspirated, the shorter path and retention of heat energy is much more important than the theoretically ideal length of the manifold with regard to gasflow interference.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alleggerita
Unless the volume is less or the same as the stock manifold I would not expect improvement in spool (assuming same heat retention within the manifold). However, less interference between cylinders may improve low end torque unless the length and/or volume of the manifold go up too much. In a turbo engine, in comparison to normally aspirated, the shorter path and retention of heat energy is much more important than the theoretically ideal length of the manifold with regard to gasflow interference.
I agree, but the exhaust for a turbo engine pre-spool is treated as an NA engine with a dynamic restriction, the turbine. Thus longer runners that are equal length will improve the strength of the twin scroll design, improving time to full boost. Once the turbo has spooled, the shorter runner and larger pipes will offer the least restrictive path to the blades and improve power in boost.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

The way I understand it:
Smaller runners increase exhaust gas velocity and will increase low-end torque and help the turbo spool faster, but becomes a restriction at higher RPM's.
Larger runners decrease the exhasut gas velocity hindering low-end torque and causes the turbo to spool a little slower but increases the high RPM power...
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

well i have run the JIC manifold for about 10k miles of hard canyon driving and the hot cali heat to boot and i have had no problems with it at all exept i went with a gt35r and a RnR equal length tubular manifold = X if anyone is looking for a JIC headers with 2000 degree thermal coating lemme know = )
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOeight
The way I understand it:
Smaller runners increase exhaust gas velocity and will increase low-end torque and help the turbo spool faster, but becomes a restriction at higher RPM's.
Larger runners decrease the exhasut gas velocity hindering low-end torque and causes the turbo to spool a little slower but increases the high RPM power...
Right, that is a generalization about runner cross-sectional area, but there are other factors at play. A longer runner will improve low end torque production because pulses traveling near the speed of sound reflect back through the runner once it meets the collector or a step in the runner. If timed right, these pulses will add their energy to the subsequent exhaust charge and thus cause an improvement in spool. Many factors going on here
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:00 PM

2.4 bar held on a stock manifold !!! also apt kit here in the uk well over 500hp so far !
i have fitted so many stainless manifolds NONE have ever lasted more than a couple of months before cracking even the HKS kits CRACK !!!!!!! save money and stay stock !!!!! as all my customers do
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Have you tried the RNR manifold evo400. I think it was moses or someone over there in the UK that just loves it. It will never crack.

Quick Reply: Tubular VS Stock manifold